Format: Audio CD|Change

on 12 February 2010
This is definitely not Couperin with a charmingly quaint antique air; Tharaud's approach is direct and immediate, and if it sounds 'modern', apart from the fact that it is played on the piano without attempting to imitate the sharp, dry sound of the harpsichord,it must surely be because Tharaud approaches it with his own intelligence and sensibility, and, it seems, without preconceptions. As with the superb Bach Italian concerto disc, the notes weave seamlessly into sustained discourse.
OK, so you are not supposed to play Couperin on the piano these days, but, hey, who cares when you hear something as good as this! I have plenty of Couperin on harpsichord and I like those CDs, but this Harmonia Mundi disc by Tharaud is really lovely.

I think this is a great CD to unwind with of an evening and it's brilliantly engineered. Comprising a well-chosen selection of works, the programme has been carefully worked out to avoid any longeurs.

One of my best recent purchases.
VINE VOICEon 16 October 2012
Alexandre Tharaud has recorded Rameau, Couperin, and more recently Bach and Ravel. All these discs have proved popular and deservedly so. They are delightful and especially this Couperin disc. At the moment there is a "Piano Season" on BBC Radio 3, with many programmes and recitals devoted to that instrument. Peter Donohoe in his "Fifty Great Pianists" which accompanies this series on the radio has been speaking of the French tradition in piano playing, with particular emphasis on Alfred Cortot. The precision, elegance, rhythmic flexibility and restraint characteristic of this tradition derives in part from the genius of Rameau and Couperin and their works for keyboard.

Tharaud's recital of an appealing and representative selection of Couperin's keyboard pieces is played on the piano but with a clear awareness of Eighteenth century performance practice. It is very beautifully recorded in a resonant but sympathetic acoustic. I look forward to hearing his Ravel again. Clearly the French tradition is alive and well. Highly recommended.
on 7 June 2015
Heard a track from this CD on R3 and bought the disc. Very glad I did. The works of the composer are new to me and the pieces featured here reminded me of much later music, Chopin or Brahms perhaps, and are lovely to listen to
on 6 May 2012
If you love Couperin and you love Alexander Tharaud you will love this CD. I listen to it at home, when working or relaxing, on trains, at the gym - anywhere and everywhere. Makes me feel relaxed and energised at the same time. I have it on my ipod and I buy the CD as presents for discerning friends. Wonderful music brilliantly performed.
on 11 June 2012
Have not got my cd yetHave not got my cd yetHave not got my cd yetHave not got my cd yetHave not got my cd yetHave not got my cd yetHave not got my cd yetHave not got my cd yet
44 comments|One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse