5.0 out of 5 stars Goth metal meets Abba!!!
Published on 8 Mar 2007 by A. Darbyshire

3.0 out of 5 stars Rather disappointed
Published on 1 Mar 2007 by Blackrose

5.0 out of 5 stars Goth metal meets Abba!!!, 8 Mar 2007
A. Darbyshire - See all my reviews
I loved At Sixes and Sevens (especially Sister Nightfall) and couldn't wait to get this album for more of the same. I was in for a surprise (a nice one though) for this album is really different from the latter but not a disappointment. It's sort of a mix between Within Temptation, Nightwish and ABBA (that's a compliment by the way!!) with a bit of Morten Veland's growling chucked into the mix.

This album is verging on pop but with an edge, the heavy feel is still there but the songs are extremely catchy and the combination of metal, choirs and female lead vocals are a winner. My personal favourites are My Mind's Eye, Sundown, The Other Side and Downfall. I'm not that keen on Glades of Summer though - a bit too soft but I can appreciate it's a pretty song.

If you like goth metal and beautiful vocal harmonies then you MUST get this album - it really is excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars AOR goes GOTHIC??!!, 27 Feb 2007
Ravenheart Music "Ravenheart Music" (Kidderminster UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Nine Destinies and a Downfall (Audio CD)
Certainly a lot more accessible than their earlier material, if AOR went gothic, this CD by Sirenia may be a good example as to what that genre may sound like! The vocals of Monika Pedersen are a joy to behold as she belts out some of the catchiest songs I have ever heard on a gothic album. She is helped on occasion by the vocals of Sirenia's master mind Morten Veland. The Sirenian Choir is featured on many of the tracks to also help to give it that gothy feel. All the tracks on this cd are awesome, while the European single 'My Minds Eye' would I am sure not sound out of place on UK radio! Although perhaps not appealing to the hardest gothic metal fan, I can only plead to anybody impressed by this review to check this cd out.

4.0 out of 5 stars ...goth plus the kitchen sink..., 12 Feb 2007
Mr. H "Mr H" (Embra) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
With the goth world in a degree of turmoil, it's a great time to try and make your mark. With the main players singerless, directionless or doing Elton John like ballads, those in search of choirs, growls, screams and portents will find a lot to love here.

Mainman Morten Veland has spent the three years since "An Elexir For Existence" finding splendid new singer Monika Pedersen and writing some fantastic songs which crib from Nightwish, Lacuna Coil and theGathering but with enough nuances to make it sound like all and none of them.

A fantastic album which no self respecting goth metaller should be without. Key track - "One By One" which I'm sure has a kitchen sink in there somewhere!

3.0 out of 5 stars Rather disappointed, 1 Mar 2007
Compared to Sirenia's earlier releases I thought this album was a bit of a disappointment. Not gothic enough (very limited growling from Morten, which I loved, and not much choir work going on either). If you don't like growling though you will definitely like this album, as the female voice is excellent. Catchy tunes (or should I say 'tune') but all the songs sounded the same to me - almost identical in fact. After a while I grew so bored of the same tune and annoyed with it that I had to turn off the CD player! My favourite song in the album was Sundown - the above-mentioned tune is worked to brilliant effect, and yes, Morten growls in this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pop goes Sirenia, 10 Nov 2007
Big Red - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Morten Veland has an odd band in Sirenia - a couple of changes in direction and now the third female lead vocalist in as many CDs (not counting an ep). I think this incarnation is the best so far. Monika Pedersen is a great singer, well suited to the current gothic pop/rock style, and the whole CD is more tuneful and melodic than the previous, more death metal sounding albums. There are very few death grunts here, instead the 'Serenia Choir' adds the gothic flavour, especially on the track 'Seven Keys and Nine Doors', my fave at the moment. Other stand out tracks are 'The Last Call', 'The Other Side' and 'Glades of Summer'.

The songs are quite simple and can grab you with a couple of listens, thanks to it's poppiness. But many of the songs sound similar, which is the main reason I can't give it 5 stars. I hope Monika stays with the band longer than the other singers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 17 May 2014
This review is from: Nine Destinies and a Downfall (Audio CD)
First CD I have purchased by this band and I love it. Vocals and arrangements are first class. The songwriting is excellent.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well balanced, 28 Mar 2014
E. Mika - See all my reviews
Sirenia's only long play with Monika Pedersen at the vocals, and also the only one I own and really care about.

A good balance of very symphonic goth metal, growling male vocals and a full bodied, dare I say sometimes even "Bonnie Tyler"-like groaning, female vocals.

The album is well balanced but lacks a bit of variety. The growling male vocals of Morten Veland are only heard on three songs, and if you ask me, his clear talki... I mean "singing" vocals would be better left for other projects.

Pedersen's voice is full, but somewhat flat at times - maybe showing that she wasn't "matured" into the band yet. Too bad the band's and lead vocalist's roads separated just after one album.

Put this in the bag with Angtoria's "God has a plan for us all" and you've got a good sample of 2006/2007s lesser heard, but worthwhile female metal.

5.0 out of 5 stars In My Minds Eye... I Spy A GREAT Album, 7 April 2013
Sirenia were introduced to me on the free download album Metallic Emotions- the track "My Minds Eye" is a great swirling, almost symphonic, rocker with amazingly sharp female vocals and heavy keyboards. So impressed was I by it I played it on my rock show (The Barnsley Rock Show) and also requested it on the Friday Rock Night over on Felixstowe Radio. On both shows it went down a storm, so I downloaded their first EP only to find that THAT EP was what could be designated ORC Music. Only one track had lead female vocals and the kind of structured heavy melodies that My Minds Eye incorporated. To say I was disappointed was an understatement.

However, I kept coming back to My Minds Eye and so did some digging and discovered that in fact Sirenia had been on a gradually journey from ORC music to a symphonic metal blending that had culminated in this album Nine Destinies. A quick listen to the samples provided by Amazon confirmed this so I bought it and I am really glad I am because this album rocks! Yes, it is heavy on keyboards, melodies and strong harmonies, but Monika Pederson's vocals are stunningly beautiful but strong at the same time (sadly, she is no longer with the band, who seem to have a rotating band membership as bad as Rainbow's was!)- and the guitar's are suitably metal- many of the riffs are straight out of the Orc metal handbook.

Musically then, expect a cross somewhere between Dream Theatre and later Nightwish. I can't really define it any better than that.

Highlights include The Last Call, Absent Without Leave, the awesome title track and of course My Minds Eye, though to be honest there isn't a duff track on this album. If you like any of the Dutch/Scandinavian symphonic/goth/metal crossover bands of the last 13 years, you'll love this. And at £7 on download, it's a steal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very impressed, 20 Feb 2013
Brought this album without knowing the group. Loved this album, enchanted by the female vocalist, works well with the material. Probably come under the heading of Opera Metal. Not good with labeling music, I just know whether I like what I hear or not. This album is currently seeing repeat plays in my CD player. I didn't find a duff track on the album.

If you are into this genre of music give it a go you won't be disappointed.

Currently searching Amazon for other music by this artist.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 3 April 2010
A Kid's Review
Out of all of the Sirenia albums this is my favorite and the lead vocalist is Monika Pedersen and she does a great job. There aren't many growls or male vocals in this album and it has a clean sound.
My Mind's eye and The other side are stanout tracks or me :)

Nine Destinies and a Downfall
Nine Destinies and a Downfall by Sirenia (Audio CD - 2007)