I put a new hard drive into my laptop and installed the OEM Vista Premium. Installed fine - much easier than XP but I did have an initial battle with drivers. I had the original driver disc which I tried to use for the computer but Vista was having non of it and going on line was a non starter via the wireless as this was one of the drivers that was unloadable. Fortunately when I used a cable, Vista did an auto update and all of the missing drivers were installed via Microsoft's own website. They went in seamlessly and my laptop works better than before. So a slight scare followed by a good auto support system. Using Vista hasn't changed my life - does the same things as XP but with a new shiny look. The one big difference is the speed of starting and shutting down - fast, fast, fast. As regards security, well I didn't have an issue with XP as I kept the usual safeguards in place so I have no doubt that the same thing will have to be done with Vista. So overall for 70 quid a reasonable upgrade, but I wouldn't spend the 150 quid that the non OEM would cost.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
When XP Home was introduced, it was a significant improvement over Win98 and the awful WinME. Win XP pro was, well, much like Win2000 but with prettier graphics. Anyway XP as a whole was a good thing. Try as I might I can't say the same about Vista. The new visual "look" to Vista is awful (to my eyes at least) and all the visual toys nothing more than eye candy. The layout changes to menus etc also just make it awkward to use for seasoned Windows users. With all the superficial changes it doesn't actually do much that is new - it just makes doing the same old stuff awkward and involves alot of re-training of PC users, especially in the workplace. To add insult to injury, there are alot of software compatibility issues too.

There is one good thing about Vista. As an IT support guy. I keep busy wiping Vista off new machines and installing XP. Please don't pull the plug on OEM XP to soon Mr Gates.....
on 23 October 2007
It is very resource hungry. You really need at least 2GB ram to run properly, although I'm managing on 1GB.

The premium version does come wih media centre, handy for a home media computer. It's pretty, fairly user friendly for beginners or people that just don't know all that much about computers.

If you have any hardware over three years old then they may not work as there are no drivers for vista. I had to buy a new webcam and new graphics card.

If you are upgrading from XP, I wouldn't unless you want some extra features, such as media centre (although obviously you could by the XP version of media centre) before upgrading visit windows.com and run the upgrade advisor to make sure your hardware is compatible.
on 14 April 2007
well i have been beta testing since october,and i have had no problems what so ever with vista,so decided to take the plunge with home premium,and have not been disappointed,up and running within 20 minutes and no problem with any drivers,apart from audio card which dell has on their website,i wont pay the top whack for premium so went for the oem pack at a fraction over £70 money well spent,
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 5 April 2007
Slick, smooth as the title suggests. The interface is suitably modern looking and the quick fade-in and out when you open or close a window is a nice touch. There is however, a lot of confirmation pop up boxes that seem to want to confirm everything you do. Security wise I rely on Norton and other measures, so that is of limited importance to me. I had no real problem with XP as an interface, but the new feel of Vista is nice and if it is an improvement on XP then we should all be better off.

Long time coming this upgrade, and it's going nowhere so get used to it!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I've been using Vista HP for several months now and have got to love it though it took some getting used to and I'm an IT professional of several years. Admittedly, it came pre-installed on my new Dell Dimension 530 PC (with 2Gb RAM) so I have no "from-scratch" installation experience to discuss, but as with each new version of Windows, be realistic - you need an up-to-date machine! I did have an old broadband modem but took the precaution of downloading its drivers onto CD and it installed like a dream, as did my HP Photosmart 7400 printer.
Most of the comments made by disgruntled Vista users here and elsewhere could have been written by disgruntled XP users shortly after it's launch many moons ago!
Vista boots up much quicker than XP and looks fantastic. The way it handles pictures, videos and music is pure poetry. Insert a music CD and it rips it to your disk without prompting. Click on media centre, the album cover is there...click play...need I say more! Insert your memory stick, up pops a menu with several different options. Click on one of them and all your photos are copied to a new dated folder.
Sure, XP will do most of the same but not as elegantly (put it this way - who would you rather take out for dinner ? Anne Widdecombe or Michelle Pfieffer?). It has been very stable and not crashed once since I've used it. It's not just prettier, it's faster, and more intuitive, though as I said, it does take a bit of getting used too. It's a much bigger change than say Win 98 to XP.
In short, if you're buying a new machine, be bold and go for Vista - Home Premium has all the sexy features and will be best for most users. Get a "Dummies" book if you're worried, I did but it's sat on my shelf untouched as I've got to grips with it in my own time.
It's a class act. I'm converted.

**Service Pack 1 is now available for home users - it is strongly recommended to install it. From your browser...go to Tools, Windows Update and follow the menus. It takes about an hour and you won't be able to use your PC while it does the updates**
(If it doesn't give you the option to install SP1, the chances are you already have it so no need to worry)
on 19 March 2007
I installed this on a Sony Vaio. It was no trouble at all. It was even easy to connect to the internet.

There's a couple of programs that dont work on it (though they did on XP) and it is best to steer clear of Explorer seems to be allergic to the most commeon websites. Firefox is miles better and works without any trouble.

The start up from sleep is particularly good- a matter of seconds as is the windows update service.

It works (mostly), its easy to use, its much better than XP and it has yet to crash!!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
If you must have a new ringtone for your phone every week than this is a product for you! For small home / office users, its a disaster. Driver issues mean that a large amount of equipment over 3 years old won't work with Vista because there is no driver available.

It needs at least 1GB of RAM, preferably 2GB. Don't try to use it on a 512MB PC with shared graphics either. The graphics requirement is at least 128MB and this will slow down the rest of the machine incredibly.

Other issues - the new Explorer is pretty dreadful and un-instinctive to use. The scrolling windws are a resource hungry gimmick and not particularly easy to use. You'll want at least a 19" monitor to make it look any good. The sidebar and "widgets" are just another gimmick. All of these toys hog space and resource meaning slower response from the rest of the machine making it no faster in use than Win 98!

Did I mention the security and Digital Rights Management? You want to install a new program? Click on at least 6 check boxes saying "you are not signed in as administrator" [6 more clicks and two passwords later] "are you sure", "this software isn't signed by Microslop", "are you sure?", "are you really sure?", "then I might just let you install it". Usually followed by the machine crashing...

More bugs than the natural history museum, a complete waste of time for anyone wanting to actually do any WORK on the PC. This operating system is totally geared towards Microsoft products and multimedia playing to the detriment of doing any useful and productive work. Stay with XP for as long as possible.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 22 October 2010
I needed to get a copy of vista because my hard drive went down and I did'nt have a back up disc. this was the cheapest way to get vista back on my pc. And being a genuine copy I had on problems setting it up.
on 17 June 2007
I bought a machine which was pre-installed with Vista Home Premium and I've now realised I am going to have to go through the laborious process of reformatting my hard drive and installing XP Pro on it instead. Why? Because I'm one of those funny old souls who likes an operating system to work, not just look cartoony and have clear effects.

I've been running Vista for a month now, and even having turned all the aero graphics off, transparency, essentially maximising performance (so that it actually pretty much looks like XP anyway) the OS runs about 1/2 the speed of the two year old laptop I replaced running XP. So much for the benefits of a Intel Centrino Duo processor - my old Centrino was running the same (and this is with faster FSB RAM too).

Some of the features I've found on vista:

a) lack of support for 1920x1200 graphics on my widescreen monitor by ATI (no probs in xp, no way in Vista - 1400 x 900 is the best you can have, and that's checked with Dell)

b) Defragmentation - no idea of how long it will take - no update bar, couple be a few minutes or a few hours to quote the operating system text itself. That's helpful, isn't it?

c) The need to turn so many things off to get it run above a swimming in treacle pace - turn off UAC, turn off indexing, turn off.... the list is huge

d) Try to partition your drive - my machine has a 120gb hard drive, but vista won't let me create any more partitions - tells me the minimum partition size for vista is 80gb... and that's with system restore turned off, pagefile stopped, then it won't let me actually format the 15gb unallocated space that it will allow me to have - oh, an no other third party partition software works in vista either. So you're stuffed if you want to manage your hard drive.

e) Copying files takes for ever and frequently returned "Out of Memory" messages. I would have thought 2GB of RAM should be sufficient just to copy files from one hard drive to another - it always was on XP, but in vista, it just isn't enough.

f) Downloading files from the web - you're often left with .part files - vista can't quite seem to actually bring itself to recompile all the downloaded data in the file you want, so you have to sometimes go and re-download files to remind it to actually finish the job.

I could go on, but I think I'd use up all of amazon's server space with my list of issues for this software. It's inexcusable that Microsoft can hit the market with something with SO MANY bugs in it and so unfit for purpose. As I said, I'm reformatting my HDD this week, downgraging to XP Pro again and maybe install a dual-boot with Ubuntu to give that a whirl - we need to start thinking seriously about open source if Microsoft spent as much money and time as it did developing the rubbish that is Vista. Once again, avoid like the plague if you value your sanity!