5.0 out of 5 stars Incomparable Winter
I completely missed this album, and Johnny Winter for that matter, in the 70s, and now I'm kicking myself. Winter is just the master of blues guitar, but with heavy rock overtones. In addition to well-chosen covers, there are great self-penned tracks too.
Published on 12 Mar 2005 by vogon20

3.0 out of 5 stars Second Winter
Disappointing. Some of the guitar is really good but a lot of the vocals are harsh and spoil the album.
Published 19 months ago by Emms

5.0 out of 5 stars Incomparable Winter, 12 Mar 2005
This review is from: Second Winter (Audio CD)
The band includes brother Edgar, who has led bands in his own right, and Tommy Shannon on bass, who latter played with Stevie Ray Vaughan.
The (studio) first CD is marginally the stronger of the two, but there's some good live tracks on the second. I'm not a fan of Tobacco Road by anyone, and you probably don't need two versions of Johnny B Goode. But don't let that put you off, the majority of the tracks are oustanding and the weaker ones are excellent by anyone else's standards.

5.0 out of 5 stars Raw Blues Guitar Hero, 9 Mar 2005
Simon Loxham "Guitar Lover" (Burnden) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Second Winter (Audio CD)
Wow! This is my first CD by Johnny Winter.I have 4 albums on vinyl and a tape of the brilliant "Captured Live" album. Bolstered by the re-mastering,extra tracks and bonus "Live in 1970" CD I am so glad I bought this.The sound is awesome for the age of the release (1969)and rather than single out individual tracks,if you love blues rock like Rory or Allmans,Hendrix,etc,you will love this.Actually Johnny has a great voice too but the guitar is fierce.
After I played the studio album I put the bonus live disc on.Pardon me but I defy you not to launch across the room into an air guitar solo when the first track starts.Buy this now!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Sick, 27 April 2008
C. N. Daly - See all my reviews
This review is from: Second Winter (Audio CD)
The main album itself is amazing, I just wanted to point how good the bonus disc is. Johnny is in brilliant form and plays one of the best live blues sets ive ever heard, even better than whats on the album. Amazing

4.0 out of 5 stars raw energy - good stuff!, 18 Jun 2007
Henk Beentje "Henk Beentje" (Kew, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Second Winter (Audio CD)
I'm not sure about some of his later records, but this one has been doing things for me for decades. The last four tracks in particular - it starts with a giggle, and then it takes off. The guitar is played to get your nerves jangling and your body moving, backed up by steady and stern drums and bass. The tempo is fast and furious, and that damn guitar zooms around his down-to-earth lyrics. Music that defies time, this is!

I have always liked this as a record too; that blank fourth side was really handy to get your needle-tracking balanced. But now I've transferred my original record to digital, and almost 40 years after it came out I am still enjoying this music - to the hilt! "I may be crazy but man at least I'm cool "(I hate everybody) - and he still is. A great record!

5.0 out of 5 stars No Pain..No Gain!, 26 April 2008
This review is from: Second Winter (Audio CD)
'Memory Pain' is one of the finest guitar grooves you will ever hear and still makes my socks roll up and down. Superb. How fast and slick is 'Hustled Doen In Texas'? Fantastic.
'God said Abraham kill me a son,
Abe said man you must be puttin me on.
God said no, abe said what
God say you can do what you want but,
next time you see me comin you better run'
Thanks to Bob Dylan, but even bigger thanks to Johnny Winter. This is nearly 40 years old but still sounds FANTASTIC.

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm Not Sure, 10 May 2014
This review is from: Second Winter (Audio CD)
Had to cheat and use a title of one of the songs for the title of my review, but it is rather apt. Whilst most people I know always state this is probably the best Johnny Winter album I always maintain it is 'Let Me In' which is far more polished and to a degree varied. This is raw bluesy rock with a few 'jazzy' bits thrown in for good measure. What I do like about this is the live feel though, and Johnny's gruff vocal style is used to the full. As one would expect his guitar work is superb and he must be the unltimate 'white' bluesman? Finally, this review is for the first CD release without the add-ons and remastering so perhaps that has made a difference to my comment/s, who knows? Either way if you like the blues per-se this is certainly worthy of your hard earned cash.

5.0 out of 5 stars Re live your youth!!, 14 Feb 2014
D. J. Miles - See all my reviews
This review is from: Second Winter (Audio CD)
Having seen Johnny Winter live at the 1970 Bath Blues and Folk festival, this CD replaced an old LP so it was great to relive old memories. Great.

5.0 out of 5 stars No Winter of Discontent Here!, 10 Dec 2012
This review is from: Second Winter (Audio CD)
This album blew me away in 1970 and 42 years later it still sounds brilliant.
As the 60's ended and the blessed Mr. Hendrix was riding on the crest of a wave of brilliance, JW comes along and throws his Stetson into the ring. Not as big or as commercial (Hendrix - commercial?) but with all the talent and charisma that this young whippersnapper could muster.
As with all great albums all the tracks are different, there are no two tracks the same. Some tracks are stronger than others, but even the weakest track is so damn good. This album is a classic (probably his best) that everyone should own. His solos, particularly on Miss Ann and Hustled Down in Texas are amazing, enjoy.
Oh yeah, the live disc is also a treat.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Greatest Electric Guitarist EVER, 18 April 2010
Fred Dread (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Second Winter (MP3 Download)
After I had bought Johnny Winter's album "Johnny Winter" I thought things couldn't get better; I was wrong! This was, and still is, the greatest rock guitar album I've ever heard. Jimi Hendrix could do things with a guitar that people thought were impossible but for pure musical ability Winter just gets the nod. The covers of Johnny B. Goods and Highway 61 Revisited are superb but Memory Pain and The Good Love are fantastic. However, he really goes through his paces in Fast Life Rider where he throws down the gauntlet to anyone who may think they can play the electric guitar better. No one can!

As a an oddity the vinyl version was a double album with one side blank!? He explained in the sleeve notes that he wanted the album to be the best it could be and to do this it had to be three sides only. A gimmick or genuine reason? Who knows and to be frank who cares? It a largely undiscovered classic.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is the one to buy, 2 Jan 2010
Julian Stevens (BRISTOL, UK United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Second Winter (Audio CD)
The single disc first CD issue is probably cheaper, but suffers from the excessively heavy bass that characterised the original 3 sided LP, the format of which seemed to upset so many critics at the time. The reason they put it out that way was that cramming the whole set onto just two sides would have meant narrower grooves which would have compromised the full power of the original recording. But JW didn't feel they had enough material of suitable calibre to occupy four full sides, so the end result was an album halfway between a single and a double..

This 2004 edition, remastered at Sony Studios in NYC by Joseph M. Palmaccio, sorts out that excessive bass and, although it's still pretty powerful, it's now in more or less proper balance with everything else. The result is an album with a degree of backbone which belies the vintage of the original recording, engineered by Ed Kollis in Nashville, Tennessee (studio not credited) and produced by JW, who evidently had a very clear idea of just what he wanted from this album.

For this album, JW's support band included brother Edgar (keyboards & alto sax), "Uncle" John Turner (drums & percussion) and Tommy Shannon (bass) except on just one track on which Dennis Collins played bass.

The 1970 live set recorded at London's Royal Albert Hall may be regarded as a freebie which should please fans of JW's live performances, though the studio album is fine as it is and doesn't really need augmentation. That having said, two (studio-recorded) bonus tracks have been added to this reissue and they're not at all bad either. Great stuff for fans of gutsy southern blues rock.

Second Winter
Second Winter by Johnny Winter (Audio CD - 2007)