5.0 out of 5 stars A Children's Classic
Published on 6 May 2008 by Fizzy Lizzy

2.0 out of 5 stars I bought the wrong recording
My fault entirely,i bought it by mistake simply wanting a no commentry version of Mr Britten's work.

I find Richard Baker's commentary irritating and obtrusive,although i am a grumpy old man and not an eager 8 year old..
Published 17 months ago by andymt

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Children's Classic, 6 May 2008
This review is from: Peter and the Wolf / The Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra / Practical Cats (Audio CD)
I had the Peter and the Wolf album, with Richard Baker narrating, when I was little and it is one of the best things that I can remember from my childhood. It is still one of my favourite pieces of classical music and listening to it still makes me feel slightly scared of that wolf! Together with Richard Baker's calm narration it is just brilliant. I would recommend this to any parent for their child - it will keep them quiet for hours!

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic, should be in every household, 25 Oct 2009
Like one of the previous reviewers, I had an LP of Richard baker narrating Peter and the Wolf when I was little. I later replaced it with a tape, that had the Young Persons' Guide on the other side, also narrated by Richard Baker. These are both excellent introductions to classical music, and appeal to children and adults alike.

This tape lasted me into middle-age, by which time it was a firm favourite with my children.

Sadly, all things must pass, and the tape made a not-very-graceful exit from our lives one day. In my search for a replacement, I was delighted to find this CD, that has both of my childhood favourites. I had never heard Possum's Cats before, but bought it anyway.

Peter and the Wolf and the Young Persons' Guide are as good as ever, and still remain firm favourites in our house. Having tried to get through Possum's Cats a few times, I (and the rest of the family) have come to the conclusion that it's really rather dull. That didn't stop me giving this CD five stars, and it's worth every penny for the two main pieces, and being on CD, you can just skip the boring cats ;-)

A great purchase for young and old.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant. Memories and passing it on to the kids!, 15 Jan 2010
C. Nicholson "Tian Magian" (Cyprus, Temporarily!) - See all my reviews
I was perusing the tinterweb looking for something a little different for the kids' joint christmas presents and suddenly thought of Peter and the Wolf. As they are 9 and 6 I thought they might like it (esp as the eldest is now learning Clarinet) and I was bang on the money.

They LOVED it.

The listened intently as it played through and showed great emotions from low (poor Duck) to high (the parade). It invoked soome great memories for me and my wife too as it has been, ahem, a while since I listened to it all the way through. It is now a firm favourite in the house.

The extras before and after are great too, the kids especially liked the introdution to the orchestra.

All round this is brilliant and at a great price to boot. If you are looking at it then you will know how good it is, buy it! Now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Peter and the wolf c.d., 11 Feb 2009
Ms. J. K. Treloar (Poole Dorset) - See all my reviews
Purchased as Christmas pressies but perfect gift for any child as young as you like. The original score copied many times but in my opinion never bettered

5.0 out of 5 stars Gt for travel, 10 Sep 2012
I bought this for my 3yr old grandson as we were panning a holiday in Scotland with an 8-9hour drive. We have it on an LP at home which he loves & he was delighted with being able to listen to the CD in the car! I was particularly pleased with the introduction to the musical instruments. It is an excellent resource to introduce chidren to classical music!

4.0 out of 5 stars good cd but the voiceover is more quiet than the music..., 29 Oct 2012
K. WEBB "Kate" (UK) - See all my reviews
good cd and good music but the voiceover is more quiet than the music so you keep needing to adjust the volume. it's still ok but very irritating...

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 10 July 2014
Grandchildren love it

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 10 July 2014
My young girls love this and we spend a lot of time listening to this together

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for kids, 8 Jun 2014
My 5 year old loves to listen to Peter and the Wolf, the other tracks are just ok, but I didn't buy it for those tracks anyway.

5.0 out of 5 stars Peter and the Wolf, 27 April 2014
my twin grandchildren were not really interested, I bought it because I had such fond memories of it.
The twins are a girl and a boy.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›