5.0 out of 5 stars A Children's Classic
Published on 6 May 2008 by Fizzy Lizzy

2.0 out of 5 stars I bought the wrong recording
My fault entirely,i bought it by mistake simply wanting a no commentry version of Mr Britten's work.

I find Richard Baker's commentary irritating and obtrusive,although i am a grumpy old man and not an eager 8 year old..
Published on 26 Feb. 2013 by andymt

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Children's Classic, 6 May 2008
This review is from: Peter and the Wolf / The Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra / Practical Cats (Audio CD)
I had the Peter and the Wolf album, with Richard Baker narrating, when I was little and it is one of the best things that I can remember from my childhood. It is still one of my favourite pieces of classical music and listening to it still makes me feel slightly scared of that wolf! Together with Richard Baker's calm narration it is just brilliant. I would recommend this to any parent for their child - it will keep them quiet for hours!

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic, should be in every household, 25 Oct. 2009
Like one of the previous reviewers, I had an LP of Richard baker narrating Peter and the Wolf when I was little. I later replaced it with a tape, that had the Young Persons' Guide on the other side, also narrated by Richard Baker. These are both excellent introductions to classical music, and appeal to children and adults alike.

This tape lasted me into middle-age, by which time it was a firm favourite with my children.

Sadly, all things must pass, and the tape made a not-very-graceful exit from our lives one day. In my search for a replacement, I was delighted to find this CD, that has both of my childhood favourites. I had never heard Possum's Cats before, but bought it anyway.

Peter and the Wolf and the Young Persons' Guide are as good as ever, and still remain firm favourites in our house. Having tried to get through Possum's Cats a few times, I (and the rest of the family) have come to the conclusion that it's really rather dull. That didn't stop me giving this CD five stars, and it's worth every penny for the two main pieces, and being on CD, you can just skip the boring cats ;-)

A great purchase for young and old.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant. Memories and passing it on to the kids!, 15 Jan. 2010
C. Nicholson "Tian Magian" (Cyprus, Temporarily!) - See all my reviews
I was perusing the tinterweb looking for something a little different for the kids' joint christmas presents and suddenly thought of Peter and the Wolf. As they are 9 and 6 I thought they might like it (esp as the eldest is now learning Clarinet) and I was bang on the money.

They LOVED it.

The listened intently as it played through and showed great emotions from low (poor Duck) to high (the parade). It invoked soome great memories for me and my wife too as it has been, ahem, a while since I listened to it all the way through. It is now a firm favourite in the house.

The extras before and after are great too, the kids especially liked the introdution to the orchestra.

All round this is brilliant and at a great price to boot. If you are looking at it then you will know how good it is, buy it! Now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Peter and the wolf c.d., 11 Feb. 2009
Purchased as Christmas pressies but perfect gift for any child as young as you like. The original score copied many times but in my opinion never bettered

5.0 out of 5 stars Gt for travel, 10 Sept. 2012
I bought this for my 3yr old grandson as we were panning a holiday in Scotland with an 8-9hour drive. We have it on an LP at home which he loves & he was delighted with being able to listen to the CD in the car! I was particularly pleased with the introduction to the musical instruments. It is an excellent resource to introduce chidren to classical music!

4.0 out of 5 stars good cd but the voiceover is more quiet than the music..., 29 Oct. 2012
K. WEBB "Kate" (UK) - See all my reviews
good cd and good music but the voiceover is more quiet than the music so you keep needing to adjust the volume. it's still ok but very irritating...

4.0 out of 5 stars For 5yr old, 2 April 2014
I bought Peter and the Wolf for a grandchild. Children are so used to seeing the pictures that I feared she might be bored. I warned her in advance and she loved it.
As far as Practical Cats and the Young Person's Guide - well I can't say because I have not played them to her yet; but I like them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for a youngster, 13 Feb. 2013
My cousin is just 4 years old and just is into classical music.
What better example to inspire him further.
Ben Brittain is at his most charming and educational.
A pleaseure to enjoy, just as I did at primary school when they taught and inspired with music.
Cheers!
Michael

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well to introduce non-pop music, 3 Jan. 2014
My 2 and a half year old granddaughter and her 4 year old brother are both dancing around their bedroom to this and La-laa-ing the tunes. Very nearly gave it 5 stars, just not absolutely certain about the commentary....... 5 stars if you wish, certainly can't knock it, it's brill.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic for kids if you want to introduct them to ..., 14 Oct. 2014
Fantastic for kids if you want to introduct them to the musical instruments of the orcestra, both my 3 and 5 yr olds can recognise the French horn and tuba in particular and now I can play my normal classical music and they point out the instruments which is all education

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›