Evolution Of Robin Thicke [Australian Import]
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:£3.66+£1.26shipping

on 22 April 2007
Robin Thicke, name rings a bell? Well he's paid his dues for sure.

In 2000, Robin, who simply went by his last name Thicke, went to work on material for his debut album, initially entitled Cherry Blue Skies. The album focused more on blue-eyed soul, than his pop-offerings for other artists.

In 2002, Thicke released his debut single "When I Get You Alone". The track sampled Walter Murphy's "A Fifth of Beethoven", which itself sampled Beethoven's Fifth Symphony.

The moderate success was enough to signal the release of the album, with its name changed to A Beautiful World.

After being signed to The Neptunes label, Star Trak, he began working on his sophomore album entitled The Evolution of Robin Thicke. The first single, "Wanna Love U Girl", featured producer Pharrell and experienced chart success on urban radio in the United Kingdom. For the video, Thicke changed his appearance, cutting off his trademark long hair. In 2006, a remix version of the song was filmed with rapper Busta Rhymes.

Nearly a year after the single was released, the album was released on October 3, 2006. The Evolution of Robin Thicke includes songs with Lil Wayne and Faith Evans (on "Got 2 Be Down"), as well as Pharrell. To promote the album Thicke toured with India.Arie, and then opened for John Legend in late 2006.

His second single, the ballad "Lost Without U" became Thicke's first number one hit on the R&B singles chart and he became the first white male artist since George Michael to top the chart. He appears in the music video of this single with his wife, actress Paula Patton.

The album has gone platinum and it's richly deserved!
on 17 March 2007
This album has become one of my absolute favourites. Robin Thicke takes you on a silky smoothe, vocally lead muscial journey. This album has everything - slow romatic tunes, mellow tracks, memorable songs that you'll be humming for weeks and even re-visits an old favourite 'Shooter' (remix style).

This guy is fantastic and has come a long way since his first (but very special) album 'A Beautiful World'.

The track of the album has got to be 'Everything I can't have'.
on 27 April 2007
Just received CD today and on first airing alone this has gone into my list of favourites. IMO each track can stand alone as a single - no filler tunes. This guy can write killer slow jamz and uptempo tracks. If I had to pick favourites I would go for Lost Without You, Ask Myself, Everything I Can't Have, I Need Love, All Night Long, The Sky, and Lonely World. Will have to check out his first CD.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I came across his album and sample all of his songs through this site and I loved what I heard and decided to purchase it. After receiving it and hearing it numerously I say that this album is positively outstanding. Every track is incredible. Thicke's vocals are soulful, silky-smooth, rich and beautiful. The ballads (along with Thicke's vocals) are filled with so much emotion and tenderness. The up-tempo songs make you want to move or simply chill to.

He emerges with "The Evolution of Robin Thicke," and gives soul fans something we can revel in. The disc opens with a duet between Robin and 'The First Lady' of R&B Faith Evans. "Got 2 Be Down" finds both artist in tune with each other and proves to be the highlight of the collaborations on the album. The disc presses on through the marvelous "Complicated," In this track the first minute is great and the lyrics are fantastic accompanying piano playing drive this tune. "Would That Make You Love Me?", "Lost Without You" and "Ask Myself" delivers soulful melodies each of these tracks are very smooth and beautiful I can't get enough of them. His collaboration with Lil Wayne on "all Night Long" can be addictive with it's beat the and rhymes. This track threw me off guard in the beginning not because it's high tempo but it swerve me from vibe that I've been getting into. Robin quickly shift back gears by giving us the Latin tinged "Everything I Can't Have". He thought so far outside of the box on this track, and it worked so well! "Teach U A Lesson," is a sexy number and the lyrics are great and naughty at the same time. I'm honestly in love with "I need Love" because Robin put together some great lyrics and the vocal melody in here is just as superior. "Wanna Love U girl" with Pharrell was the first song that I heard from him on the radio almost a year ago and I thought is was pretty average and that hinder me from picking up this album from the beginning. "Can U believe," is ole school and the piano line is simply amazing which makes it another favorite.

I can go on with the rest of the tracks in this album but you need to hear it for yourself and the rest of the songs trudges on in similar fine style. I have become a big fan of him and his music. I recommend this album to anyone who's looking for music that will move them and touch their hearts in intimate ways.
on 17 August 2007
Wow...and wow, again!

I have not heard anything this compelling in a very long time. This man's music encompasses a great deal of his own soul. He admits to being inspired by all those music 'giants', many of whom are now in spirit - we listen to his sound, we know who they are, he has learnt well - I enjoy feeling the musical atmosphere/undertones/little snatches of memory of people like Curtis Mayfield & Marvin Gaye in 'Cocaine', to name a few.

However, this album is truly Robin Thicke's own thing. I like it because there's a 'rawness', a 'naturalness' in the midst of all that 'smoothness'...whether or not it's the last thing I heard, I still wake up with one of the songs in my head...they just flow through my subconscious...the lyrics, the actual music accompaniment, not to mention those flexible vocals suitably manipulated to match the songs.

Robin Thicke has featured on so many previous albums of my favourite artistes, I had to go back and listen to those songs, and his 'sound' is instantly recognisable. I appreciate those numbers on this album which feature Faith Evans, Lil Wayne and Pharrell - why not - now it's his turn. Although his music is 'catchy', he is definitely an adult lyricist - no in-between, no uncertainty - this is an album for 'grown-up' people who understand pain, joy, tears, sex, addiction, desperation and hope.

Excellent music reaches out and captures the listener. 'The Evolution of Robin Thicke' has reached out and captivated me. Thank you, Robin Thicke. Great job!
on 10 January 2007
Outstanding is not a word I like to use lightly, but in my opinion, this album really is a contender for best album of 2006.

The fact that Thicke is white, soulful and comfortable with his falsetto range, draws obvious comparisons to Justin Timberlake, however, you would be pretty presumptuous to expect similar material.
No disrespect to Timberlake, but Thicke refrains from the use of over-production and offers us a mature sounding soulful masterpiece that is musically and lyrically superior to many of his contemporary R&B counterparts.
In chocolate terms, if Timberlake is a bar of Cadbury's Dairy Milk, Thicke is more like a Belgian Chocolate Truffle.

Stevie Wonder, Al Green, even Maxwell and D'Angelo (to a certain extent) influences are apparent throughout, which in my books, are entirely a good thing.

Pharell Williams has manged to sneak his way on to this set in the form of a production credit and collaboration, but this time he has avoided the trap of dominating the project, like we have seen him do with other artists so many times before.

The stand out tracks for me are To The Sky(masterpiece), I Need Love, Got To be Down(Faith's vocals compliment Robin's nicely) and Angels. In fact, with exception to the Lil' Wayne collaborations and Cocaine, all of the tracks are fantastic.

Not quite neo-soul, but if you are a fan of the genre or just a fan of good R&B, you will thoroughly enjoy this album.

You NEED this album in your life
on 5 September 2007
If you love his first album you will never stop playing this.

I have had this ablum for five months and it is not getting dull. There are absolutely no fillers on this, only songs you are in the mood for at different times. It can easily be played all the way to the end. I haven't been able to say that about an album before.

I heavily recommend this cd for anyone who enjoys chilled out RnB or any RnB. He will not dissapoint.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Blued eyed soul which reached number one in the Billboard R & B/ Hip Hop chart and still in the top ten after 24 weeks.

This is his second album and a belter, a great consistent album, with too many great tracks to mention, just go and buy it, you wont be disappointed from the first track which has a Marvin sound to it to the last.

This boy has a future.
on 12 March 2007
Wow. I didn't see this album at all. Only by chance I came across the current single `Lost Without U' and once I discovered the album it instantly hit me with more of its beauty.

The songwriting and arrangements are carefully constructed on here...he has been writing for other artists for years so it comes as no surprise the man can write a tight song or two. I'm glad The Neptunes didn't dominate this with their sound (although in places it does resemble N.E.R.D.), as that would've restricted the talent that is so evident.

It is rare to find an album that contains 16 tracks with only one poor song, All Night Long. Every track has a strong identity and has something for you to get your teeth into from incredibly funky I've Got To Be Down, the summery Complicated, the lovers blues of I Need Love and the elegance of 2 The Sky.

I hope he can maintain this standard onto the next album, that's where the real test will lie, but for now, this is an album to illuminate the current RnB charts.
on 4 December 2006
This album is truly amazing. Robin Thicke sings soul & r&b better than most artists out there. I'm normally into nu/neo soul stuff, and less of the commercial artists, so not sure how to categorise this guy...If you like Faith Evans, Angie Stone, Raheem Devaughn, John Legend, Musiq, Maxwell, Pharrell, Anthony Hamilton, Dwele...you will probably love Robin Thicke. He has his own style however. The album at first listen catches you and only gets better and better. Amazing up-tempo tracks, as well as emotional/sexy/"melt like chocolate" slower tunes. There are a variety of influences from pop,r&b,lots of soul, some gospel and latin. Trust me - this is the best buy you will make in a long time and you won't get enough! Robin Thicke is a geniune artist, with an exceptional voice and song writing capabilities, who seems to stay true to the music he loves.