5.0 out of 5 stars How to grow old disgracefully!
Absolutely electrifying!!!! Nick Cave thankfully shows no sign of growing old gracefully. The newly renamed Bad Seeds show what they're made of here and its nothing remotely sweet. This CD just breathes aggression from the word go. If this was made by any up and coming band this would be talked about till the cows come home.

What a start we get. Nick Cave at...
Published on 6 Mar 2007 by Mike J. Wheeler

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
okay
Published 8 days ago by Anders Thomsen

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars How to grow old disgracefully!, 6 Mar 2007
Mike J. Wheeler (Kingswinford, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grinderman (Audio CD)

What a start we get. Nick Cave at his obscene best kicks off the album with "Get it On". This is just totally nuts! It has one of the best lyrics I think I've ever heard - (forgive the stars but this is a family site!) "He drank panther p**s and f****d the girls you're probably married to". Yes don't buy this one for the kids!!! Please! Yes the first time I played this I was rather taken aback even though I'm used to Cave's lyrics (check out "O'Malley's Bar" and "Stagger Lee" on 'Murder Ballads'). Great song though with a buzzing, primitive guitar riff running through it. Next comes the current single "No Pussy Blues", the hilarious tale of an ageing lech trying to....well you don't need me to spell it out do you! Brilliant lyrics which perfectly encapsulate what Cave is all about, he must be the best storyteller through song around.

"Electric Alice" is another good one, but then comes for me one of the highlights of the album. The title track "Grinderman" is one of the best things Cave's come out with in years. This is just about the most primaeval song I've heard in a long time. This song positively sounds like it has just crawled out of the gutter. Fantastic. "Depth Charge Ethel" is another Cave storysong, great stomping start to this, though I'm not sure about the backing vocals. Great riff though.

"Go Tell the Woman" is another good track but it's eclipsed by the next highlight of the album "(I Don't Need You) To Set Me Free", great bassline in this one which shows off the playing prowess of the rest of the band. For some reason this reminds me of something done by The Doors. Great song. The pace then rips up a notch or two for "Honey Bee" before ironically coming back down to earth for "Man In The Moon". This is Nick Cave at his subtlest, reminiscent of 'The Boatman's Call'. The album closes with two more stomping tracks. Phew!

This, if anything, perfectly illustrates Nick Cave's ability to keep metamorphosing throughout his long career. I got introduced to him by listening to 'The Boatman's Call', all piano and vocals and hardly any backing on some tracks, but fantastic songwriting. Here he goes back to his roots by giving us some stomping rock music. There are very few other artists around with the same range as this guy (Tom Waits for sure and I guess Neil Young as well).

Its quite ironic that this came out the same week as Arcade Fire's 'Neon Bible'. That's a terrific album, though as like to this as chalk is to cheese. But it seems that two of the candidates for album of the year have come out simultaneously. Great buy, this one'll last for ages. (9/10)

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!, 24 July 2007
This review is from: Grinderman (Audio CD)
Well, well, well. Just when I thought the world had been taken over by wannabee, talent(less) and reality show pap, along comes a not so gentle reminder that some people not only know what they're doing but have the balls to go out and do it.

This album is loud, proud and about as subtle as a mugging. As said elsewhere, not for the faint-hearted. Take a splash of the Velvet Underground, mix with a shot of Iggy Pop, throw in some Jesus and Mary Chain then . . . . . ah but wait a minute, isn't that a bit Led Zep? Tom Waits? Neil Young???

Actually it sounds like nothing else out there at the moment and is all the better for it. For having the sheer chutzpah to make this album in this bland era, for making me grin stupidly and shout along in the car, for any number of reasons this is a truly outstanding album. I'd give it six stars if I could.

Mr Cave I salute you!

5.0 out of 5 stars I knew I was going to like this, I did not know it was going to be so good, 28 Mar 2007
John Ault (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Grinderman (Audio CD)
I admit to being a long-term Nick Cave fan, in the Birthday Party, with the Bad Seeds, as an author and so on through his amazing career. So I was inclined to like this, not least as celebration of the unlikely fact that Nick is still healthy and going strong.

I was delighted (and I confess a little surprised) to discover that this album is really, really good. The loud, faster songs are never pushed too far, never shouting, always in controll. The quieter, slower songs are the most fantastic laid-back bluesy rock soud you can imagine. There is something of the early Bad Seed days about this - a bit of Saint Huck -but clearly the other band members have more control and haul Cave back from the edge to a more conventional song structure.

Sounds very good very loud.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must be owned!!, 8 Mar 2007
This review is from: Grinderman (Audio CD)
Haven't the time to write a long review. This has been on my headphones non stop since purchase. Incredible album. Full of Stooges-esque scuzzed up filthy sounding guitar, jaw dropping moments of crazy looped sound from Warren Ellis, real man hollering in the backing vocals, distorted organ. It's not all filthy basement goings on as there's some beautiful slow tracks in here as well. The production is full on and captures every sound to perfection. I totally love this album! The final track Love Bomb has some amazing guitar sounds on it which is a great way to end an album as it makes you want to start all over again. To top it all off they're a cool looking bunch of men as well. Hairy and sharp dressed. Can't wait for some live shows.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than 99% of "side-projects", 20 Mar 2007
This review is from: Grinderman (Audio CD)
To get this out of the way: 'Grinderman' is not in the same league as recent Bad Seeds output (which frankly is reason enough not to release it under the Bad Seeds name), nor despite some lazy journalism does it replicate the cataclysmic fury of The Birthday Party, and it won't top any Album of the Year lists.

That said, if you don't enjoy this album you may as well chew your ears off, and if you can't manage that I'll come over and chew them off for you. It's a very good rock'n'roll album with some moments of greatness. Half of the songs I feel should be played in the car at ear-troubling volume and dubious speed, the other half are strangely swampy blues numbers suitable for the very early hours.

Fizzing with fun and energy. Songs clock in at a friendly three and a half minutes average (why can't more bands learn this lesson? Don't get me started...) and Mr Cave's rasp is in fine fettle throughout. It's an album of highlights; you'll have your own favourites after just two listens. Suffice to say it begins and ends with hip-grinding face-punchers, just like great rock albums used to do. 'Love Bomb' does pretty much what it says on the tin; lasciviously lovely with a sado-masochistic guitar tortured throughout.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, but great just the same!, 12 Mar 2007
Kevin_Rowbotham (Eastleigh, Hants, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grinderman (Audio CD)
From all the press that this album has had, I expected it to be an absolute Stooged-up garage fest - but it's not. There's a whole lot more to it than that, and while songs like 'Depth Charge Ethel' rattle along at a searing pace, there are layers of samples, well-directed noise and Nick Cave's clever lyricism to be enjoyed. A terrific debut!

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth it for three classic songs, 7 Nov 2010
This review is from: Grinderman - Grinderman (Audio CD)
I have been torn over whether to rate this album with 3 or 4 stars. I have ultimately given it 4 stars because although there are a good number of forgettable tracks, there are three that are so good that they elevate the record somewhat beyond average.

The three tracks in question are "Get It On", "No Pussy Blues" and "Go Tell The Women". These are great songs and nothing else on the album reaches such heights.

There are also a good number of filler tracks. The "Grinderman" title track is a pointless, repetetive dog turd of a song. "When My Love Comes Down", "Honey Bee..." and "Love Bomb" are all rather unremarkable and forgettable.

The remaining songs are pretty strong and all in all this is a good album that I would certainly recommend. There is enough good stuff to overshadow the filer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 3 Aug 2008
This review is from: Grinderman (Audio CD)
Have to confess to being a Birthday Party fan more than Nicks later work but this album is a bit like welcoming the Birthday Party back.

Great album played by old men with a real bad attitude problem. If you like your music angry & dirty this is the album for you. I have had this album for several months & it still gets lots of plays.

5.0 out of 5 stars return of the max, 27 Aug 2007
This review is from: Grinderman (Audio CD)
Nick Cave and a handful of his Seeds stroll into town with this grinding hog's maw of a record. The Dark Lord re-grasps the crown of Worlds Greatest Lyricist that he lost some ten years ago with a clutch of darkly humorous cartoon punk songs,howls and atmospheres. He sings movingly of his father on Man On The Moon and comes over all lustful on No Pussy Blues. The whole record thrashes, bleeds and provokes and is a direction that Saint Nick should have pursued after the uber-lush No More Shall We Part. Sweet damnation but its good to have the old heavy blues gun slinger back in the neighborhood and to hear a bunch of musicians who really know how to play together, making all manner of exquisite shapes and strategies. Now, bring on the next Bad Seeds record!

5.0 out of 5 stars ROCKING IN THE FREE WORLD?, 20 April 2007
COLSEE "colsee" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Grinderman (Audio CD)
No, its not a Neil Young album but the passion in both the music and songs is one of the biggest compliments I can give it.

I have no real knowledge of Nick Caves output with the Badseeds so I can't compare. Having read a review I decided to plum for it and boy, am I glad I did.

If this doesn't get some sort of award somewhere this year I will be very suprised. This album from the offset rocks, the production is superb and you really do get into the rythmn of this style.

When it ended it was straight back to the play button. I think I will be searching out some early Badseeds after this one!

Excellent, give it a try you will love it !

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Grinderman - Grinderman
Grinderman - Grinderman by Grinderman (Audio CD - 2007)