VINE VOICEon 3 December 2007
I recently received this as a present, and ever cynical as I am, decided to see if I could crack this "guess what I'm thinking" game. I was convinced that Nuclear Submarine would be enough to confuse it, but it got it!

Pretty much 90% of the things I was thinking of, it managed to guess after the second attempt. The remainder predominantly being items of a more adult-nature which I wouldn't imagine to be included in a kids/family toy!

With regards to educational value, the 20Q ball forces the user to think about the item they are thinking of, and whether it qualifies for the statement it is asking. For instance, is a Nuclear Submarine round? Does it float? Is Plutonium smooth, etc.

This is a perfect present for Xmas, as the whole family can get involved and come up with items for the 20Q to guess. It will also cause unexpected laughter when the ball suggests it's first answer, which is usually far-removed from the item you are thinking of! It's cheap enough to warrant itself being a stocking filler, but what a stocking filler it is!
on 27 October 2007
This really is the toy this Christmas/ New Year! I was thinking of a pig... it's like it snatched the answer out of my head! It's a really great toy and it kept me and my friends amused for agggggeeeessss! I love it!
It's such a great price too as it's adults and kids it entertains!
I really recommend it!
Thanks for reading
on 11 October 2007
Think of an item , even something obscure, keep it to yourself, and after questioning somehow this little tecno brain thing normally manages to come up with the right answer, presumably by some process of elimination. Ok, so I'm easily impressed, but for such a low priced gadget it is quite remarkable. Looks well made too. It will keep children and adults amused for ages and beats I spy hands down in the car. I can thoroughly recommend this fun toy.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 25 November 2007
I know that these are aimed at children, but it amused and amazed me never mind a young child. It is a good item because you can play it by yourself if you wish (as long as you stick to the item you initially thought of and don't change your mind or cheat). Although, admittedly it is much better if someone else has the task of thinking of something and then you ultimately amaze them by telling them what they were thinking of in the first place.

Eventually you begin to realise how a small electronic item achieves its amazing results but even when you do it still continues to amuse and amaze. It is based on elimination process but as I said even when you suss it out it is still quite clever.

Can be played in the car, on the train, watching television, in fact virtually anywhere and is good value for money. Another plus is that it takes up no room at all and kept be kept in a drawer. Heaven, no lost bits or obstacle courses for the parents to overcome.
on 30 November 2007
This would be a good stocking filler for the person who is hard to buy for! I bought one for my 9 year old last Christmas and we are all still picking it up and being amazed at how well it guesses the most obscure things, such as a race horse! A great low price gift, and good for long car journeys too.
on 7 December 2007
I've bought a few version 1s for my friends and been amazed at the accuracy of 20Q, but don't like version 2 at all. The questions are far less specific , logical and clever - when I was thinking of a coin it asked if it was shiny and then does it shine. It's just not as good at guessing as V1.
on 27 November 2007
This is a nifty little toy. I bought this, not expecting much and this toy exceeded my expectations. It's fun and the artificial intelligence in it is surprisingly good. 9 times out of 10, the gadget got the right answer. It only gets it wrong if you chose esoteric animals or plants but even then its answers are in the right ball park. Not terribly educational but so what? Not every toy has to be about learning something all the time. I'd say it's well worth the money and great fun.
on 1 January 2007
It's great for amusing parents too! My daughter recieved this (gift wrapped from Amazon!) for Christmas, she has played it endlessly and is still not bored with it. On a 200 mile journey it kept the whole family amused trying to catch it out!

All you need to do is think of an object or thing and answer the questions which are scrolled on the little screen. A very simple but clever idea, very well executed.

Endless fun in a handsized package! We recommend it.
on 27 December 2007
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This item is aimed at keeping kids upwards of 8 years old amused, but I found it extremely good fun - and I'm 47 (going on 15)!!

Think of an item and then let this gadget guess it by asking 20 questions which you answer as "Yes", "No" "Sometimes" or "Unknown". Of course you know how it works but it's still capable of occasionally amazing you when it comes up with the correct answer. For instance I was staggered when it guessed "cauliflower" as the object I was thinking of, when its questioning didn't appear to be heading in the right direction.

After using it in an extended control test (well, it sounds better than admitting that I played with it for hours!) I found its accuracy rate to be around 85%. But don't think of anything too specific - it isn't sophisticated enough to identify a hammerhead shark, but it will return "shark" as the answer. Also don't try anything too exotic - it guessed "banana" for kumquat.

The odd anomaly is thrown up - on the "cauliflower" test it asked if it could be eaten (I answered "Yes") then very next question asked if you can put it in your mouth! Does anyone, except those on an intravenous drip, ingest food by any other method?

And of course the more childish among you (including me) will think of rude body parts, then snigger when the machine asks "Does it have writing on it", "Can it fit in an envelope", or even "Is it hard?"

Throw in the fact that it bleeps like R2-D2 on acid when you press the buttons, and it's great fun for kids.

Fantastic stocking filler - although I appreciate it's a bit too late for that now!
on 10 December 2007
As the title suggests I was quite surprised by how limited it was. It is pretty good when it comes to the animal/vegetable/mineral questions but the others it was sorely disappointing.

eg. I was thinking 'lightning' which in all fairness is quite a unique 'other' and after 25 questions it suggests 'angel'.

Another gripe I have is that some of the questions it asks are quite pointless eg.
Q. is it heavier than a duck?
Which is quite pointless if you are thinking aluminium

In conclusion, good for anyone under the age of 12 but quite disappointing for me (19)