on 11 January 2008
I couldn't believe my luck when this tripod arrived, It has the feel and build quality of something way up the product scale rivaling the makes of Manfrotto and Gitzo. Being a photographer i appreciate the second screw plate for a second camera body thats provided in the carry bag (yes you get a bag to) that you would have to spend another £30 to get from the bigger makes. The very sturdy legs open right out so you can get really low to the ground plus it makes everything that much more sturdy. The feet have a swivel function so you get maximum grip at the widest leg setting plus you can choose between rubber feet or spikes if your shooting on soft ground. The ball and socket head which is packaged in the box separate from the tripod is sturdy enough to handle my DSLR with the largest telephoto lens attached without problem. The legs are covered in foam which gives good grip and stops your hands getting cold when you move it from site to site.
To top it all the customer service from net gadgets was superb! He answered all my questions and the ones he couldn't he found out and called me back within ten mins with the answer.
If your looking for a proper pro tripod and you don't want to spend stupid amounts of cash then you'd be daft to not get this one!
on 18 October 2008
This is a "serious" photographer's tripod. You would not buy this for a compact camera, or for video use.
You would buy it to keep your digital SLR absolutely steady and enjoy the highest possible picture quality at slow shutter speeds near dawn and dusk, when many serious photographers like to make landscape shots. A lightweight aluminium tripod costing 10 or 20 pounds is simply not rigid enough for this purpose. This one is. It seems as stable as the more famous makes at much higher prices. That is not to say that it is equal in all respects to more expensive equipment (see later).
Tripods at this price are usually sold as two separate pieces, the tripod itself ("the legs") and the "head". This one came with both of these pieces packed separately in one box.
The tripod (legs) of this unit is the best part. It is heavy and rigid, and two of the legs have thick rubber grips for carrying. The legs can be spread out to unusual angles if required, by pushing a button on each leg to release a catch. It really is comparable to units such as the Manfrotto 190, except that it lacks the ability to angle the centre column (This is not an essential feature for most people). Like the Manfrotto, it is heavy to carry about. If this is unacceptable to you, you would have to spend far more money than this on a carbon fibre tripod. This tripod comes with rubber feet and spikes. The spikes appear when you screw the rubber feet inwards. An adequate carrying bag is included.
Tripod heads in this class are usually of the "Ball head" type, as is this one. The moving joint consists of an exposed ball and a locking lever. The best ball heads use a dry teflon coated metal ball. This one uses a metal ball coated in grease, and this is where the costs have been cut. I personally do not like to have grease near my photographic equipment, with the risk of transferring it to my hands or camera strap and onto the lens. Hence this ball head requires more care in handling than a more expensive one. But on the positive side it works reasonably smoothly and is completely rigid when locked. The ball head has a detachable mounting plate for the camera, and a spare is included in the bag. The mounting plate has a quick release catch and also a locking screw, to make sure that it does not become detached by accident.
This tripod works about as well as equipment that costs over £150, but it is not as convenient. Overall I give it 4 stars instead of 5 because of the grease coated ball. At less than 50 pounds, it is very good value for money.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 4 December 2008
I've taken this tripod out a few times since it arrived and I'm very impressed. Height wise it extends just short of six foot, and the independently adjustable legs allow you to position it as required. The feet also adjust to match the angle of the surface they are resting against, providing a reasonably secure footing at all times (the feet can be converted into spikes for soft ground as well). The quick release mechanism is good, but requires tightening if you want to truly secure the camera to the tripod. This is easily done through a thumb screw on the head but does make the quick release not quite as quick as it is on other tripods.

In the package you get the tripod, a head, to camera plates, some allen keys and a bag. The screw used to mount the plate to the camera has a small handle on it meaning it can be added/removed to the camera by hand, negating the need to carry round a screwdriver (or coin!) to do this as is the case with other tripods.

There are some drawbacks. The tripod, and especially the head (which can be removed / replaced if need be) is relatively heavy - although this does give it a sturdy feeling. It's not overly heavy, but is noticeable if you're upgrading from a lighter / smaller tripod. The ball head is also not as smooth as some, which may make panning, especially for video, difficult. I've also had the quick release clips on the legs become loose. This is a pain and requires tightening with the supplied allen keys, so make sure you carry them in your bag.

These are all minor niggles though, and you would have to spend five or six times more to find a tripod that would cure them. This tripod is outstanding (unbelievable really) value that feels really solid and is adaptable enough to work in most situations. You really can't go wrong wth this quality at this price.
on 24 July 2009
Just starting out in photography I wanted a sturdy mid-range tripod good enough to see me through a couple of years until a heftier investment might be worth it. I read the reviews here, popped for this one and I'm very pleased indeed. A good sign is that after a few hours playing I like it more with each use. Secure, stable, solid but not too heavy, and good overall build quality. Spare quick release plate (with screw lock to secure), pleasingly resistant but smooth ball head movement, feet can be adjusted to reveal spikes (thanks to reviewer here who mentioned that), 'infinite' clockwise rotation on the head so that swapping sides in vertical shots is easy, spirit level and bag. The latter is a bit flimsy but does the job. Only quibble is that brand is not as advertised (it's Hahnel not Konig) and that full height is only about 150cm by the time you've stuck on a 35mm SLR. That's fine for me as a shorty, but tall photographers may find it annoying. Overall a a fab little peice of kit, delivered quickly and in good condition.
on 28 April 2010
My previous tripod - branded as a well known high street camera outlet, failed while on a short break at the weekend (24th April 2010). One of the leg extension clamps fell apart irrepairably. I'm not a gifted or even prolific photographer, but I do like taking long exposures and some long lens shots, both of which require a tripod. So on my return home Sunday 25th, I got stuck into the internet and soon found this tripod. I don't buy on impulse but read all 49 interviews, decided that 49 people couldn't be that wrong, so placed my order on Monday 26th. Delivered about 36 hours later - Wednesday 28th April!
First impressions; It's a serious piece of engineering, very solid. The pay off is that it is heavy, certainly compared to my previous (partly plastic) tripod. One review commented on the amount of grease on the ball head. Well mine as delivered had no lubricant on the ball at all. The centre column can be located upside down (so the camera hangs under the tripod) - you just have to remove the rubber cover on the end of the column. One slight worry is that the leg extension clamps operate the same way as the one which fell apart on me 3 days ago, but that was cheap plastic while this is metal and all held together with bolts adjustable with allen keys (supplied), so they should stand up to normal use. I was also concerned that the information on the net implied that the fully extended height fell short of that average person's height, but I am pleased to report that at full extension it comes up higher than my eye line, so I won't have to stoop to use it. (I'm 5ft 9-ish on a good day!) The bag stinks, so store it outside the house for a while. It comes with no instructions, but then I had no problem working out how it all operates. Not having used it in anger as yet, I'm very impressed by the solid construction - but I wouldn't want to have to lug it over rough terrain for any great distance along with all my other gear.
All I have to do now is re-read 49 reviews to pick up on all the points other reviewers have spotted.

5th May 2010;
Further to my initial review above, I have come across a few niggles with this tripod.
Firstly, I wanted to check the tightness of all the bolts, particularly the adjustment of the leg clamps. Discovered that the supplied allen key is difficult to get to fit the bolts - seems to be a bit too big.

Secondly, despite my best efforts to lubricate the ball, it is still stiff to move. My concern is that the easiest way to adjust the position is to move the camera, but I consider that would be stressing (or worse) the camera body. I try to move the mounting plate now rather than the camera itself. I will start looking around for an alternative head, with a handle.

Thirdly, after playing about with the tripod for a while I discovered a small shaft of steel/aluminium on the carpet beneath where the tripod had been standing. It widens out at one end and then comes to a point. In profile looks like an arrowhead. It must have come off the tripod, but I can't for the life of me figure out where it goes.

I still think this is a cracking bit of kit, but some of the shine has come off it for me now.
on 2 November 2010
Bought this tripod because of all the positive reviews I'd read (ok the price may have had something to do with it too!!). But I really had to put 'fingers to keys' to say to anyone out there thinking of buying this bit of kit- JUST BUY IT!! It really is all that!

Being fairly new to digital SLR photography, I was considering buying a really cheap tripod, of which there are so many for sale on Amazon, thinking I would be wasting my money on something I would rarely use. Trust me all you newbies to DSLRing- you will use and use and use your tripod!! So my advice to you all is get something that will last. Don't get me wrong, the Manfrotto's etc are really good (the ones i've seen anyway), but they come at a price eh. This one is an absolute bargain for what you actually get. Sturdy as a rock, nice solid locking legs, rubber feet over spikes. The ball head to be honest isn't the best but works just fine-comes with a bag too.

Last word- I love the brand names just like the next guy, but when you come across something that really works for half or even a quarter of the price- I'd rather put the rest towards a new lens.....or a curry and a few pints!!!

CHEERS!!
on 11 September 2008
Heavy Duty Professional Aluminium Tripod with Ball Head for Camera/Video

If you take your photography seriously and are looking for a good quality tripod, then look no further. I looked at all the famous brands, Manfotto, Gitzo, Velbon etc. but found them way out of my price range,especially when you have to factor in the head as well! I needed a good sturdy tripod, pan and tilt head and legs that were adjustable independantly, not only in length but width as well, this tripod does it.
I read reviews and would not have bought this item if it hadnt been for the 3 previous contributors, thank you so much.
Everything they have said about this item is spot on, the build quality is unbelievable for the price. Where to start!
Pan and tilt head, with spirit level and quick release plate,even a spare quick release plate in the bag. strong sturdy legs, length and width adjustable, with ball cushioned feet.
I only ordered this yesterday and it arrived at 07.30 this morning, fantastic service from netgadgets.
I cant stop raving about this tripod to the wife it is that good for the price.
on 16 March 2009
It's not often that you buy something these days, and it really does come out the box better than you'd hoped!

This is one solidly-built tripod, with all cast-aluminium, steel and high-grip rubber and foam components, sturdy platform on a tube that pulls up and can be locked swiftly with the big half-turn locking lever, fully-sdjustable legs up to maximum extension, built-in spirit level, a bonus additional quick-release plate and carry bag.

It'll easily cope with bigger DSLR/lens combinations: no hesitation in giving a top score, especially for the price, delivered with remarkable alacrity by one of Amazon's partnering suppliers - no delivery charge (at least when I bought it - and a small but very nicely-made, free camera/camcorder bag!
on 22 September 2009
Unlike other reviewers I purchased this tripod for use with astronomy binoculars which weigh 3 Kilograms.Unlike photography I have to use vertical angles of up to 90 degrees(or directly overhead).The tripod head enables me to do this and it holds the binoculars rock steady at any angle. If the head is slapped,vibration settles down in a couple of seconds, which is well within normal limits. Also the head revolves horizontally a full 360 degrees which is great for astronomy. All in all the tripod exceeded my expectations and is just about perfect for astronomy use.
As to the reviewer who was concerned about oil on the ball, of course it would be better if the ball was teflon coated. But in normal use the ball is most unlikely to be touched and should not be a problem.
At less than £40 from Consoletronic this tripod has got to be bargain of the year.
on 6 January 2010
This is a sturdy, well built tripod, with plenty of really good features, at a very reasonable price. As the name suggests it is a heavy duty (and heavy) tripod so it is perfect for DSLRs, but is going to be overkill for a compact or even a large super-zoom. It is well built and everything works perfectly so you can be confidant of getting it balanced on any terrain and that the camera weight or wind is not going to topple it.

There are tons of features to get the camera in the right position: sturdy legs with very strong (adjustable) locking mechanisms which, at the press of a button, open right up so you can get them into any position. The feet are rubber and swivel to plant firmly on the ground and if you screw them right up to the leg there are also solid spikes for softer ground. The height adjusting column can be removed and re-entered upside down so the camera sits between the legs, which is great for low level or macro shots. The ball head is good, although out of the box mine was a little sticky and needed a little lubrication. It has a built in spirit level and the quick release plate is also good quality, easily tightened to the camera body and quickly slotted into and out of the tripod, but with a tightening screw to stop any movement. In fact when everything is tightened up there is no movement in the tripod at all, which is obviously what you want.

Included in the box is a second quick release for another camera body and a carrying bag, which also seems well made and should last well. Don't think it is mentioned on the product page, but the tripod has Konig printed on it.

Overall this is a great value tripod and might not be quite as good (although it isn't that far off) as a Manfrotto, but for the spec. it is considerably cheaper. Well recommended; a proper bargain (just like the Sound Magic PL30s I've bought from Amazon, which are totally un-photography-related!).