5.0 out of 5 stars Great game with great tactical online play
I am a great fan of Tom Clancys Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2. It is a game when you must use your brain and shooting ability. So do not buy if you are impatient as you will be killed very easily. I love online gamplay where there are 3 seperate campaigns with up to 16 players at one time plus many more game types. I reccomend to play the game on elevated risk as all...
Published on 11 Aug 2008 by S. J. Hill

3.0 out of 5 stars Short and fun. Like Ronnie Corbett
This game has only been out a couple of weeks and yet people are talking about already finishing it. That just tells you how short this game is and how dumb the AI is. XBox 360 is all about how much power the machine can handle, then surely the games should be designed to test that theory, not be all nostalgic and create games with the original xbox in mind with added...
Published on 20 Mar 2007 by Jason O'brien

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing graphics, 14 Mar 2007
Mr. P. S. Beattie (Scotland) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Didn't think too much of GRAW but GRAW2 is so much more. Graphics are amazing. Playing it on my 1080p TV they are mind blowing how realistic they are both in Single player and multiplayer. The graveyard in Single player is particularly well done, explosions are really good especially the petrol station from a helicopter.

Controls have not changed much since GRAW1 but they are much more responsive. It is a bit on the short side I am not that "hardcore" with games but I bought it on Sunday and finished by the Tuesday night on medium difficulty. So it is no impossible to play either which is good, but it will keep you entertained for more than a few hours.

It has quickly become one of my favourite games!! Top notch!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!!!! A must have!, 12 July 2007
Mr. M. J. Hicks (Stockport, Manchester) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This is the best game I own on the Xbox 360. What can I say? Graphics are outstanding, actual gameplay is amazing. The amount of control over your teams, vehicles, etc. is super. The level of detail that this game goes into is great, the vibrations are even included in FMV sequences, the sound is super and the game is suprisingly intense. Normally with these games, I'm quite calm and just go around shooting people without any care. But this game makes the whole concept feel more life-like with an unexpected element of suprise keeping you on your toes.

This is a definate must have, the multiplayer modes are great, and sub modes within these are great; you can even create your own custom modes!

I can't stress enough how much you need this game. It's a great investment and brings endless fun!

Only downside is the fact that the game is a bit short for my liking (but then again I am on my holidays and playing my xbox more than usual). Apart from that it's amazing.

4.0 out of 5 stars More Like A Expansion Pack, 12 Mar 2007
Steve (Manchester (Salford)) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I bought GRAW2 yesterday and i have to say im impressed, its pretty much the same as the first GRAW but more polished. if you expect something different then you will disappointed but if you want whats pretty much an add on expansion pack then this could be for you.

Little has changed but there are changes to be seen, being able to view firefights thru the eyes of you team is at times useful.

I havent played online yet but i prey its better than the original ghost recon advanced warfighter.

Nothing much has changed, depending on if you liked the original then that could be a good or bad thing, for me its a good thing :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent multiplayer game that will last - good solid single player too, 23 Mar 2007
Silverfrog (Leeds UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Single player

In the single player mode, you play Captain Mitchell again as in the first GRAW with 2 types of games: a campaign in which you go through the storyline; or Quick Mission both of these types of games you can select 3 difficulty levels, low risk, guarded risk or elevated risk. You also command 3 members of your team who may be selected at the beginning of each level who specialise in different areas. You can choose 3 types of riflemen, a gunner, a grenadier, marksmen or Medic. When you command your team, they all have to move to the same location which can be annoying if you have quite a varied team ability and want different locations. However this does make it easier and faster to command them.

The campaigns story is not particularly interesting but fun all the same. The only thing i would note is that it's annoying that you can not skip animations but it is fun looking around when you are sat in the chopper and potentially helps put you more in the role of the Character. The thing i liked most was that if you were playing the game for the first time and selected the hardest level, the game unlocked normal and easy levels as you progressed through the story so you didn't have to play through the whole thing again needlessly.

It's fun blowing things up and taking out troops in all sorts of different ways and i loved the music which is very atmospheric. The gameplay is good and the movement is very reactive (For example you slide if you are running and suddenly go to a crouch position) and the controls are intuitive and easy to pick up.

Multiplayer

In multiplayer mode, you can play with either 4 controllers on your XBox360 with your mates in split screen but unless you've got a big screen or don't mind squinting, it's not quite as satisfying. Go online and your options open up. You can play with up to 15 other players online in different game types.

Solo - where every man is out for themselves - good luck!!

Co-op where all players play on the same team

Team where you play on a selected team agains other online players

For each of these game types there are further subtypes; campaign (co-op only), elimination (kill all enemies), objective (self-explanitory), Territory

(where you have to maintain a specific area of the map), Capture the flag or the Host can select specific game types.

The main multiplayer screen will allow you to load all available game types in play and you can select to join any one. The only annoying thing for me is that when you join a game that is in play, you just wait in the lobby where you view the players list, what type of game you will play in, the map etc. You don't have the option to view the other players in the game itself which would have been nice to pass the time - especially if it's a long game.

In the lobby, you can select what type of character you would like to play like rifleman, automatic rifleman, marksman or grenadier. Each class will excel in a specific weapon type. When the game loads, you cans select which weapons you want to use as primary, secondary and any demolitions if they have been allowed. Although you can select any weapon in the game, if the host has selected it, you get a class modifier - i.e. you get bonus hit points for using your own class' weapons or if you select a different class weapon, you have worse aim or something like that. When you die and respawn, you can select a different set of weapons if you like.

Like in most other online XBOX360 games you can join or create your own clan and play clan matches with your friends. You can also play ranked matches which is supposed to allow you to play against people of the same play ability. However there have been several reports of people being booted from games because their rank is too low. It is fun but it may take you a while to get into a good game.

If you've played the first GRAW, then you can download one free map NOWHERE from the developers site or pay to have 5 extra maps from the first game which i think costs around 800 microsoft points.

Verdict

All in all I think GRAW2 is an excellent game with a lot of replayability, especially online where the games can be up to 16 players (including yourself).

This makes for good play and it's nice that you have the choice to play against other online players or with several of them. However it can take quite a while for you to find a good game to play in and you can spend a lot of time in the lobby. Single player is fun but a little too easy even on elevated risk.

The game gets 4 stars from me due the annoyance of having to wait in the lobby instead of being able to view the other players in the game playing which would pass the time faster.

4.0 out of 5 stars ghost recon is quality, 29 Mar 2007
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
To be honest i got my x box at christmas for my lad who is 10. I thought i'd get some games for it myself due to the various first person shooters they had as a line up. Loved gears of war and was in need of another game to get me going. Was very disapointed with lost planet that was kinda dubbed as the next big title after 'gears'.

I am not disapointed with ghost recon 2 at all. Excellent graphics. Kinda takes a little time to get used to the controls as there is loads you can do. To be honest as well the massiv array of equipment you can employ in the game makes it that bit easier but it is fun.

Some great parts in the game.....i enjoyed the grave yard bit especially....just simpy the way it was designed and the graphics and music make it vet exciting i thought.

Im not one who wants to play games for months and months so ghost recon is excellent fo rme. I get bored very quickly. So its onto fear and prey next I think.

IN conclusion buy ghost recon it is a quality title that shows off the capabilities of the 360. YOu WILL enjoy it...promise!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing game, a must buy!, 12 Mar 2007
B. Kermode "modey" (isle of man) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I never got on with the original GRAW but this one seems much better, the graphics are stunning and I'd put this upthere with gears of war as a game you must own if you have an xbox 360.Much better than rainbow six which seems a lot harder and has a really stupid save system.The onlin play is also brilliant, i can't reccomend this game highly enough!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2, 16 Oct 2009
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I recently bought a copy of Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 (GRAW2 for short). I really enjoyed playing the prequel, and when I heard good reviews about the second I was keen to pick it up. But I never got around to it and there were other notable first and third person shooters competing for my time; Gears of War 2, Rainbow Six Vegas 2 and more recently Battlefield 1943 (amongst others). It would seem I was destined not to play GRAW2 until I stumbled across it whilst browsing.

Nostalgia can be a wonderful thing. For example, I have forgotten a lot of the reasons I dumped my ex girlfriends. I have forgotten the arguments. Instead I can fondly remember that first date, that first kiss and the first time we... nevermind. My point is that my memories of playing GRAW are also through rose-tinted glasses; happy gaming days where the graphics and game-play were excellent. And even though I have not really thought about it for a while, there has always been a part of me that wanted to pick up and play GRAW2.

Retrospective gaming is not that easy, as I have found out. Furthermore retrospective review writing is even less fun.

The story GRAW2 takes place immediately after the events of GRAW. In fact nearly everything about this game is exactly the same as the first. This has its merits in many ways; if you liked the first game (as many did) you will probably like the second (as many did). Personally, though, I do slightly begrudge paying top dollar for a game that has done little or nothing to improve the gaming experience of its predecessor. Agreed, in this case I didn't. But I would have been peeved if I had forked out for this on the day of release only to find that it's all, pretty much, the same.

As I hadn't played it for a while I figured I would familiarise myself with the controls and feel of the game. The `training' mission is quite short and sweet, and covers the basics of what you need to know. I also enjoyed this little walk down memory lane; the red diamonds that appear as you spot an enemy; the holding down of left trigger to steady your sight for the headshot; the cover system (which only 2 years on now feels antique). It did what was required, and that was to get me back into GRAW. And a bonus here (although I still don't know why Ubisoft do this in a lot of their games) is that I picked up 25 very easy gamer points for doing next to nothing.

There is then a `cut scene' in which you are driven to the start of the campaign mode. And it is here that I found my first real disappointment. The graphics in this were quite awful. The details, particularly in objects that were close, were not the polished article I remember from way back when. Perhaps this was because it wasn't a true cut scene, but one in which you can swivel your head to have a look around. For whatever reason, I remember feeling quite unimpressed.

However, cut scenes do not form a part of the core gaming experience, so perhaps it was a little picky of me to mention it. The game starts off as you would expect: quite slow, with only a few enemies to kill between you and the three other member of your squad. As you progress the enemies become more numerous and harder to kill (as in vehicles). It's all pretty standard FPS stuff. But what GRAW2 does well is the following...

The graphics during game-play are actually quite stunning. It does lack a bit of detail in places, like when you get up close to something, but I must say for the most part they are very good. The lighting as dusk approaches can still be used as a lesson to many developers, as the sun blinds you when it shines into your eyes and you cannot see what is lurking in the shadows. The atmosphere is pretty spot on, and as you will spend most of your time shooting or being shot at then you will find that the small details are a nice to have rather than a necessity.

The pace of the game is also good, with a mixture of stealth and all out gunfire. Headshots play their part as a quick and sometimes easy way of taking down an enemy rather then being drawn into a gun fight. They can also be satisfying if done over distance. You get explosives to play with, sniper rifles, grenades and machine guns. Picking the right weaponry will help you complete a level quicker, but it is not imperative. One thing that is lacking here, I felt, was the melee attack. There are games that do it ok (Halo 3) and games that do it very well (Gears of War), and then there are games that do not even try. This, sadly, is the latter.

The controls are quite easy to pick up, which is useful when you have a few new gadgets to control. Things are pretty much as they were before; you can control your squad's movements and rules of engagement (i.e. hold or fire); you control the hovering camera that will allow you to spot enemies from afar, until the notice it and shoot it out of the sky. What you also get this time is the ability to view through a squad member's helmet mounted camera. This can be useful when planning an attack on an enemy. But all in all things are the same as before.

And I think this is part of the problem with this game. There is nothing that remarkable about it when compared to GRAW. It feels like Ubisoft have simply completed the game they never quite got around to doing with the first. The campaign mode is short (about 6 hours according to some, although it took me and my cautious nature a bit longer). I am lead to believe that the online offering is (or was) fairly good, however I cannot bring myself to try it as there are other games out there offering an awesome online experience. Halo 3 has a plethora of maps and modes to choose from, and Gears 2 has Horde of course.

I'm sure this game was great in its day, and to be frank for what you can pick it up for these days I would say it is worth buying if you have £15 lying around somewhere. Just don't expect too much from this game. The graphics are great in places, and the gaming is solid and fun, however it is short and there is probably more fun to be had playing other games online.

So how do I score this game? Comparing it to other games to day I would give it a score of 80%. This might seem unfair, but this is the problem of doing something in retrospect. I cannot ignore the impact that other FPSs have had on the genre since then, and it is my opinion that you will get a lot more from a game like Gears 2 than GRAW2.

4.0 out of 5 stars good while it lasted, 25 April 2008
M. Welch "69yorkroad" (London) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I got the Legacy Edition with all the extra multiplayer maps - which is fine. But the single player campaign is far too short, and trying not to sound too boastful - far too easy! If there is to be a GRAW3 please make the campaign longer.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best game on 360, 24 April 2007
Mrs. Maxine Farmer "Napier99" (California) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This isnt going to be the longest review but wow this game is so good. I decided to write this review after seeing someone write 'boring as hell' and I had to disagree with them. This is the best Tom Clancy Ever and is even better then the first one. The freedom of how you approach every section of the game is immense and the controls have been suped up so they're the easiest they can possibly be. This game also has one of the best plots for an ending but then lacks in delivering the last words. Overall this game is a must buy for any tactical game player.

5.0 out of 5 stars 1 of the best 360 games to date, 2 April 2007
Mick L (Leicester UK) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Wow. I have been on for 4 days straight and i have still not finished. I have completed on all the difficulties and still feel like i could play it again. ONline is amazing, if not a bit to hard. 1 critism. I got it on the 30th march completed on the 31st march. 2 days i later i had done it on all difficulties. Only get it if you have live, rent if you don't. the 13 missions are amazing but are way to short and you will complete the game in 7-8 hours. Still a great game though, 1 i highly recommend.

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 (Xbox 360)