5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting, glossy, and rewarding
Published on 9 Feb. 2007 by Miss

3.0 out of 5 stars Only 12 episodes?
I love this show, but wanted to start from the beginning as I had only caught dribs and drabs on tv, so bought the first season and was very disappointed to find there are only 12 episodes on the season 1 discs but there were actaully 22 episodes in the first series.
Published on 27 Feb. 2013 by Fae

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting, glossy, and rewarding, 9 Feb. 2007
Miss "crazyminx" (Coventry) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Criminal Minds - Season 1 Complete [DVD] (DVD)
Criminal Minds is filmed with the same slick, well-produced Hollywood-style gloss as CSI and Without A Trace, and features the same case-of-the-week format and a similar team of young, attractive specialists headed by a complex, tortured and brilliant older man. This always successful formula, teamed with a tight and often amusing script, some excellent acting and a lot of seriously gasp-out-loud scary climaxes, makes for a brilliant programme.

Mandy Patinkin plays Agent Gideon, an intense, quiet but very talented criminal profiler who puts together physical and psychological descriptions of criminals by examining the crime scene. Most episodes build their way up to a climax where Gideon and his team struggle to identify and find the criminal before he commits another murder/kidnapping/arson etc. It's often edge-of-the-seat stuff, although it can be very gruesome, so be warned. The final showdown with the criminal is often electric, especially if the team have to play into his psychological fantasies, essentially reading his mind, in order to catch him or get him to surrender (an episode where Elle is trapped on a train with a maniac is especially good in this regard!).

Patinkin is great in the role (though arguably not as fantastic as he is in Dead Like Me - check it out if you're a Patinkin fan) and is very ably backed up by his team, especially Matthew Gray Gubler who plays the somewhat socially inept but genius Dr Reed. The good thing about Criminal Minds is that the actors have a lot to work with as we get to understand a little of the characters' backstories and motivations in some episodes, more so than in similar shows like CSI.

If you like your criminal shows tense, unpredictable, and with an element of intelligence, you'll love this - definitely worth checking out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV, 23 Aug. 2007
This review is from: Criminal Minds - Season 1 Complete [DVD] (DVD)
Being a huge fan of crime shows such as CSI and Without a Trace i'm always looking for new shows in the same vein and after recently finishing season 2 of dead like me I decided to give Criminal Minds a go partly so I could see more of the brilliant Mandy Patinkin. I certainly havent been disappointed. Where other shows sometimes rely too heavily on blood and gore for shock value, Criminal Minds is committed to showing the reasoning behind why individuals are compelled to commit such awful crimes in the first place. The fact that all of the episodes are based on real cases makes the show even more interesting to watch in a morbid kind of way. All in all, an exciting and brilliantly written series with a fantastic cast.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible!, 31 Dec. 2007
J. Matchett (N.Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Criminal Minds - Season 1 Complete [DVD] (DVD)
This series has surpassed what we've seen to date in the CSI, NCIS, BONES and DEXTER series' - (all of which are worth watching). There appears to be a trend towards introducing eclectic characters - the genius with social ineptitude is seen in this series as well as in BONES - although in this series we're given more of a glimpse into the minds of the profilers and into their past, their struggle with what they see in their job and how they reconcile this with their personal lives. The acting is stellar throughout - the only character I was unsure of initially, was A.J.Cook as the liason agent - I felt she was too young for this role.

The series gives more depth to the criminal, tracing their path through life - what preceded and shaped them into what they are today - the psychology behind the crime - the patterns - how that fits in with the history of similar crimes.

Many of the episodes in this series excel; others are great; some are good. All, are worth watching.

The quotation at the start and end of each episode, gives a touch of class and provokes thought - often encompassing the episode and adding the perfect finishing touch!

5.0 out of 5 stars Criminal to miss it!, 26 Mar. 2009
S. Laundon (Altrincham, Cheshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Criminal Minds - Season 1 Complete [DVD] (DVD)
I avoided Criminal Minds as I was hooked on csi and the shield and didn't want to commit to a new series. I recently happened upon the first series box set while house-sitting and I am completely addicted.
I have always loved anything about profiling and this didn't disappoint. The cases are varied and interesting, the stories drag you in. I am watching series 2 and so far, none of the cases have been a bit silly as I feel some episodes of CSI have been.
The characters are interesting, likeable and the dynamics between them are something which other crime series have been missing. The acting is top notch and the cast well chosen.
I ended up watching 16 episodes in one weekend and am desperately waiting for my series 3 to arrive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, love it, love it! :), 28 Aug. 2010
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Criminal Minds - Season 1 Complete [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this dvd season because I watch Medium and Bones etc and wanted something new to watch. When reading the reviews for Criminal Minds all I was seeing was words like 'Dark' 'Gruesome' and 'Depressing', and it put me off a bit, but I ordered it anyway to give it a try, and I have to admit - I LOVE it! I'm on Season 4 now and still do :) Yes, okay, it's a bit dark and dingy if you watch loads at once, of course it's going to be, it's about murder, but there's also bits of fun and humour in there aswell, and who can get depressed with Garcia there? She's a wonderful character and helps keep the programme funny and light-hearted, along with Agent Morgan. So, yes it's a bit dark, but give it a go, you might really enjoy it! :) Oh, and if you still feel it's a bit too dark and depressing for you, I recommend you try The Mentalist, it has a lot more humour and wit in it :) thankyou for reading!

3.0 out of 5 stars Only 12 episodes?, 27 Feb. 2013
Fae (Norfolk England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Criminal Minds - Season 1 Complete [DVD] (DVD)
This is the first box set I have ever bought that doesnt contain a complete season of an actual tv series, why have we only got 12 episodes, it doesnt make sense.
I still love watching these but cant help feeling ive wasted my money as I havent got what I thought I was getting and whats actually written in the description.

5.0 out of 5 stars Criminal Minds Season 1, 22 April 2010
CLAIRE MEESON - See all my reviews
This review is from: Criminal Minds - Season 1 Complete [DVD] (DVD)
I have now finished watching this first season and it is superb - I recommend it to anyone who enjoys crime series. It is very intelligently-written.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant series, 2 Feb. 2009
W. A. Poots (Belfast) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Criminal Minds - Season 1 Complete [DVD] (DVD)
A fantastic on the edge of your seat series. I bought the DVD for my husband as he'd watched a few of the programmes but now I've become a real fan. The characters are very diverse and each story is completely different. A very addictive show to watch, in fact I've also purchased series two!

5.0 out of 5 stars addicted, 13 Sept. 2009
This review is from: Criminal Minds - Season 1 Complete [DVD] (DVD)
the co-ordination of charachters, plot,acting, production, and drama make this series the best police programme on tv (topping the once untouchable law n order franchise). coverage of sensitive issues and focus on the unfortunate truth that monsters live among us, should reveal to the sensitive liberal that although we all hav rights, the rights of the victim are paramount

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating and intelligent, 14 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Criminal Minds - Season 1 Complete [DVD] (DVD)
I am not the biggest fan when it comes to procedural cop shows so I was pleasantly surprised when I began watching this show. There are moments of pure genius as well a brilliant comic timing. For a first series it definitely hits the ground running and, aside from a few beginning quirks, this show has a lot going for it. The characters are interesting and diverse enough to hold most people's interest although they are not fully developed until later in the series.

This season, being the first, seems to offer breadcrumbs on the characters and focusing more on the 'unsub' yet this does not detract from the insights provided by the strong writing and strong acting.

I'd recommend this for those indivuals who may have a passing interest in human psychology and good story telling.

Criminal Minds - Season 1 Complete [DVD]
Criminal Minds - Season 1 Complete [DVD] by Mandy Patinkin (DVD - 2007)