5.0 out of 5 stars Not one duff track on the whole CD
Published on 7 Feb 2007 by Sue from France

3.0 out of 5 stars Life in Cartoon Motion
Mika was new and his songs were intriguing. Shame he appears to have vanished. This CD is a good one though.
Published 6 months ago by Mr. T. W. Jackson

5.0 out of 5 stars Not one duff track on the whole CD, 7 Feb 2007
Sue from France "Sue" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Life in Cartoon Motion (Audio CD)
How rare is that! Every track is individual, in both lyrics and style and the instrumental arrangements are brilliant. Mika's voice is very gymnastic, very Freddie Mercury. I first heard Grace Kelly on Radio 2 (me being 40 and all....) and had to get my teenage son to download it, since then all of my kids have put in on their MP3s, Mika rules across the age range. The album is no different - refreshingly original, nothing else like it out there folks. Looks like Mika is here to stay.

4.0 out of 5 stars I love it!!, 21 April 2007
Sue (Devon, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Life in Cartoon Motion (Audio CD)
I agree that this is a fantastic album. It's true that there's more than a hint of Scissor Sisters, Freddie Mercury/Queen and Robbie in the various songs but this is part of the appeal for me. Every song has a catchy beat and I find myself singing along in the car every day on the way to work.

I've also noticed that the opening bars of Relax, Take It Easy seem to be very reminiscent of the tune to Cutting Crew's "I Just Died in Your Arms Tonight". Go on - sing along and see what I mean!!

That said, I love his style and think he could have a good future ahead of him. Buy it now!!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is what I've been waiting for!, 6 Feb 2007
This review is from: Life in Cartoon Motion (Audio CD)
My album arrived in yesterday's post and I haven't been so excited about an album since Rufus Wainwright's "Want Two"! I am a complete Rufus disciple, and Mika comes from a similar stable I think, although Mika has an infectious childishness and glee that the more mature Rufus doesn't have. Their irreverance is very similar, and the fact that they make music that doesn't need to fit into any genre.

Every track on this album is 'single' material, yet each one is different from the last. Within a few plays I was singing along with every track! "Relax, take it easy" has a pinch of "I just died in your arms tonight" by The Cutting Crew, but don't let you put that off!

Mika is a genius in the making (Rufus is one already!!!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Much more than just Grace......, 5 Feb 2007
This review is from: Life in Cartoon Motion (Audio CD)
At first i disliked Grace Kelly but slowly, ever so slowly, it sank into my brain and i found it growing on me. hey there was so much fun and invention in that song. Was Mika going to be a one hit wonder? what would happen when he had to fill an album with material? The CD came out today in the UK. Sadly on one of the worst days of my life and a day when I had no intrest in music. Instead of rushing out to get it I didn't. I waited until I popped to the local supermarket and bought it there. I am so glad I did as it took me to another happier place. It's a lovely cd. what more can i say. thanks Mika.

Whatcha doing next?

5.0 out of 5 stars How to put it in words.....?, 15 Mar 2007
This review is from: Life in Cartoon Motion (Audio CD)
This is a total cliche, and its been said many times before, but this album changed my life. Corny, I know, but its true. I was a very depressed, down in the dumps individual who listened to mostly downbeat, pro-death, heavy metal music. I then heard the single, "Grace Kelly" on the radio in the car. I couldn't get it out of my head and looking back, it seems to be a good thing that the song totured me for hours as I searched the web to find out who wrote it. Once I tracked down Mika, I immediately downloaded the track. After many plays on my iPod, I bought the album, "Life in Cartoon Motion". Mika's humorous approach to homosexuality in "Billy Brown" and happy-go-lucky verses in "Love Today" really brought me into the light to see the beauty of life and individuality. I don't think that Mika uses other's music to make carbon-copies of the same-old, same-old; I think that he brings us back to a time when it wasn't a necessity to starve yourself for beauty as he says in "Big Girl (You Are Beautiful)" and when it was okay to be happy all the time. He brings us to a time when sexuality wasn't the only thing that sold an album. Times have changed, yes, but Mika brings us back to our innocence with his debut album. Good for you Mika, much appreciated. I can't wait for a second helping of happiness.

5.0 out of 5 stars A mega star is born, 6 Feb 2007
S. Buchan "S Buchan" (Gorleston UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Life in Cartoon Motion (Audio CD)
This Cd was brilliant ,I played the whole album and there wasn't one bad song on it,they were all brilliant.This guy had a lovely voice and he writes his own songs,A genius.He's been compared to Scissor Sisters,whom i'm a big fan off,ive got all there cd's .I think Mika is better than them.Im looking forwards to what this guy will produces next:-)

stuart

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing !!, 15 April 2007
This review is from: Life in Cartoon Motion (Audio CD)
I am so glad I bought this album - I've listened to it practically non stop ever since. The feel good 'Grace Kelly' and 'Love Today' single tracks are fab for warm summer days. 'My Interpretation' and 'Any Other World' are beautifully written and expertly delivered and 'Big Girl' and 'Billy Brown' - well I just love them! I could go on for hours but I'm off to listen to it again instead - do not miss this album buy it now - you won't be sorry - I think this man is a genius with one of the most fantastic voices and ranges I've heard - play it loud!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars "Quality tracks that will be happily replaying in your head to the point of craving another listen.", 23 Jan 2007
This review is from: Life in Cartoon Motion (Audio CD)
Funky dance pop. That's the best way I can think of describing this modern masterpiece of musical perfection. A blend of a true spectrum of genia from the strong Freddie Mercury-esque vocals to the having-fun style adopted by style companions 'Scissor Sisters,' Mika has managed to cross boundaries. By no means is Mika a style stealer though - while drawing from a wide influence, Mika has carved a space of his own. The effect? Quality tracks that will be happily replaying in your head to the point of craving another listen. Not in recent times has such an artist been discovered, and in a music industry dominated by s**t emo wannabes and people claiming to have the X-Factor - by which we mean their soon to be celeb list ranking - Mika's sound is a very welcome one: cheery, fun, carefree happy times! Mika, Bienvenue!

4.0 out of 5 stars Try not to resist... it'll get you in the end!, 17 Feb 2008
A. Sweeney "I don't care what you call me" (Brighton, East Sussex) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Life in Cartoon Motion (Audio CD)
Anyone just interested in serious, mature music should perhaps skip to the next review. In fact, I wanted so much to consider this album as too low brow for my tastes, but I'm afraid that the majority of this album is just bl**dy good to be ignored or dismissed. Track-by-track, Mika's debut album just worked it's way into my psyche and became too tempting a collection to ignore. Most of it is catchy as hell, more infectious than MRSA and puts a massive grin on your face everytime you hear it... so how exactly are you supposed to ignore an album like that in an end of year list? Simple answer - you can't.

The best tracks on this album are 'Grace Kelly', three minutes of pop genius, 'Love Today', in which Mika instructs us to love today and also love Mika, and 'Big Girl (You Are Beautiful)' a fantastic, positive song which hits back at our image-concious society in a totally fabulous way. 'Billy Brown', a song about a sexually confused guy is also a great song, managing to be both simultaneously camp and touching. That's essentially the key to Mika's success on this album - it's camp, it's fun, it's pop, but it's not mindless fluff. It has life-affirming greatness running through it, but is perhaps half-a-dozen classic songs short of a truly great album. What Life In Cartoon Motion is, however, is an album with a handful of extremely good, exceptionally enjoyable songs which are more than worth the price of the CD alone. I get the impression that you'll either love this or hate it - I'm with the former camp.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab.. Fab.. Fab, 1 Feb 2007
Ms. G. O. Moore "gemmoore" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Life in Cartoon Motion (Audio CD)
I didnt think i would like Mika how wrong i was!

Grace Kelly is fabulous but the rest of the album so lives up to its Hype.

All the songs are funky and so so catchy. This guy has such a great range highlighted in the beautiful love song Happy Ending, which if released will surely be huge.

Mixed in with such fab tunes as My Interpretation, Big Girl (you are beautiful)and Lollipop which is ridiculous but fantastic.

Get this album... this guy is gonna be huge!

Life in Cartoon Motion
Life in Cartoon Motion by Mika (Audio CD - 2007)