on 31 July 2010
4 Piece 30W Electronic Soldering Set + Lead Free Solder

This is the first soldering iron I've ever bought, so I'm by no means an expert, I think the package as a whole is well worth the money, the soldering iron is quite slim at the end, so it enables you to solder the tiniest of things, it heats up quite fast too, I've soldered quite a few tiny gadgets that were destined for the bin, but with this I fixed them, which alone proves it's a good and handy tool.
As I've said I'm no expert, but I did the jobs fine on my first attempt!! You even get a soldring pump, I don't think I'll ever need it though, let alone know how to use it.lol. 10/10
0Comment50 of 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 February 2012
OK, Having read other reviews thought it only right to add mine. So, the item is as described (not as the picture shows) soldering iron, solder sucker, stand and solder. Note there is no sponge as shown in the picture but this can be purchased from many other retailers. Having received mine I noted that the supplied tip seemed to be odd (looked like a sawn of screwdriver blade, I can tell the difference between a screwdirver blade and a chisel solder tip) so the first thing I did was to order some proper soldering iron tips (from Amazon). Now having fitted a new tip and used it to repair my guitar I can say for the money the iron (and tips) are very good value. The iron may not be the best quality but for home hobbyist use it is perfectly adequate (I am a qualified electronics and I.T. technician so I know what I am on about). So if you intend to use it for hobbies then it's fine.
11 comment20 of 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 August 2009
The set is good for the price. Contains a decent enough soldering iron, a fairly sturdy stand and enough solder to last before you'll need to buy more.
No need to shell out for an expensive set when this one does the job fine.
11 comment60 of 61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 August 2010
I use electric and soldering irons for other jobs. i.e. a 75 watt soldering iron for doing some battery or sensor connections, I use a gas soldering iron for soldering lead in stained glass windows. Why do I say this - well this is a small soldering iron for doing SMALL jobs. I bought it to complete the refurbishment of an electric guitar which required some fine soldering work. (oh, to answer a previous question - the pump is for sucking off the old solder before you resolder a joint - stops you ending up with a mountain of solder and a possible short)
So soldering iron/stand/pump and solder - fantastic value and performed very well for the job I wanted.
0Comment77 of 79 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 December 2009
I bought this to solder in a replacement battery as to send it back for replacement was going to cost a lot more. It worked perfectly for the job. I would say for occasional use it'll do the job well. Only issue it takes a while to warm up.
11 comment11 of 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 March 2010
A basic piece of kit for the beginner or for those small jobs where a fine tip is what you need. I had struggled to get a job done due to restricted space around connections so the pointed tip was ideal. The job finally took less than 5 minutes, including warm up, just goes to show that everything is much simpler with the right tools. At this price vs the savings I made by doing the job at home (i-Pod battery replacement) I could afford to buy a new iron every time and still be in pocket! Excellent.
on 11 May 2014
I study engineering at the University of Manchester, and wanted a cheap soldering iron for some small side projects. On first sight, this product seemed like a bargain - I was dubious about the quality to begin with, but the numerous 5 star reviews put me at ease. After arrival of the soldering kit, I proceeded to set it up and turn it on. After only a minute or so, I could smell the unpleasant acrid smell of burning plastic, and white smoke began pouring out of the iron. Had I left it on any longer, I suspect that it would not have taken long to start a fire. After reading the poor reviews more closely, I realized this had happened to many others too. I therefore returned this product and received a full refund.

This product is potentially DANGEROUS, and therefore I would not recommend to anyone. The price may seem tempting, but it is not worth the risk. Far better quality irons can be purchased elsewhere.
on 5 July 2009
Thought I had to defend this product against the previous (and unwarranted) review.
This set includes a decent soldering iron (30w, Pointed head), stand, solder and a pump (not that have any idea what use it is) for a very reasonable price.
I recently bought it to solder some SMD LED's, they're extremely small and this had no trouble with them.
Good product.
77 comments47 of 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 February 2010
Very useful piece of equipment.It performs exactley as stated in the description given.The solder and solder pump make it possible to use the kit straight away.
on 15 August 2012
I bought this ready to do a quick solder job however the tip at the end would never heat up efficiently which made tinning near impossible. The solder would clump together on the tip and be unusable, this is when the iron would actually heat up the solder. It often took a few seconds of holding the solder onto the tip before melting occurred.
As the title suggests yes this kit is good but i would not recommend it due to the difficulties involved. If you are a beginner you are better in spending around £20 on a decent kit so you can actually solder and get used to the skills. I have now got rid of the iron and got myself a £15 stand alone one and you can see the difference.