5.0 out of 5 stars Wasn't sure what to expect...
Published on 10 Mar 2007 by Roxy le foxy

3.0 out of 5 stars Sir Duke
Published on 6 Sep 2007 by Lawrence Major

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Wasn't sure what to expect..., 10 Mar 2007
This review is from: Myths Of The Near Future (Audio CD)
After only hearing a small handful of their songs, this buy was a bit of a risk! On first listen to be honest I wasn't too impressed, and skipped most of the songs. However, upon second listen (and without skipping any songs) I really liked it! The songs are all unique and although not catchy in an obvious way, I found myself singing along in no time and humming away for most of the day! This has to be one of my favourite albums at the moment, and despite listening to it most days- I still pick up on new things I missed the previous times. Whether you like crashing synths, smooth vocals, memorable melodies, or even dancing around whilst getting ready- then this album is sure to be a winner with you!

5.0 out of 5 stars the next big thing, 21 Jan 2007
Mr. R. Sood (Glasgow) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Myths Of The Near Future (Audio CD)
the album is great! magick is a top single, and golden skans will be too. atlantis to interzone, gravity's rainbow, 4 horsemen of 2012 and it's not over yet are also great songs on the album.

i strongly urge people to by their xan valleys EP as well. there are 2 quality remixes on it, and another song from the klaxons, called The Bouncer.

these boys deserve to be huge.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Cool, 13 Sep 2007
This review is from: Myths Of The Near Future (Audio CD)
I was not sure about this album at first, I listened too it on a long boring drive home one night and realised I had not skipped a track which i realised had to be a good sign! I was still undecided when I reached home and decided to keep it in the CD player. This album is a grower; the more you listen to it the better it gets. It is quite 80's and that little bit different not the ususal Kooks / The View drivel. It has got some substance and is not the usual indie jangly guitar crap that there seems to be so much of at the moment. Not sure it quite deserves 5 stars but its a very good 4 stars.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sir Duke, 6 Sep 2007
This review is from: Myths Of The Near Future (Audio CD)
Well this album has it's moments - it sounds like the Klaxons made an effort to create something truely original. But seriously Gravity's Rainbow just sounds like something from the rave vaults of 1991. Also the references to Crowley, Burroughs and the illuminati eye artwork are a cheap shot lots of rock acts have done that over the last 40 years - not very original boys - but Thomas Pyncheon fair play nine out of ten. A couple of good tracks here but no classic songs for me I'm afraid. I'm very glad this record exists - I'm glad this band won the Mercury
Prize too! The Klaxons sound fresh it is ecclectic but a classic album that people will listen to over and over again I don't think so sorry guys!

5.0 out of 5 stars It's no myth, it's a legend., 30 Jan 2007
This review is from: Myths Of The Near Future (Audio CD)
This album is totally amazing.

Hyped up to hell, a band that will be huge with the commercial fan base, not always the best thing, but I don't mind as long as they make great music. Klaxons have fabricated an original creative bible of modern music.

I entered 2007 with the hope that music will be so much better than 2006's dire offerings, and this album sincerely has backed up my hopes.

Stand out tunes are obviously Golden Skans, quite possibly the best track, which deservedly became the first single.

Stand out tracks though, Atlantis, Gravity's Rainbow and the quite under-rated Forgotten Words in my opinion.

However, an amazing album with not one track of filler.

Well done boys.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pigeonhole this!, 30 Jan 2007
T. Robinson - See all my reviews
This review is from: Myths Of The Near Future (Audio CD)
Maybe like you...I wasn't sure whether to buy this. I was thinking I was too old to like The Klaxons!. Fortunately I was wrong and whether the band like it or not, there is plenty for adults to enjoy as well as the glo-stick waving teens. In fact, the whole New-Rave/Indie Rave angle is a complete red herring. They do draw from 90s Rave music as reference points, and very effective it is too. But theres a lot more to them than some novelty act...they are not an EMF for the 21st century thats for sure!

Theres all kinds of influences in here. I hear echoes of New Order, Pink Floyd, Gary Numan (!), Bowie, even NYC Art-rockers TV On the Radio.

Above all, its a great Indie-pop record. Stick with it because it gets off to a rather slow start with 'Two Receivers' one of the weaker tracks here, and the ravey sirens on 'Atlantis...' are a bit daft but once you're a few tracks in you realise its quite a varied and multi-layered beast. The lyrics aren't yer standard boy meets girl fare either...."Galloping Galloping Beams."..."Cyclops gazing alone...face to face" and all. Sometimes it all gets a bit 'Stone 'enge' or but I think they're in on the joke.

Too good to be just for the under 21s and I hope the music gets heard above the rather misleading press.

5.0 out of 5 stars Serious Album Of The Year Contender...Already!, 9 Feb 2007
Michael (Billingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Myths Of The Near Future (Audio CD)
I think the best thing to do is ignore the so-called `new rave' controversy and give a track by track review.

1. Two Receivers - This is a startlingly atmospheric opener, which builds up tremendously. A much slower number than most of the tracks on here, but retains an epic feel to it. A great start to the album.

2. Atlantis To Interzone - You've heard it and, therefore, surely loved it. Fast, irresistibly danceable and utterly insane. It probably is my favourite track on the album. It's about time somebody put the keyboard's `DJ!' button to use in a song! Awesome, in a word.

3. Golden Skans - A pure pop chart hit, which contrasts with much of the album, yet still retains the trademark Klaxons sound. A combination of a catchy chorus and gorgeously polished production make it a winner. The background vocals are actually, for lack of a better term, beautiful.

4. Totem On The Timeline - I was appalled to see one review call this `filler.' This is another track to have you on your feet, and is also catchy enough for you to know every word after two listens. This has a much more typical indie sound to it than most of the tracks, as it is all about guitars rather than distortion and sound effects.

5. As Above, So Below - This sounds excellent on the record. Yet another easily accessible chorus. It is difficult to compare this to anyone else. The track has a very unique sound. A surprise highlight for me.

6. Isle Of Her - The band's attempts at a massive sing-along anthem work wonders here. There is a lot going on in this one, but it remains organised rather than disjointed. Not really danceable, but the catchiness continues. Notice a trend?

7. Gravity's Rainbow - Another track you must know, and it hasn't suffered as a result of being re-recorded. This is more traditional indie once again, and is fairly short, but very sweet. I challenge anyone to be able to get the hook of `Come with me, come with me/We'll travel to infinity' out of their head. It simply sounds like a huge hit.

8. Forgotten Works - Probably the weakest track, though it is OK. The bass line on this is delicious, but there isn't much else happening on this track. The hook is pretty simple, as are the verses, and less isn't more in this case. Worth a listen, but not one of my personal favourites.

9. Magick - This one took an age to grow on me, but it did. The background vocals are great on here, as on Golden Skans. Few other similarities can be found between the tracks. When you contrast the two singles, this is a raw, moody and dark tune completely removed from Golden Skans' pop appeal. Magick is sinister and menacing, but it works nevertheless.

10. It's Not Over Yet - A cover of the rave classic. I remember little about the original, but this isn't bad by any means. It's not one of the strongest on here, but is danceable and provides yet another sing-along chorus. A solid cover.

11. Four Horsemen Of 2012 - Wow. This is brilliant. To the casual listener this is surely the least accessible track, and is closely followed by Magick as the most dark, disturbing track on here. Dual vocals are utilised with an anxious squeal running in juxtaposition with worrying, almost inaudible murmurs throughout. The drumming here is fantastically frantic, giving the track an apocalyptic sound. A perfect way to end an album really; with an absolutely explosive climax. The instrumental 15 minutes after this song is not really worth waiting for, as it is merely a bunch of sound effects thrown together.

All in all, I think it is safe to believe the hype. This is an album of the year contender already. Clocking in at only 35 minutes approximately, excluding the hidden `track,' this is a quick, catchy listen from one of the country's most exciting new bands. They're not `new rave,' even they have admitted that, but they are a unique brand of indie waiting to take over. I would recommend this to anyone, and I am actually shocked when people don't like this. It's brilliant.

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh well, they can't all be good, 2 Feb 2009
H. meiehofer "haroldm" (glasgow, scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Myths Of The Near Future (Audio CD)
I finally decided to take a punt on this, mainly on the basis of the Golden Skans single which is OK and also because the price had dropped to a reasonable level.

Have to say I was pretty disappointed. It is all pretty ordinary. Nothing really stands out in this melange of sound. It certainly is loud but there is generally a lack of discernible melody (Golden Skans being a notable exception). Now I can take this a lot of the time (Mars Volta anyone?) but when the work also appears devoid of any particular inspiration or originality as well then it is time to give up.

I am absolutely gobsmacked that this managed to take the Mercury prize in 2007. There were a number of better albums. In particular the fusion of jazz style with 60's girl group influence employed by Amy Winehouse should have beat this lot out of the park. Not to mention, Jamie T, Bat for Lashes, Arctic Monkeys and Young Knives (OK, to be pedantic I just did mention them). If you are looking to spend a few quid any of these is a better bet.

The Klaxons are also guilty of one of my pet hates; the final track with a big long silence and then the so-called bonus track at the end. This is particularly annoying. I presume it is some form of anti-piracy measure but really, why should we all suffer because of a few rip-off merchants? This track is 19 minutes long. You get about three minutes at the start, then 15 minutes of silence, followed by a very mediocre "hidden" track. I know you can edit this on your Ipod, but I understand that it still uses up 19 minutes worth of memory, so I will delete.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unexpected good album, 11 Mar 2008
D. TOTSIOS "GO4" (Athens, Greece) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Myths Of The Near Future (Audio CD)
This band reminded me the old British funk band "Shriekback" on 80's, playing fast accurate and having very interesting vocals (harmonic matching lead and back).
"Two receivers", "Atlantis to Interzone", "Golden Skans", "Totem on the Timeline" synthesis is a strong entry. Also, "It's Not Over Yet", "Magick" and "Gravity's Rainbow" are very good.
I paid attention to the full worked bass in all over the album - very good performance here -.
Certainly promising band. After this start I wonder how could be their next one. I'm looking forward to.

2.0 out of 5 stars Another victim of the loudness war, 25 Sep 2007
A. Hosking "A" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Myths Of The Near Future (Audio CD)
I liked this album but I found that I just didn't listen to it, for some reason it sounded to garish, and the drums sound pathetic and quiet.
I downloaded some audio analysis software and looked at this album in it and it was like looking at a picture of a brick!
If you don't know what the loudness war is and why it is ruining music search for loudness war on youtube there is a video there with a great explanation (its especially worth watching before you leave a helpfulness vote on this review!!). Meanwhile the producer who did this should be fired for making what would other wise have be a great album, into something rubbish.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Myths Of The Near Future
Myths Of The Near Future by Klaxons (Audio CD - 2007)