5.0 out of 5 stars AWAKE!
Published on 7 Nov 2006 by Margosh

3.0 out of 5 stars Track Listings not totally accurate
I bought this album partly because the Track Listings said it contained one of my favourite tracks by this artist.

I was disappointed to find that there was no Track 14 i.e. You Raise Me Up. There were only 13 tracks.

I couldn't find a suitable link to let Amazon know this needs to be updated so be aware of this point.
Published on 14 Feb 2007 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars AWAKE!, 7 Nov 2006
This review is from: Awake [CD + DVD] (Audio CD)
This will rate as one of my best album/CD's ever (and as I have been around for a while I do have quite a few!). I have all Josh Groban's CD's and can call myself a true Grobanite but I waited with some trepidation for this new CD not knowing where Josh would take us and which direction he would head. I was privileged to be at The BBC2 live broadcast at the Mermaid recently and hear the premier of some of these songs. This is an outstanding CD. The 'Special Edition' with 2 additional tracks and DVD takes my breath away. I cannot recommend this highly enough - some new directions for JOsh but they really work.

If you are interested enough to be reading these reviews I would say 'buy the CD/DVD'. Josh is a great guy and his voice takes you to another place. A young man with a huge natural talent. Absolutely 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good album., 29 Nov 2006
This review is from: Awake [CD + DVD] (Audio CD)
This is the third and latest album from Josh Groban. It is in a different and refrshing style from his last two. As expected, it contains really beautiful songs. He is even rocking out a bit with some drums and a little guitar. Another nice thing is that he has started using his falsetto more which is really good and adds a nice touch and variety to his songs.

Good voice, good songs, good lyrics. Also the DVD is funny and gives us an insight into what Josh is like. He has a nice personality from what I have seen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely good value again., 6 Dec 2006
M. E. Wilson (Hull, England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Awake [CD + DVD] (Audio CD)
I became a fan of Josh's having seen him perform on Classic FMTV. He has a beautiful voice and this album, like his others consists of songs in English and others in Italian (I think?). The DVD is about the making of the CD album and not a visual performance of Josh singing the tracks on the album. It grew on me after a few playings and I now think that it is a great CD. Words to all 15 (INCLUDES 2 BONUS TRACKS) songs included.

Very good value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Third & Best Studio Album, 27 April 2007
Linda Z. (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Awake (Audio CD)
The songs "Lullaby" and "Weeping" sung by Groban with the respected South African musical group Ladysmith Black Mambazo and with further contributions from Vusi Mahlasela and Dave Matthews highlight Groban's growth as an artist. "Weeping" is a pop song from South Africa that captures the struggle with Apartheid. "Lullaby" is the highlight of the album and it is a thematic extension of "Weeping"

The South African-inspired songs were a departure for Josh Groban but it's refreshing to listen to his talent outside operatic songs like "You are Loved," "She Dances" and others. As with all Groban albums the songs are performed in English, Italian and Spanish.

"Awake" gives a modern feel to his voice with more instruments being used than just the classic piano accompaniment on his previous albums. I really like this album and consider it Groban's best album so far. For some reading, I recommend "Nexus A Neo Novel" for its psychological and spiritual insights.

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas came early this year, 9 Nov 2006
Amanda Richards "Hotpurplekoolaid" (ECD, Guyana) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Awake [CD + DVD] (Audio CD)
The twenty-five year old phenomenon with the swoon-inducing baritone returns with his third studio album just in time for Christmas, and I'm guessing that many of his fans are going to give themselves a pre-season treat.

Groban expands his horizons on this album, writing and producing some of the tracks, and mixing it up with international artistes like Ladysmith Black Mambazo and Herbie Hancock, not forgetting Dave Matthews, Five for Fighting and of course David Foster. Following his earlier formula, there are tracks in English, Italian and Spanish, and although the lyrics may be in another language, this doesn't detract from the simple and timeless beauty of the music.

First single "You Are Loved (Don't Give Up)" is one of the most inspiring tracks, with lyrics like "Don't give up / It's just the weight of the world / When you're heart's heavy / I...I will lift it for you", but the crème de la crème as far as I'm concerned is the amazing "February Song" where he accompanies himself on the piano.

Another track to note is "So She Dances" and then there's "In Her Eyes", but one that'll stop you in your tracks is "Lullaby", written by Groban and Dave Matthews, and sung a cappella with Ladysmith Black Mambazo. If you liked Paul Simon's "Graceland", you'll love "Weeping", also with Ladysmith Black Mambazo, and what better way to close an album than a collaboration with Herbie Hancock.

Third time's another charmer for Josh Groban.

Amanda Richards

4.0 out of 5 stars true to his talent, 6 Mar 2007
Kj Cattrell "Music fan" (N Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Awake (Audio CD)
Whilst some may not like certain departures such as working with Black Mambaso the song "Weeping" has a clear message and shows a clear flexibility away from the Italian operatic aria Tracks, "So She Dances" "You are loved" and "February Song" are proof the Josh Groban's Talent is growing and these songs are truly inspirational pieces of work and at 25y/o will be with us and me for many years to come. Only four stars then? Even for me the album has a song or two that don't fit. Buy it if only for the for tracks above it worth every penny and I know you will listen to the tracks again and again

5.0 out of 5 stars A great third offering from Josh, 13 Nov 2006
M. Bunting (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Awake [CD + DVD] (Audio CD)
AWAKE is a far more mature and diverse album to the previous two and may take a little getting used to.

When I first bought CLOSER I was unsure about it but it has probably become my favourite album of all time.

I have now listened to AWAKE a few times and I am already beginning to realise what a fantastic album it is. Josh's music is always so well written and sung that it is almost hard to accept that anything could come along and better it. I wouldn't say that this is a better album than CLOSER but it is easily on a par and for those who are not instantly taken with it, give it a bit of time and the songs will become just as memorable.

Josh has really matured as an artist and I just hope it is not so long again until the next one is released.

How about a Christmas album Josh?!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another beautiful album, 20 Feb 2007
This review is from: Awake (Audio CD)
Well, my copy has 14 tracks and includes 'you raise me up', which I already have, but a pleasure to listen to again. Some songs are a bit of a departure, but I think Josh handles it all brilliantly. After all, if he kept turning out the same old stuff, he would get critised for being 'dull'. I particularly like 'so she dances' a wonderful melody, sung with passion. Another magnificent album, from a truly inspired singer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheer Bliss, 28 May 2007
M. Rist "maggaloo" (Derbyshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Awake (Audio CD)
I give this cd 5 stars because, even though I'm not keen on a couple of tracks, the rest MORE than make up for them. The title track 'Awake' is superb. Really moving. The theme from Romeo and Juliet is so uplifting. I could go on, track by track, but everyone is going to have different opinions on the individual songs, so will leave you to make your own mind up. I love it. Josh's previous cd 'Closer' is better for those who are purists and would like Josh to stay in his comfort zone. He did step out of it a bit for this one, and I think it works. But try 'Closer' first if you are new to Josh's music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awake concert in Ireland, 11 Jun 2007
Dorothy Byrne "Irish lady" (UK & Rep of Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Awake (Audio CD)
I was surprised to find just how popular Josh is in Ireland. He held his one night 'Awake' concert at the Point Depot, which was full to capacity.

You could have heard a pin drop until that beautiful voice began singing then the place erupted.

Josh sang all of the songs on the album, surprising the audience by walking up and down the aisles to sing 'I am not a Hero', truly wonderful.

Each song was performed with feeling and warmth. His between song chats were funny and the concert had a lovely warm family feeling about it.

The concert was just on 2 hours long and I must say what value for money we received. If you are buying this album you are in for a treat, if ever you are lucky enough to see him live...grab the chance, you will not be disappointed. Josh is one of the finest singers and live performers I have ever seen...Wonderful.

Awake
Awake by Josh Groban (Audio CD - 2007)