5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the money
I broke my D40 18-55mm VR lens last year in a christmas party. Since then i have been using this lens and i did not had any problem at all. This doesnt come with a VR but still doesnt compromise on the image quality. I have used it for almost 8 months now and am completely satisfied with its output. Highly recommended.
Published on 4 Sep 2010 by Thiru007

3.0 out of 5 stars Consider the newer VR version instead
I posted this first as a comment (on someone else's review which said "Avoid the VR version"),
but I'm promoting it to a review so you might see it - the new version is better in many ways !
'VR' is vibration reduction - very useful indoors without using the flash.

£27 extra new, but often great deals 'used' as people upgrade their 'kit lens'...
Published 13 months ago by EricD

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the money, 4 Sep 2010
This review is from: Nikon AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6G ED II Lens Black (Electronics)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great basic lens!, 30 Jan 2011
Mr. P. A. Coldwell "Big Pete" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
I bought this lens to use with my second camera body. For the price it is an excellent lens and does exactly as promised in the description. Two main advantages of this over other standard zooms are the small size and it's ability to focus quite closely. The image quality is good at most settings and becomes very good in the middle of the zoom range and stopped down a little. As a general purpose lens this is all that is needed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Consider the newer VR version instead, 10 Oct 2013
'VR' is vibration reduction - very useful indoors without using the flash.

£27 extra new, but often great deals 'used' as people upgrade their 'kit lens'
Nikkor Lens AFS DX 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6G VR
Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR

[...]
"... it can't be denied that with this new VR version of the 18-55mm, Nikon have taken what was already a good lens and made it even better; it can't be overstated how useful VR can be ... when using a camera handheld."

VR is 60g heavier, ~3mm longer
"VR really works. I get about two stops of improvement"

[...]
Although the non-VR is just ahead on-axis at the wide end and full-open,
the VR beats it for transmission, distortion and aberration (but not vignetting) across the range.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Happy, 8 Dec 2009
J. Brazier "Newby" (Sterrebeek, Brussels) - See all my reviews
I write this review as I bought this item slightly by accident (I wanted the VR version, and accidentally purchased this version). Nonetheless, I received this, and have been very happy with the quality, and do not regret not getting the VR version. It is a very high quality item, and more than suits my needs for family photo's, and have seen no issues with the lense at all.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great everyday lens, 7 April 2011
A. Mawer (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this as a temporary replacement for a Nikon 18-200 VR lens that has stopped auto-focusing and I must admit to being pretty impressed. For most everyday portraits and landscapes it allows you to frame pretty much most things. I found the 18-200 a more versatile lens, but this is a fifth of the price yet you get the most useful parts of the range. As an everyday lens it is a lot less glass to carry too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great standard lens, 23 Nov 2012
Very good lens for everyday purposes. Bought one for my Nikon D40. The combination of auto and manual controls are great and the lens isn't too big to carry either. Overall great balance between functionality and ease of use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 14 April 2013
Ms. B. M. Graham (New Mills, High peak) - See all my reviews
My old lens broke and I desperately tried to find another in time for my fortnight's holiday in Japan. Fortunately I found this one on Amazon and was delighted with the speedy delivery and the quality of the product. I'm now enjoying all my photos!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great lens - but a little plasticky, 11 April 2013
Mr. James Newton "videostar" (Bedford, UK) - See all my reviews
Takes great pictures, does anything else matter? The build quality feels a little plasticky but don't drop it and life will be fine!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 18 Mar 2011
As far as image quality and ease of use go I can't fault this lens at the price. However, it's not proved at all robust. I found that at low temperatures the zoom was prone to stick. This wasn't a huge problem, but after about three years of use the zoom became troublesome at all temperatures until eventually it seized up all together. So, a nice lens for occasional use, but not a real work horse.

4.0 out of 5 stars Camera Equipment, 3 Dec 2010
This lens is perfect for what I require. I damaged my original one and needed a replacement asap. I ordered it through Amazon and within 3 days, my Nikon was fully equipped again. Now that is service!! Also a very reasonable price!