4.0 out of 5 stars Almost faultless!
Published on 11 Feb. 2007 by Mr. Paul I. Harrod

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as expected
Having bought Wild Young Hearts I wanted more of the Noisettes varied style, but I felt that this album was made up of the ones that weren't good enough for WYH. It's not rubbish and is still listen-able but I wouldn't have bought it if I'd had a good listen first...
Published on 31 Mar. 2010 by Bazwade

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost faultless!, 11 Feb. 2007
Mr. Paul I. Harrod "Rhino" (Bucks, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Whats The Time Mr Wolf (Audio CD)
I could compare this to any number of female-fronted rock groups throughout history but that would not only be lazy, it would also be inaccurate, as apart from the odd glimpse of a PJ Harvey wail this is utterly unique, without doing anything particularly new. Vocalist / bassist Shingai Shoniwa has a manic fevered intensity to her squawks that make the moments when she goes soulful all the more stunning (she even sounds like Adam Ant on one track - honest!) and her hairy, male backing duo are tight and fluid throughout. It would be churlish to pick out individual tracks - although the singles do shine brightest - as the record as a whole rattles along with little pause for breath, urging you to repeat it from the start all over again. I don't know how the ladies of the world keep on producing music which has significantly bigger testes than the supposed macho male ones without getting the deserved sales or plaudits, but I can only hope it continues cos this stuff is great. And what a title as well, took me right back to the primary school playground in 1981. And believe me that's not a bad place to be either.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sparkling debut, 21 Feb. 2007
This review is from: Whats The Time Mr Wolf (Audio CD)
The Noisettes debut is a breath of fresh air in the music market place. Only a trio, yet they can create a wild wall of discordant thrash in one moment and then be as tender and gentle as a baby in the next, with the vocals to match. In this respect, they remind me somewhat of Nirvana. Style wise, they've got the chops to do simple rock n roll like Don't Give Up through to the breathtaking musical gymnastics of Mind the Gap (jazz, blues, heavy rock, punk...). Highly recommended.

A great debut album and I'm looking forward to the next one having a little more consistency in the songwriting (not that there's a filler on this one) and maybe stronger production, especially to make the most of Shingai Shoniwa's truly fantastic voice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stomping, 22 May 2009
This review is from: Whats The Time Mr Wolf (Audio CD)
Fantastic musically/instrumentally, with only a couple of lyrical glitches (e.g. Mind the Gap?!), but the whole enthusiasm of the album makes up for that. Love it.

4.0 out of 5 stars get the bonus track too, 5 Mar. 2007
This review is from: Whats The Time Mr Wolf (Audio CD)
In some ways I think this is like what the Raconteurs CD might have sounded like if they'd got it right. An excellent mix of Zep type heavy riffola with a more melodic side.

I expected to be disappointed by the so-called burlesque/cabaret the heaviness is mixed with, but the band pretty much have their eye on the ball throughout.

Also, I'd just say take the trouble to insert your CD into your PC and get the bonus track from the band web site. It's no throwaway tack, it's easily as good as other tracks on the album.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as expected, 31 Mar. 2010
Bazwade (London (the real one!)) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Album, 6 Nov. 2009
Mr. S. P. Fox "Goose" (Dorset) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Whats The Time Mr Wolf (Audio CD)
Bought this album after getting Wild Young Hearts. I have to say this one is better, I love it. Not what I expected at all. After a couple of plays I couldn't get enough of it. Great songs and a great sound. If you buy it, you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Noisettes, 11 May 2012
This review is from: Whats The Time Mr Wolf (Audio CD)
Bought this for my dad for his birthday, and he's played it none stop for the week he's had it. I must admit, I do like the noisettes so I don't mind. Lovely voice - great, catchy songs with good lyrics. Dad is very pleased!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good album, 17 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Whats The Time Mr Wolf (Audio CD)
I bought this album after their second one (which I bought on the strength of 'go baby go'). It's got a more rocky edge to it, and rougher, but you can still hear what the band will become, good tunes, I like it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Best Living Front Woman, 19 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Whats The Time Mr Wolf (Audio CD)
Album tails off a bit but opening tracks are the fresh of breath air needed since Billie Holiday never got to record with Led Zeppelin

5.0 out of 5 stars Noisettes, 3 Aug. 2014
Love this band,,,,, Great album, thank you.

Whats The Time Mr Wolf
Whats The Time Mr Wolf by Noisettes (Audio CD - 2007)