4.0 out of 5 stars A mostly gripping yarn.
I purchased these Merell walking shoes to replace a similar pair. Having had 4 years of heavy use from my last pair I was pleased to be able to get these for a good price.

The shoes are lightweight but pretty robust and they do scrub up well in the washing machine.

Published on 17 Dec. 2008 by Theloneharanguer

3.0 out of 5 stars Moab Vent
The vent part of the product doesn't work that well as I get sweaty feet,and the laces are only just long enough to tie in a single knot so they keep coming undone. They are much shorter than in a previous pair I had.
Also sizes are very small so I bought one size larger than I usually wear.
Very good service from supplier.
Published on 27 Mar. 2011 by Stephen Bettaney

4.0 out of 5 stars A mostly gripping yarn., 17 Dec. 2008
This review is from: Merrell Moab Ventilator, Men's High Rise Hiking Shoes (Shoes)

My only complaint is that the Vibram soles do not grip well in icy conditions until they are well worn in.

I thoroughly recommend these shoes but do beware the first few times you wear them if it is icy.

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE MY FEET, MY FEET LOVE THESE SHOES, 6 Jan. 2014
Helpless "Helpless" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
For years I have been looking for hiking shoes that fit properly, shoes that are comfortable, shoes that are durable and shoes that are good value.

I'd have paid ten times the price for shoes as comfortable as these.

Shops selling these kind of hiking shoes litter the industrial estates and town centres of the land, but every time I have walked into one and asked for a pair size 11 or 12 or 13 (depending on the manufacturer) or anything that might fit they never have my size.

The usual reply is 'would you like to try on this pair of size 10's?'

Many manufacturers don't even go up to the sizes that Merrell do and in my opinion they are missing a huge opportunity as there are a lot of big footed men about.

I took a chance with these, and they were the perfect fit. They were so comfortable I went and bought a pair of boots for the winter as well. They fit perfectly too.

You should note that the shoes and boots in size 13 are also a generous width fitting, no blisters no aches and no pains.

Just remember this before you go out and treat your feet, shoes should not need to be broken in, that is a fallacy. If you need to break them in and go through a pain barrier then they are the wrong size or made of less than perfect materials. These shoes and the boots I bought went on and were as comfortable as a pair of old slippers. That's the sign of quality and a good fit.

5.0 out of 5 stars the most comfortable walking shoes I've ever had, 26 April 2009
Peter G (Maidenhead, England) - See all my reviews
I'd never heard of Merrells until I got these shoes on a recommendation. First I was impressed on my commutes to central London - amazed how easy the journey was because the shoe was so light and comfortable. These are now my shoes of choice, especially when out walking in the hills and by the river. Try them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good shoes but beware of sizing, 10 April 2009
These were the first pair of Merrells I have bought. I'm usually a UK size 9 but even though the shoes were marked UK Size 9 they were far too small. I rejected them and went to a local Mountain sports store and tried some on. I ended up buying a UK size 11. The assistant told me this was not unusual with Merrells.
On the plus side, they are extremely comfortable, I did a 15k hike on the first wear and no sore feet.
They would have got 5 stars but for the hassle of the sizing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent lightweight, comfortable walking shoe, 1 Sept. 2010
Merrell have a great reputation and this shoe lives up to it. Immediately comfortable - much more padding than competitors, lightweight, and quality construction with a good heavy duty deep tread.

Note that Merrell do two versions of this shoe. This one (without GoreTex) is best for summer, but not waterproof. The other version is lined with GoreTex and is waterproof and, whilst breathable, is not quite as good in summer is the non-GoreTex one. I have a pair of each - I have to say that the difference in breathability is not breathtaking, but it is noticeable - you are going to get hot feet on a summers day in both shoes, but the non-goretex one is best. The variants look very similar except that this one has grey around the ankle, whereas the goretex one has black in that area (and a little metal 'GoreTex' tag half way along the shoe).

I note that the title is hiking "boot". Obviously, from the picture, it isn't a boot - it is a shoe - as it has no ankle support. If you are doing serious hiking you should get a proper boot with ankle support, but for day hiking in light/intermediate terrain, or just casual wear, this is a great shoe.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best trainers I have ever had!, 15 July 2010
I bought my first pair of moab ventilator trainers two years ago. I bought them for walking in when I was abroad in the Far East. I have hardly had them off my feet since!. I do most of my summer walking in them, generally ten mile hikes, and 80% of my general day to day stuff is in my Merrells too. They were comfy on my feet and have remained so even after several cycles through the washing machine and tumble drier. I now need to replace them as I have worn all the tread of them, they are however still servicable, and presentable too, for day to day wear.

3.0 out of 5 stars Moab Vent, 27 Mar. 2011
Stephen Bettaney (UK) - See all my reviews
Also sizes are very small so I bought one size larger than I usually wear.
Very good service from supplier.

5.0 out of 5 stars The very best summer walking shoe ever!, 11 May 2009
Tim Leech (Deepest Cheshire) - See all my reviews
I've had a pair of Moab Ventilator Mid Boots for a year now and wear them all the time, pretty much every day and they're still in excellent nick so I've bought a pair of these shoes for this summer and they're every bit as good! Comfy straight out of the box and a real pleasure to wear no matter how long you're on your feet for. One thing though... They're ever so small for their size, I take a 46 (11uk) but in these I wear a 49 (13uk) so be warned! All in all, worth every penny and more!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great shoe - with no sizing problems !, 27 Oct. 2011
D. Jewell "davejewell" (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
I was concerned by the negative comments about sizing, but went ahead and ordered anyway. I'm very glad I did. I have got BIG feet - size 12, and my shoes fit like a glove. As another reviewer said, they are the most comfortable walking shoes I've worn in a long time.

I regularly walk around five or six miles a day and I have got through three pairs of Hawkshead walking shoes in the last year. The Hawsheads were a lot cheaper than the Merrells, and I know that my new Merrells will last longer. How do I know that? Well, I still have my old Merrells that I bought five years ago! They squeak a bit, and are slowly on the way out, but unlike all the Hawksheads, they haven't worn through the sole. I confidently expect these new Merrell's to be just as good, if not better. No more false economy with walking shoes for me!

Dave

4.0 out of 5 stars Merrell Moab shoes, 21 July 2011
I was very pleased with these shoes. I found them to be a great all-round basic trekking shoe - for hot/cold climates, for modest terrain from hill tracks to mean streets. Decently serrated sole for rough ground; exceptionally comfortable - supportive and nicely cushioned and a good price. Go for the slightly more expensive Gore-tex version if you're buying for wetter ground rambling in countries such as the UK.