5.0 out of 5 stars Great efficient pump
Published on 9 May 2010 by Karen Masters

3.0 out of 5 stars Awkward to use
Unfortunately whilst this product seems to be very effective at actually pumping the milk, it's very awkward to use. The instructions suggest you should position the shields onto your breasts before switching it on and as you need one hand to hold each shield, it's impossible to switch it on or adjust the pumping strength or start the let-down mode whilst it's in use...
Published on 8 Mar 2011 by NewMum2011

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great efficient pump, 9 May 2010
Karen Masters - See all my reviews
This review is from: Medela Pump In Style Advanced Double Electric Breastpump (Baby Product)
Might be pricy, but it'll be worth it as this pump will help keep your supply up if you have to pump for a long time - either because of returning to work, or problems with your baby latching on. I used it to pump for 9 months after returning back to work. A friend pumped with this pump exclusively for over a year (as her baby wouldn't latch on). Much cheaper than a year's worth of formula - and better for baby too. Because you do both sides at once it also saves time. I heartily recommend this pump.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 11 Oct 2010
Hannah - See all my reviews
Advantages:
- Works well - quick and comfortable (in under 20 mins I can get set up, express 2 full bottles and clear up again including washing up the non-bottle parts)
- Neat and well thought through - inconspicuous and easy to carry around
- The coolpack is worth having so you don't need to milk things in the fridge or remember to take it home with you (I express twice in the working day - 4 bottles, 1 cool box)
- The kit is easy to assemble and to use
- Flexible - battery and manual pump options as well as mains electric
- Basically, does everything I want of it so I would recommend it!

Disadvantages / niggles
- You need three hands to hold the bottles and turn it on/off or adjust the suction (alternatively buy an easy expression bra or use the hairbobble trick)
- Buy extra bottles and teats to avoid decanting and washing up the bottles every night
- Have to run the pump 2-3 mins after each use to clear condensation in the tubes
- Heavy when you've got 600ml to carry 600g as well as the pump, freezer pack etc
- Not super quiet (but I haven't compared it to any other electric pump and I don't think you can't hear it from outside a room with closed doors!)
- Not yet sure how durable the non-bottle parts are (breast attachments, membranes, tubes etc) - may need replacing after 6 months but I've not used it that long yet.
- Stupid name - there is NOTHING stylish about expressing.

5.0 out of 5 stars a necessity for a working mum, 7 April 2011
I give this product 5/5 I wish I could give more. Worth every penny. We have been using it for two months now. My wife takes it to work with its insulated box and ice bag. She expresses more than 150ml in under 15 minutes. Very handy and perfect design for out of home usage. Owing to this product our little one is fed entirely on breast milk plus we even donate some to the milk bank. Due to positive reviews from those who have used more than one pumps we initially decided to go for this model. It is very expensive in compare with others but having used it more than 4-5 times a day every day over 2 months, we have never been let down with its performance.
PROs
1-No leakage to the tubing or engines as some people experience with other models
2-Around 75-100 ml/10 minutes (considering you give a gap of 3 hours between expressings or feedings)
3-fits well in philips avent sterilisers (both microwave and electric ones)
4-BPA free all over.
5-Easy to clean.
6-A complete pack from ice pack to insulated storage bag and built in carry bag.
7-Works on both mains or battery (needs 10 AA- never used)
8-One mode for stimulation and another for expression
9-Each mode has a range of suction strength settings
10-Fits all standart neck baby feeding bottles

CONs
none yet.

Tips:(check for the best price deal on internet)

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Pump Ever!!, 9 Feb 2010
I've had this pump for 3 years now. I've recommended it to all new moms. Including my sister-in-law. We are all happy with it.
If you're a new mom and will need to pump (may it be because you have to go back to work or a stay-at-home-mom and need to go out sometimes and leave a bottle of breastmilk for your baby).. this is the pump to get.

5.0 out of 5 stars 100% expressing - this is the only one, 24 July 2011
K. Brassington (South England, UK) - See all my reviews
This is the best product I've used (and I've used a few) for 100% expressing. The cups fit well too - once up to full speed I don't have to sit there holding them on, the suction is enough to keep them on.
I'm into my 9th month of expressing 100% (our baby has a cleft palate and never could breast feed, I am aiming for her to have fresh breast milk for her cleft repair operation at 10 months old for the antibodies and all that, and then I'm stopping!). I know that I could not have done it without the right equipment, and this pump is amazing. I had read awful stories of people unable to produce enough milk etc, and the opposite happened to me. I got up to 1200ml a day before starting to cut back on the number of times a day (I started doing it 7 times as day for 15 mins, now I do 2 or 3 times a day for 10-15 mins). I froze all the spare milk but as it kept coming in the end I gave over 40litres to the SCBU at the John Radcliffe Oxford. (And I still have one freezer full of it!) I have used the pump whilst visiting friends and (memorably) in the queue waiting for a ferry! The battery pack works just as well as on the mains lead, couldn't tell any difference. It is truly a good product.

Things to watch out for:
- The soft cups hurt me a lot, the rubber crinkled and pinched, and they died in cold-water sterilising (got really rough on the inside). But Medela Customer Services are fab and they sent me hard cups which are great. It comes with the soft cups when they send it to you, so watch out for that. I found it best to steam sterilise, they do say it all can be boiled for 5-10 mins or something but this just isn't practical.

- The piping tubes (the soft long plastic ones that attach the machine to the cups) do get mould inside after about 3 months. Medela said to make sure the equipment was really dry before use but this is not possible when 100% expressing (the stuff is always being sterilised and used again too soon) and also some condensation comes from the warmth of the milk so it happens anyway even if the equipment is dry. Medela have sent me free tubes and also we got them from Amazon - the only thing to do is replace them the mould cannot be cleaned out.

- Medela said you only have to sterlise once a day. I couldn't get my head around this. Anyone who has tried to clean the equipment will know there are no cleaning rods or brushes which can get inside the equipment to scrub it, and breast milk is very creamy so the cream residue builds up. I felt there was no true way of knowing that they were properly clean, and therefore sterlising at least meant the bugs were killed off. I replaced the whole suction cup assembly every 3 months. Medela were fab and on on one occasion sent me some ex-demo ones free.

- The motor died completely after 7 months. Luckily we had bought through Amazon, so their excellent customer service plus the great 100% Medela guarrantee on all working motor parts meant that we had a new pump, for free, within 1.5 days of speaking to Amazon (keep a record of your order date and reference number).

Good, good luck. Expressing 100% is probably the hardest, yet best, thing I have achieved in my life, second only to having our daughter. You can do it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A life saver, 17 Mar 2012
Though pricey, this machine is worth every penny. Having initial problems due to both a lazy baby and engorged boobs, the machine meant that I was still able to feed my baby breast milk until everything sorted itself out. The machine leaves you immobile for as long as you are pumping, but as your supply increases, 10 mins will normally suffice. I couldn't recommend it more highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just perfect., 2 July 2011
I found this pump easy and efficient.

I was amazed as to how much milk I was able to express in a short space of time.

It definitely kept me breastfeeding exclusively for the recommended time. My baby 'ballooned' in shiny healthiness :-)

Thank you Medela.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best buy, 12 Jun 2011
Definitely the best pump on the market. Fast and pain free. Very discrete, although slightly noisy in that if you wanted to pump in a bathroom others would hear it. If you don't need a double pump I would recommend the medela swing which is as good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lifesaver!, 9 Jun 2011
I usually dont write reviews. But, in this case, I am compelled to write a review as I would like for other new mums who struggle with breastfeeding to benefit from this.

My baby wouldnt BF from Day 1 and I struggled to keep my supply up with pumping only. The Avent manual pumps were useless. The single pump (Swing) from Medela was time consuming (between pumping, washing, sterilizing and taking care of a newborn). I was at the end of my wits when I discovered this product. It saved my life. My baby eventualy started to BF. But, she is a fussy feeder and I still use this pump to express and store. It is quick and efficient. I especially like the initial 2-minute stiumation part.

The only two complaints are 1) Your hands are not free to adjust when you have to hold the bottles. But, once you get a hang of your settings and what works for you, its not that big a deal. Just takes some getting used to. 2) Sometimes, when I really need to express only one breast, there is an option to seal off the other suction vent that is not being used. But, this doesn't work properly. I have to seal the vent to make sure the one in operation works properly (difficult to explain via email). I have not had the time to call Medela about this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Upgrade, 12 May 2011
Having purchased a Mini Electric Plus when I first had my daughter in Dec 2010, I recently returned to work and needed to upgrade to a better pump. I wish that I had done more research before purchasing the first pump, but I was desperate to find a double pump in my budget that would allow me to pump as my daughter had difficulty latching on as a newborn. I wish I had known that some models are intended for occasional use and others for pumping multiple times per day.

After pumping for the last month at work with my old pump with limited efficiency and now a failing motor, the In Style is a huge upgrade for me. Much more efficient! I am able to pump great amounts in a shorter period of time which is a plus as I am a school teacher and need to pump quickly in between my classes. The entire backpack loaded up with the pump, bottles, cooler, etc. is much heavier than I thought it would be, but certainly not unmanageable. The cooler with the ice pack is wonderful and allows me to pump and keep the milk cool without running to the fridge all day long. A great plus when you are squeezing pumping sessions into an already hectic day!

Overall, a great purchase and I would highly recommend this to anyone!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›