In a complicated world, we can all learn a few things from Forrest Gump! I feel privileged to have watched this film and it made me realise where I have been going wrong in life! There comes a time in a man's life when he needs to take stock of what he has achieved, loved, lost and really focused on what is important in life.

The story of Forrest really puts...
Published 12 months ago by Darcy

2.0 out of 5 stars Not satisfied with bluray
not satisfied with bluray quality. Sound is poor, not "bluray stunning", neither the picture is "stunning". Standard dvd quality. This movie is one of my favorites of all time, unfortunately bluray really disappointed...
Published 17 months ago by Haji M

5.0 out of 5 stars Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. Confucius, 25 Dec 2013
This review is from: Forrest Gump [DVD] [2005] (DVD)

The story of Forrest really puts life into perspective and in this overly, noisy complicated world; we can all take a leaf out of this amazing film. Hanks, who superbly plays Gump, leaves amazing clues on how to be successful in life, even for those of us who are fortunate enough to have an IQ above 75 - Learn to love everyone unconditionally, focus on what you are good at and focus on one aspect of success at a time, i.e. if you are good at running, give all your energy to running and becoming the best in that particular field.

Don't be a dork like me and neglect this film like I have for several years... no matter how down you are at this moment or even if life is treating you well, I believe that Gump will make you see life from a different angle all together. Peace, love and happiness for 2014.

5.0 out of 5 stars Up there with the best, 20 Dec 2007
Amazon Customer (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Forrest Gump [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
'Forrest Gump' (1994) is one of the most heart-warming movies I've seen since in my life. It's a simple story about a man with a low IQ whose love of his life, whom he has known since childhood, alludes him for years. In fact, the beautiful Jenny (Robin Wright) virtually blocks him out of her life, despite Forrest's obvious, never ending affection that he feels for her. Tom Hanks stars the man in question, and he is superb in this demanding and difficult plum role. Forrest might not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but his actions in the film demonstrate that you can do anything in life, incredibly big things, if you just put your mind to it.

I honestly can't criticise this beautiful flick, which fully deserved it's Oscar, in anyway. I love how it is played out, with Forrest talking about various pivotal moments in his life to complete strangers, with the use of flashbacks. Although it works successfully as a comedy, there are some very important life lessons and principles that you can teach younger people. As well as this, the movie does contain some of the best lines and iconic scenes in modern popular movie history. The first is 'Run Forrest Run', and 'Life is like a box of chocolates', the line that is spoken as Forrest says goodbye to his dying mother, played by Sally Field.

A beautiful and simplistic movie that will charm, inspire, and make you think. If you're feeling hopeless at the moment, watch 'Forrest Gump', and I know you'll feel better.

5.0 out of 5 stars We all love it, 22 Aug 2013
This review is from: Forrest Gump [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
Wonderful film a classic .... Teaches us a lot about humanity and makes one feel quite humble ... Tom Hanks amazing as usual

5.0 out of 5 stars Great movie, my partner had never seen it and ..., 23 Aug 2014
M. J. Finch "Mike Finch" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Forrest Gump [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
Great movie, my partner had never seen it and I only had a VHS copy, so got it on DVD last night and watched it after several years for maybe the fifth time. I'd forgotten how much of a truly great movie this is. I found myself comparing Forrest and Jennie to real life, getting exasperated at the way she treats him and still never feeling entirely sure about her motives, then she's quite open with him and I had to keep reminding myself the characters are not real! Still don't know how they worked Forrest into the footage with the Presidents, John Lennon etc, some of the gags are laugh out loud funny and even non humans will have a lump in their throat at the end, but the great thing is, though it's often sad, many of the closest people to Gump die, like his friends Bubba and Jennie as well as his mother and Dan loses his legs, this still manages to be a feel good movie with a positive upbeat tone at the end. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartwarming is as heartwarming does, 22 Feb 2014
This review is from: Forrest Gump [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
Forrest Gump sits on a bench, waiting for a bus. While he waits he begins to tell his life story to a woman sitting next to him. Forrest tells her of his childhood in Alabama, an outsider due to his IQ of 75 and crippled legs. He also tells of his first friend and later the love of his life Jenny. In Forrest’s odd life he becomes a college football star, a Vietnam veteran, a ping pong champion, and a millionaire shrimp boat captain – excelling at them all because of his single mindedness and his devotion to anyone who treats him with a modicum of kindness.

For all it’s a drama, Forrest Gump is a modern fairytale. Once Forrest learns to run he barely stops and he carries the viewer along with him for the two hours we’re watching. The story is told not through the lens of history but through the viewpoint of a man with a low IQ who is probably on the autistic spectrum and that lends events a fantastical sheen. Using what were groundbreaking digital effects at the time, director Robert Zemeckis inserts Forrest into footage of three different US presidents as well as newsreel footage of the first black students being admitted to the University of Alabama and other events. All through this Jenny is the x-factor in his life, whether she’s a physical presence or just the unattainable dream Forrest keeps reaching for.

Tom Hanks plays Forrest almost canine in his simple affection for friends, as well as immediate and often violent responses when those friends are threatened. It would be easy for an actor to over-simplify such a character but Hanks finds the man in there as well and Forrest’s wounds are as apparent as his unflappable decency. Able support is provided by Sally Field as his mother (who’s simple homely wisdom has become a series of mantras Forrest uses to navigate life and its moral minefields) and Gary Sinise as his wartime CO Lieutenant Dan. As Jenny, Robin Wright never seems to find her footing and doesn’t manage to do justice to the film’s most tortured soul. Wright can be very good so it may just be that this part wasn’t right for her but I can’t help feeling that a different actress taking on Jenny might have found herself joining Hanks on the Oscar podium.

Forrest Gump is a somewhat divisive film, not without its detractors despite being the recipient of a number of high profile accolades. Its not surprising really given that the film’s narrative is somewhat unconventional while many have also suggested that the script harbours a reactionary and right-wing agenda. Its certainly possible to see where that perspective comes from, Forrest does what he’s told and achieves great things. Those who rail against the government suffer. Personally I think it’s a shame that people focus too much on that, it doesn’t really become apparent unless you look for it. Leave that aside and we have a very endearing story with a likeable protagonist, clever effects, an absolute belter of a soundtrack, and a great performance from its lead actor. Having watched it in the cinema at its release and then seeing it again now almost 20 years later I remember why I had enjoyed it so much at the time. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT, 29 Aug 2013
This review is from: Forrest Gump [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
Brought as a gift for my Mum! We watched it together at the cinema when I was a kid. We loved it then and we love it now!

4.0 out of 5 stars Forrest Gump, 24 Aug 2013
always wanted this on DVD and this was an excellent price. This is a great film, even if Tom Hanks is in it. My husband loves to recite the Buba Gump shrimp recipes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Life is like a box of chocolates, 23 Aug 2013
Don't you just love this film. You can watch it over and over again. Soooo glad I bought it. Pucker!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good, 22 Aug 2013
Lovely film - makes me cry every time ! Tom Hanks's character is both annoying and loveable but so cleverly played.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great film, 15 Aug 2013
Heather Roberts "welshblodwen" (Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire) - See all my reviews
Never really watched the whole film before but bought it because it was recommended for my daughter's GCSE history course. We both enjoyed it and have watched it again - even though the exams are over!

Forrest Gump [DVD] [2005]
Forrest Gump [DVD] [2005] by Robert Zemeckis (DVD - 2006)