5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect way to enjoy coconut water

Published 20 months ago by bomble

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly adulterated but quite palatable, 27 Jun. 2013
bomble "bomble" (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Vita Coco 100% Natural Coconut Water 330ml (Pack of 12) (Grocery)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I love fresh 'water' from the green 'tender' coconut having eaten it all over the world. I've now tried several products making claims to be as close to a fresh coconut as it is possible to get. I'm not talking about the canned drink found in various forms in asian supermarkets ; a product full of sugar and bearing little relation to a natural coconut; more the products being marketed as naturally isotonic sports hydration and the like.

Vita Coco suffers from having a small percentage of 'fruit sugars' added which seems entirely unnecessary and I believe effects the flavour detrimentally. Otherwise it is a refreshing drink and this package size makes a nice fix. There's no way to seal the pack after you open it so it's an all-or-nothing drink.

Overall it's a pretty good product that would be better if it was 100% coconut and had some means to seal the container between sips.

As for the competition, I prefer both Cocofina 100 Percent Coconut Water 500ml (Pack of 6) (which also won't seal!) and Zico Original Coconut Water 400 ml (Pack of 12) but they all offer similar refreshment with slightly different flavour.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect way to enjoy coconut water, 29 Jun. 2013
Jason Gaston "Uncle Jay" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Coconut water is very much a "Marmite" product, and by that I dont mean its salty and horrible, I mean you will either love it or hate it, Personally I think its the most delicious refreshing drink I have ever had the pleasure to experience and its expensive cost is justified by the fact that its 100% pure and comes from Brazillian coconuts AND is very very good for you because its full of natureal vitimins and minerals and has more potatsium that bananas and has very good rehyrdation qualities so the fact that it is more expensive than some drinks to me personally is jusified. I find the taste to be smooth, not too sweet with a really nice but not overpowering after taste... My girlfriend thinks it tastes like dishwater so there you have it ha ha. This carton is the perfect way to enjoy Coconut waters because of the opening, its a pull back piece of foil that reveals a hole int he top of the carton which when you drink has the perfect air flow so you can enjoy this delicious natural beverage without any glugging or spluttering sounds like you get with some drinks. My only gripe with this is the carton has a quote "like sticking a straw into a coconut" which made me think maybe Im asking too much or maybe Im still a kid at heart but a straw on the side of this carton would be a nice touch, a nice thick straw with a point on to jab into the cartons foil but alas no straw is included. I will end by saying this is by far my favorite beverage at the moment, so smooth, so so refreshing (ice cold) and very very good for you. My girlfriend has admitted she wishes she liked it because of its qualities.
Try it and if you like it you'll love it!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 12 Nov. 2013
I brought this product because I initially wanted a different brand, one that I had brought online but couldn't find in my local Holland and Barrett.
I was recommended this as an alternative and was so disappointed I wanted to warn others not to waste time or money on this product.
It does not taste like nice, young fresh coconut, and I suspect as most do.. we are led to believe something that just isn't quite true, it says that it is 100% but it has added ingredients, while these may be natural ingredients.. why do you have to add them, coconut water is perfect just how it is and if other well known brands can sell a product that is better for you and tastes better then places like Holland and Barrett should be selling these instead and not ripping us off with these such copies.
Word of warning, do not waste your money on this product and make a sensible investment by spending a little more time and a few extra pennies doing some research into the best tasting and better for you products. If we keep excepting this as an alternative it wont give shops motivation to sell what we actually want... I'm using my voice to get what I want.. and it isn't this. feel totally ripped off.. I hope people find this helpful :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 17 Feb. 2013
I usually drink when I got too much acid in my stomach. Its neutralise acidity and very refreshing to drink.

5.0 out of 5 stars Coconut Water, 2 July 2013
J. Morris "Josh" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
There are very good reasons that Vita Coco has appeared in some Z-list celebrity's workout plan over the last few years and if you can look past the fad-image that has resulted you will find a distinctively quenching supplementary drink that serves an important function in your diet.

The problem is that most sports drinks that are designed to hydrate contain a lot of nasty additives and sugar. Step in Vita Coco with it's naturally occurring potassium (the key hydration ingredient here) sourced from, wait for it.... coconuts. The product is "Gluten Free / Dairy Free / Suitable For Vegetarians" and contains less than 16.5g of sugar.

Each serving (330ml) here includes 643mg of potassium (a third of your RDA) - but an ideal dose of hydration after a workout. Vita Coco recommend a couple of these servings a day to supplement your diet. It really is best served cold and doesn't taste great warm at all. It may be worth checking out some of the other flavours available - Peach and Mango as well as Pineapple seem to be the most popular.

Packaging: The smaller 330ml have a simple Tetra-Pak peel off lid but this is not resealable so needs to be finished in one sitting - but this is not a problem as this amount is the ideal serving size. Also with the larger cartons (the one-litre one) the drink loses its freshness very quickly even when refrigerated and can taste sour after a couple of days. Recommended for a refreshing, yet natural drink.

[UPDATE: It should be noted that Vita Coco settled - not even challenged, in court - a $10m lawsuit saying that they had overstated the nutritional and hydrating effect of their product. i.e. the numbers on the label are not to be trusted. Whilst they have done a sterling job of damage control, it is worth bearing this in mind.]

4.0 out of 5 stars La Dolce Vita Coco!, 23 Jun. 2013
Sam Woodward (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When recently browsing the various brands of coconut water in a large supermarket, I noticed that most of them contained added coconut pulp & sugar. Vita Coco lists its ingredients as "natural coconut water, less than 1% fruit sugar, vitamin C". Frankly, I'm not sure whether this means 'less than 1% fruit sugar' has been added or if they just mean that natural coconut water naturally contains fruit sugar & they need to mention this for diabetics, etc. Either way, Vita Coco was more natural than the others on the shelf.

The only other contender is Cocofina which I previously got through Amazon & merely lists its ingredients as '100% coconut water'. However, while Vita Coco comes in different sized environmentally-friendly Tetra Paks, Cocofina comes in cartons, cans & plastic bottles. Perhaps some coconut connoisseurs can tell the difference between coconut water from Brazil (Vita Coco) or Thailand (Cocofina) but aside from that, the only real difference is price & packaging. It's worth noting that Vita Coco's Tetra Paks have a longer shelf-life (roughly a year) than Cocofina's plastic bottles (just a few months).

With coconut water, the strength of the flavour can vary depending on when its extracted. Initially I thought that this would be quite a subtle difference but upon drinking, found that the difference is very distinct. Personally, I prefer coconut water when it's quite weak (I have become used to the flavour but still wouldn't go so far as to say that I like it) but like that I don't know how strong it's going to be from carton to carton as it gives some variety. A bit like drinking tea made by other people, I suppose. Besides, personally I can overlook the taste because of its many health benefits - as well as containing vitamins & electrolytes, coconut water is naturally isotonic with about a fifth of the sugar of fruit juices, the absorption of which is also limited by the fibre it contains. It also contains more potassium than bananas. This all adds up to make it a much more healthy alternative to sugar-packed isotonic sports drinks.

If you're looking for coconut water, Vita Coco is more natural than most of its competitors, with a longer shelf-life. This or Cocofina are the only brands I'd consider.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tastes, err, nutty..., 29 Jun. 2013
AyJay (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I first came across Vita Coco coconut water in Florida and found it a great alternative to drinking plain old water, for both taste and how hydrated and refreshed I felt afterward. When I came back home I kept an eye open for any shops that sell it, only to be shocked at the cost over here.

So, once again, yay for Amazon - not only does it cost less then the RRP, but the bottles are delivered straight to my door, so I don't have to lug the weighty packs home from a shop on the bus...

***

I do happen to really like the taste of coconut water, but even if you're less keen I'd still recommend Vita Coco; if you want a boost for a beach holiday, or if you have a wedding, prom or other special occasion coming up I'd recommend swapping caffeinated and fizzy drinks for Vita Coco to increase your confidence in showing off your figure, as I've found that coconut water helps reduce water retention and resulting bloat, as well as removing the urge to snack between meals. The other positive result I saw was my skin looking perkier and clearer; not exactly to J.Lo standards, but it was an improvement.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Taste That Grows On You, 24 Jun. 2013
Angela Lovelace "Angela" (Essex) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I had never tried Coconut Water previous to trying this and my first impression was not favourable, it essentially tasted of coconut (which I love) but had a very strange almost salty/sweet taste too. I did not like it...but...I finished the carton, as I thought I would perservere. I think the fault was not trying it chilled, so I decided to give it another chance and put some of the cartons in the fridge.

Chilled, it was so much better. I did a hard work out on my exercise bike this morning, and it was great for rehydrating me and was so much nicer than drinking plain water and I felt rehydrated too. It seems it is a recommended hangover drink as well. I can't say for sure as I don't drink.

A 330ml carton at 18 calories per 100ml is not bad at all. It claims to have more potassium than a banana on the packet and is fat and cholesterol free. It is an acquired taste, so it might be better if you find somewhere to try a singular carton rather than shelling out over £18 as it is currently priced on here before buying the bumper pack.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best drunk very cold, 14 Aug. 2013
Doha (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Vita Coco is suddenly the new trend in drinks, which I find weird, but it is for good reason: coconut water is really good for you. It's slightly saline and therefore a perfect rehydrating solution, particularly if it's hot and you're sweating a lot, or if you're having any dysentery issues. It comes in a carton with a pull-back foil tab (no straws necessary).

These are tapped from Brazilian coconuts, and this particular batch didn't taste as good to me as Cocofina 100 Percent Coconut Water 500ml (Pack of 6) (which are from Thai coconuts), but I don't know if that is just natural variation, considering the 500ml Vita Coco tasted better than this (330ml). The prices of them all have shot up, though, which makes me cry a little when I think of how in my mother country, I can just eat these off the tree (sob!).

(When I compare tastes, I'm comparing between the fresh and the bottled/boxed, rather than between brands.)

5.0 out of 5 stars YES! Finally Available In The UK!!!!, 16 April 2012
Being a HUGE fan of Vita Coco I was absolutely dismayed when I moved to the UK from San Francisco last year and was only able to find Vita Coco in expensive health stores. I managed by purchasing other tetra-pak (i.e. quality) coconut waters from Amazon but nothing tastes quite like the original! I find Vita Coco to be the BEST TASTING coconut water out there and am THRILLED to finally have a convenient way of purchasing it. Its super convenient that Vita Coco makes multiple sizes and I bought one of each so I have the right package for any occasion. Thanks Amazon!!!