5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, well made and effective!
Published on 26 Oct. 2010 by B. Green

1.0 out of 5 stars Not fit for purpose
Be careful with this product. You buy one of these and store it hoping never to have the need to use it. I did just this but unfortunately had to use it to lift a street stopcock hatch to turn off the mains water. The T-section broke off in my hand rendering the key useless. Giving it the benefit of the doubt, maybe it was just the weld on mine that was lousy!! Beware
Published on 18 Feb. 2013 by Fergie

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, well made and effective!, 26 Oct. 2010
B. Green (Mid Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silverline MS135 Combination Stopcock Key 1000mm (Tools & Hardware)
In my house the internal stop-tap is located such that we have to shift the washing machine to get at it! Not helpful! So I bought this device to turn off the main stop-tape out on the pavement. To my certain knowledge this hadn't been turned off for about twenty years but this key did the job quickly and easily. I did have some reservations when ordering because the price was very low - was I paying for something that was poorly made with weak welds? But NO! it is extremely well made and an absolute bargain!

5.0 out of 5 stars Right Tool for the job, 14 Oct. 2011
Great product

I will echo what has been written in the previous reviews:-

Cheap
Lifetime guarantee
Arrived quickly
Well packed

My house stopcock needed replacing, so I had to stop the flow of water from the street.

In which I removed approximately 800mm of mud to see a very rusty looking stopcock. Living in my home for over 21 years and I guess this stopcock has not been close past that too. I was a bit doubtful a product for £5.99 will do the job.

But handled the job with ease, I would like to say it was my brut strength, but unfortunately not.

A great tool for the job.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked very well., 31 Mar. 2013
An amazing product. Lightweight, maybe a bit too flexible but sufficiently robust to do the job its designed for and all for a great price. What more could I have asked for. My outdoor stopcock had not been turned for years but after a spray of WD40 onto the tap/valve, this too opened and closed it effortlessly.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not fit for purpose, 18 Feb. 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy Tool, 18 April 2013
We have a stop cock in our kitchen which has seized up, and the last plumber who came had to use one of these outside, the mains system in the front, and so advised us to have one in case we ever need to turn the water off. Have not had to use it yet, thank goodness, but feel happier now we have this in the house.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not up to the job, 8 Jun. 2013
I got the water board engineer to come and clean out the stop cock chamber, and demonstrate how the stop cock works. His key easily turned the stop cock, but this product was not robust enough. The material is too thin, and it flexed when trying to turn the stop cock; and the handle is too short, so there is not enough leverage. Compared to the engineer's standard key it looks quite flimsy ( and he had an even stronger and bigger key in case the stop cock was hard to turn). Sorry, not fit for the task.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect For The Job, 30 Aug. 2011
As described in the ad and fit for purpose - ie for a householder needing to turn off a below-ground stopcock. Reasonably robust and should cope with a valve which hasn't been turned on/off for years. Whether it would deal with a a valve which is totally seized I cannot be sure - but hey this is a very competitively priced - nearly 75% less than a similar one in B&Q. I was very pleased with this product and impressed by the speedy delivery time and manner in which it had been carefully packaged.

3.0 out of 5 stars Solidly made, but doesn't fit my stopcock, 29 Nov. 2012
Martin Healey - See all my reviews
The stopcock associated with my water meter is like a ceramic tap - it only needs a very small turn to go from on to off. Unfortunately it's not easy to reach, and I hoped this Stop Cock Key would do the job. It's not the right shape to fit the tap. The Stop Cock is fine in itself - well made, solid, reliable-feeling - but it doesn't do the job for me. I think the product description could make it clearer what kinds of Cocks/Taps it works for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works find on my type of stopcock., 2 Oct. 2014
RJP the Book Boy "Book boy" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Hope I never need it but it works if I do !

My neighbour had a leak and needed to turn off his mains into the house due to a leak. Here was the problem, neither of us could reach down far enough to turn the tap under the little manhole cover. Water was pouring everywhere and in the end we had to join two Mole grips together in order to get the reach as our arms were too wide to get down the hole to the tap. In the end we turned it off but one of these would have been amazing to have around at the time. A job that took over and hour would have taken seconds. I then looked at my off the road stop cock only to find it was even further down in the hole than my neighbours so I decided to get this combination stop cock key to hang in the garage just in case I needed to isolate the mains.

I tried it when it arrived and it worked fine on my stopcock. It is long enough to reach down and seems well made for the money. I have spayed it with oil and hung it in my garage hoping I won't ever have to use it in anger but it's there just in case of an emergency !

5.0 out of 5 stars light, well made and does the job, 25 July 2013
Mrs. J. Cook "A Cook" (England) - See all my reviews
Stop cocks! Under the kitchen units and too stiff to move. This strong, light alloy key will sit under the kitchen unit until I need it. It's quite long but that doesn't stop you from hooking it onto the stop tap and giving it a turn. The tap moves a lot easier when your not at full stretch under the kitchen unit, - trying to turn a stubborn tap with the ends of two fingers. We had a slight flood after an electrician dislodged some plumbing and we didn't know until the wood flooring started bubbling up two days later (couldn't prove it). It was then you realise you need to turn the stop cock off by lying on the wet floor. This key is an insurance policy and I hope I'll never need it. My Wife and Mum couldn't turn the tap off if they were on their own so it's a good thing to have and for that reason I got one for my Dad too who had the same worry. I should have bought it for him at Xmas. Better than socks.

Silverline MS135 Combination Stopcock Key 1000mm