4.0 out of 5 stars Wide grip needed
Good pliers, do what they say they do but a wide grip needed or big hands to get hold of them with one hand, so pick them up first before picking up glass or tile you want to cut as difficult to grasp initially with one hand, would recommend them.
Published on 14 July 2011 by Niki B

2.0 out of 5 stars Having a hard time of it
I recently bought these tile nippers in a bid to get into making some mosaics for my garden from donated tile. They were the first item that came up in a search for tile nippers and they had decent reviews, so I purchased them on the strength of that.

Published on 28 May 2011 by Shera Dreaming

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Having a hard time of it, 28 May 2011
This review is from: Silverline 786548 Tile Nippers 210mm (DIY & Tools)

I had not used tile nippers before, and perhaps I did not choose the appropriate type for the tile I had--somewhat thicker ceramic tile. However there is no indication as to what these can easily handle. Well, having practiced with them I can tell you that as a twentysomething woman with pretty good hand strength, I can nip the corners off old wall tiles if I use two hands and press with all my might, but I certainly can't nip with one hand while keeping hold of the tile with the other hand. The result of this is that with each successful break, the smaller bit goes flying off to ricochet around the room--not very efficient or safe! Nor can I break a tile in the center or anywhere other than at the edge. The leverage is just not great enough, and the process of nipping the corners takes so much force that there is no room for any dexterity to cut out a particular design, say a petal for a flower or anything like that, without spending all day at it. Given the lousy results, you might as well use a hammer and/or the more traditional hardie (a kind of pointed anvil for breaking tiles) and just give up on forming anything but shards from your tile (which is a legitimate material for mosaics, anyway). I did try nipping a thinner fired clay bowl and I managed to do a bit better there, but still there is very little control possible.

I have looked at several books and websites and the conclusion I must come to is that these nippers are probably reasonable for the very thin or "soft" types of tile (4mm), but for the 10mm thicknesses and other, harder materials there are much better tools! Before spending money on these, consider looking into nippers with sharp metal wheels on the end (glass tile cutters), porcelain nippers, or stone nippers. I'm led to understand that each is a separate type made for progressively harder surfaces, and they ought to do the job.

In any case, these nippers being reviewed here will not allow you any kind of finesse when cutting, and that is IF you can get them through the tile at all--if you are an unpracticed hand, best to look elsewhere.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wide grip needed, 14 July 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what was needed for the job, 28 Jun. 2009
This review is from: Silverline 786548 Tile Nippers 210mm (DIY & Tools)
I bought these tile nippers to enable my students to make some mosaics for an Art project I had planned. Of course I made sure that anyone using them (including me) wore protective goggles. After showing them how to use the nippers to get the shapes they might need, once they had some practise, they were able to produce some colourful and creative work. The tile nippers are not too heavy to handle and hard wearing (so far), it must be the tungsten. A good buy for some mosaic magic!

5.0 out of 5 stars nibble nibble, 10 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Silverline 786548 Tile Nippers 210mm (DIY & Tools)
These have an off-set head, which makes for intricate tile nibbling, to get exact fit. Easy to use, comfort grip handles. A good tool for the job.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok for pre scored tiles, 26 July 2013
This review is from: Silverline 786548 Tile Nippers 210mm (DIY & Tools)
I use this for mosaic work, not general tiling. I bought 2 and I'm glad I did. This one is great for the small vitrex tiles which can be cut in half or quarters and are pre scored. But in terms of using them for the large ceramic tiles i bought, they aren't really any good. I use the wheeled cutters for those. If I had to get a pair of nippers for mosaic work again I'd choose the wheeled ones over these as they allow more flexibility on what you are cutting and at what angle etc...

5.0 out of 5 stars Silverline 786548 Tile Clippers, 4 April 2014
Mr. Derek Hull "Hobby guy" (North Shields, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silverline 786548 Tile Nippers 210mm (DIY & Tools)
Very effective tool to work with circle tile cutter. Has given good and sharp cuts.
Very well worth the money.

2.0 out of 5 stars a bit crudely made, 11 April 2014
This review is from: Silverline 786548 Tile Nippers 210mm (DIY & Tools)
Not the most elegant of tool and pretty crude in design and finiudh but in fairness it nibbled tiles without a problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great item, 27 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Silverline 786548 Tile Nippers 210mm (DIY & Tools)
Bought this item to help extend holes cut in wall tiles.

Expected to break a few tiles trying to do this, but didn't break one! Doubt it was to do with my expert technique, more likely the quality of this item.

Best to nip small bits at a time tho, as it requires a bit of force to nip larger chunks.

Definitely recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Strong Tile Nippers, 7 May 2014
This review is from: Silverline 786548 Tile Nippers 210mm (DIY & Tools)
I am working with thick and strong tiles and these Nippers are doing the job. If you are like me and you do not do this sort of work regularly beware. Regular use can cause finger blisters, so protect your "nipping hand" fingers

4.0 out of 5 stars It's ok - for the price, 25 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Silverline 786548 Tile Nippers 210mm (DIY & Tools)
I bought this to do a very small tiling job at home - didn't want to pay someone for it. This tool was handy and I think I will find other uses for it - ones that it probably wasn't designed for.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›