5.0 out of 5 stars Who could ask for anything more?
This isn't a fashion item at all, and it doesn't pretend to be. But it is a sensible practical tool ideal for everyday use. I needed a watch with the unambiguity of a digital readout but the clarity of a good analog display, and this one was the closest I could find which is why I chose it. Combis are no good to me, the digital display is far too small.

There's...
Published on 11 July 2008 by Danny Robinson

2.0 out of 5 stars Watch out for the resin strap
Published on 17 Dec. 2009 by C. Rodgers

5.0 out of 5 stars Who could ask for anything more?, 11 July 2008
This review is from: Casio W-96H-1AVES Mens Resin Digital Watch (Watch)

There's nothing to dislike about this watch. It's light and unobtrusive to wear, with a clear display that has all the essential information on one screen. It keeps excellent time, mine gains only a second a week. And it's easy to reset to the exact time when you want. It is comfortable to wear and the buttons are well placed. I find I don't accidentally push them with my arm and hand movements during normal wear -- this has been a problem with other watches I have had.

The 10 year battery life means that the battery should never need replacing -- my view is that it is usually safer and more economic just to replace the watch at that point. The strap will probably be the Achilles Heel -- why can't Casio get these right when it does everything else so well?

Buy one of these and you'll have paid less than £15 for a watch with no gimmicks and which does everything well. Who could ask for anything more?

5.0 out of 5 stars WHAT ELSE CAN YOU ASK FOR, 29 Jan. 2008
B. J. Reed "B J R" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Casio W-96H-1AVES Mens Resin Digital Watch (Watch)
This is not, and can not ever be, an Omega or a Briteling etc. However it is an accurate and practical time piece.

I bought this watch for work. It was cheap and I really wanted the day and date displayed on the main screen so a quick glance of the watch enabled me to fill in paperwork accurately.

I also wanted something that was disposable in the event of damage (hence no Briteling) and waterproof for showering and swimming.

My first watch lasted me about 4 years before the strap gave way. That was 4 years of daily wear and quite a lot of abuse. I immediately replaced it with the same model. The strap is lasting well this time but I have destroyed the face with paint and scratches.

As I say. Not a valuable dress watch but a very useful and practical daily timepiece.

Certainly worth a tenner!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent buy, 1 April 2008
This review is from: Casio W-96H-1AVES Mens Resin Digital Watch (Watch)
Excellent watch and reliable. Good buy for work. I bought it as it displays date and day in easily readable size fonts.

Only downside is strap. i had to replace it once an year. I have used it in very rough manner and no problem with the machine though,very durable.
Strap replacement will cost more than the watch in the uk.

Will definitely buy again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Everyday Watch, 25 April 2013
Antoine Camilleri (Malta) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Casio W-96H-1AVES Mens Resin Digital Watch (Watch)
I lately found it was getting ever so difficult to read without using glasses. This is part and parcel with getting old and wise :)
If I need to read the paper or a book I would put reading glasses on, yet it is hardly a solution when I need to glance at my wristwatch while walking through some busy street.

Hence I decided to get a cheap watch with a large display and I simply love it. The big plus points are the large digital display and super lightweight at just 31 grams. With most other watches one needs to press buttons to see date, day etc.. (or have a tiny window displaying day). Not with this watch. A quick glance at the generously sized LCD screen reveals a large and crisp time display plus day of the week and date including month and year. The only times you would need to press any button would be to access the Chronograph, Dual time, alarm and backlight.

Many reviewers point out that the strap does not last for longer than 3 years, yet at this price I would not mind buying the same watch in 3 years time. In fact I bought a couple of these watches just in case. The strap costs nearly as much as the watch!

I find that the design is stylish enough to use even when going out, however this is my personal taste.

Given the price I cannot fault this Casio watch.

I would recommend this watch to anyone needing a lightweight watch sporting a large display and ease of use.
Highly recommended.

Given the price I cannot fault this Casio watch.

Highly recommended.

2.0 out of 5 stars Watch out for the resin strap, 17 Dec. 2009
C. Rodgers - See all my reviews
This review is from: Casio W-96H-1AVES Mens Resin Digital Watch (Watch)
The watch works fine, and does what I want, but the strap doesn't last more than three years. A replacement strap costs almost as much as the watch, so I bought a second watch hoping that it was a quirk, and I had mistreated it somehow, but the second one did just the same. It is not much use having a 10 year battery if you only have a two or three year strap, and you can't replace it with something better.

2.0 out of 5 stars the plastic strap lasted 2 and a half years, useless, 25 Jan. 2010
G. Mazhikov ((London, England)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Casio W-96H-1AVES Mens Resin Digital Watch (Watch)
as in many previous reviews, the only downside of this to me is the strap.
The watch itself is good, the digits are large and it has all the useful stuff on one display without pressing any buttons - time, day, date.
The strap lasted 2.5 years and the replacement is almost as expensive as the watch itself. I won't be getting a replacement but buying a different watch which has a cheaply replaceable leather strap.

4.0 out of 5 stars Casio digital watch W-86H, 14 Oct. 2010
Amazon Customer (Bristol United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Casio W-96H-1AVES Mens Resin Digital Watch (Watch)
Like most of the other reviewers, I think this is a brilliant, reasonably priced, everyday timepiece. I particularly like being able to use it as a stopwatch for training in the swimming pool. I've had three of these watches so far and, like other reviewers, find it is let down by the short life of the strap. I have also replaced the watch whenever the face has become too scratched to be tolerable anymore. However, I have recently discovered that I can polish out scratches in the perspex face cover using Kuhn Rikon stainless steel kitchenware polish (get it from John Lewis or kitchenware shops). I think the polish has a very fine grade abrasive in it, a bit like jewellers rouge. Also Casio will supply replacement watch straps for a cost (inc P+P) which is about 60% of the price of a new watch. But it's such a pity they cannot sell it with a more durable strap in the first place!

2.0 out of 5 stars As my eyesight is now not as good as it used to be, 12 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Casio W-96H-1AVES Mens Resin Digital Watch (Watch)
I've been using Casio watches ever since the first digital models came onto the market - and that's a long, long time ago! As my eyesight is now not as good as it used to be, I needed to replace my old but still perfectly usable model with something rather easier to read. The W-96H appeared to offer just what I wanted so I ordered one.
When it arrived it seemed to be just what I needed. However, on checking it out I found the alarm function was completely useless - the beeper was so faint I could hardly hear it at all even with the watch pressed against my ear and my hearing aid turned up full blast, which should have nearly blown my head off!!
I returned the watch and received a replacement only to find the new one was exactly the same. Just to make sure they hadn't maybe sent the original one back by mistake or something like that, I paid a visit to my local Argos store to have a look at the ones they'd got there (of the same model). But these turned out to be just the same - and confirmed by their staff, so it's definitely not my hearing aid that's up the creek!
So - I've returned the second one for refund and I'm intending to toddle down to Argos and get myself a Timex.

2.0 out of 5 stars Casio W96H 1AVEF digital watch review, 8 Jan. 2010
Brian Donaldson "BD" (GB NI) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Casio W-96H-1AVES Mens Resin Digital Watch (Watch)
Not as good as a previous version of this watch - for 3 reasons.
The "tinted" glass/plastic lens makes the display much darker.
This watch is much fatter.
And displaying the year is completely unnecessary.
The Casio A164WA-1QVEF with stainless steel strap might fit the bill if all you are looking for is a watch for work that displays time, day and date.

3.0 out of 5 stars Dark display, 11 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Casio W-96H-1AVES Mens Resin Digital Watch (Watch)
I was kindly given this watch from a male friend after complaining that as I got older and my eyesight was not as good I needed digits that were bigger than my old Casio watch, with which I could not tell the time unless I put reading glasses on (causing difficulty when out and about). Unfortunately although the digits on this one are a bit larger, the display is so dark I still have difficulty reading the time! The contrast needs to be improved for clarity. The only answer is to get yet another watch, with better contrast and bigger numbers. Apart from that it seems to be a good watch. Although rather large and chunky for a lady to wear it would be great for a man with better eyesight than I have. Must admit though like another reviewer I don't like reading the date backwards. Who on earth reads the date in this order: YEAR, MONTH, DAY? It annoys me every time I see it. But that is only a small point against a good solid watch with all the required functions.

Casio W-96H-1AVES Mens Resin Digital Watch