5.0 out of 5 stars Who could ask for anything more?
This isn't a fashion item at all, and it doesn't pretend to be. But it is a sensible practical tool ideal for everyday use. I needed a watch with the unambiguity of a digital readout but the clarity of a good analog display, and this one was the closest I could find which is why I chose it. Combis are no good to me, the digital display is far too small.

There's...
Published on 11 July 2008 by Danny Robinson

2.0 out of 5 stars Watch out for the resin strap
Published on 17 Dec 2009 by C. Rodgers

5.0 out of 5 stars Who could ask for anything more?, 11 July 2008
This review is from: Casio W-96H-1AVES Mens Resin Digital Watch (Watch)

There's nothing to dislike about this watch. It's light and unobtrusive to wear, with a clear display that has all the essential information on one screen. It keeps excellent time, mine gains only a second a week. And it's easy to reset to the exact time when you want. It is comfortable to wear and the buttons are well placed. I find I don't accidentally push them with my arm and hand movements during normal wear -- this has been a problem with other watches I have had.

The 10 year battery life means that the battery should never need replacing -- my view is that it is usually safer and more economic just to replace the watch at that point. The strap will probably be the Achilles Heel -- why can't Casio get these right when it does everything else so well?

Buy one of these and you'll have paid less than £15 for a watch with no gimmicks and which does everything well. Who could ask for anything more?

5.0 out of 5 stars WHAT ELSE CAN YOU ASK FOR, 29 Jan 2008
B. J. Reed "B J R" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Casio W-96H-1AVES Mens Resin Digital Watch (Watch)
This is not, and can not ever be, an Omega or a Briteling etc. However it is an accurate and practical time piece.

I bought this watch for work. It was cheap and I really wanted the day and date displayed on the main screen so a quick glance of the watch enabled me to fill in paperwork accurately.

I also wanted something that was disposable in the event of damage (hence no Briteling) and waterproof for showering and swimming.

My first watch lasted me about 4 years before the strap gave way. That was 4 years of daily wear and quite a lot of abuse. I immediately replaced it with the same model. The strap is lasting well this time but I have destroyed the face with paint and scratches.

As I say. Not a valuable dress watch but a very useful and practical daily timepiece.

Certainly worth a tenner!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent buy, 1 April 2008
This review is from: Casio W-96H-1AVES Mens Resin Digital Watch (Watch)
Excellent watch and reliable. Good buy for work. I bought it as it displays date and day in easily readable size fonts.

Only downside is strap. i had to replace it once an year. I have used it in very rough manner and no problem with the machine though,very durable.
Strap replacement will cost more than the watch in the uk.

Will definitely buy again.

2.0 out of 5 stars Watch out for the resin strap, 17 Dec 2009
C. Rodgers - See all my reviews
This review is from: Casio W-96H-1AVES Mens Resin Digital Watch (Watch)
The watch works fine, and does what I want, but the strap doesn't last more than three years. A replacement strap costs almost as much as the watch, so I bought a second watch hoping that it was a quirk, and I had mistreated it somehow, but the second one did just the same. It is not much use having a 10 year battery if you only have a two or three year strap, and you can't replace it with something better.

2.0 out of 5 stars Casio W96H 1AVEF digital watch review, 8 Jan 2010
Brian Donaldson "BD" (GB NI) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Casio W-96H-1AVES Mens Resin Digital Watch (Watch)
Not as good as a previous version of this watch - for 3 reasons.
The "tinted" glass/plastic lens makes the display much darker.
This watch is much fatter.
And displaying the year is completely unnecessary.
The Casio A164WA-1QVEF with stainless steel strap might fit the bill if all you are looking for is a watch for work that displays time, day and date.

4.0 out of 5 stars Casio digital watch W-86H, 14 Oct 2010
Amazon Customer (Bristol United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Casio W-96H-1AVES Mens Resin Digital Watch (Watch)
Like most of the other reviewers, I think this is a brilliant, reasonably priced, everyday timepiece. I particularly like being able to use it as a stopwatch for training in the swimming pool. I've had three of these watches so far and, like other reviewers, find it is let down by the short life of the strap. I have also replaced the watch whenever the face has become too scratched to be tolerable anymore. However, I have recently discovered that I can polish out scratches in the perspex face cover using Kuhn Rikon stainless steel kitchenware polish (get it from John Lewis or kitchenware shops). I think the polish has a very fine grade abrasive in it, a bit like jewellers rouge. Also Casio will supply replacement watch straps for a cost (inc P+P) which is about 60% of the price of a new watch. But it's such a pity they cannot sell it with a more durable strap in the first place!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not just for the guys!, 15 Nov 2009
Amazon Customer (St Just, Cornwall UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Casio W-96H-1AVES Mens Resin Digital Watch (Watch)
Would get 5 stars if it had a decent strap!! Come on Casio - I've followed you faithfully for many years. Good sensible watch, rubbish strap.

When my third much-loved ladies' purple Illuminator stopped working I needed a watch quickly. I prefer one showing time, including seconds, day and date, especially now I have retired. This one was mega big for a small female. But I was tempted by the large, clear, easy-to-see lay-out. It even has the year, which must be rare, but delightful, since the years fly past as you grow older!

I no longer care whether people would think I'm silly having this watch. I have been very pleased with it, though I have sometimes found it difficult to get a response from the function buttons. It is now scratched, and fading round the edges, but has been so reliable & I wear it all the time, day and night - at least I did, till the strap broke this week. Pathetic! What is the point of a 10-year battery if the watch has to be discarded within a couple of years because you can't get a new strap?

Why can't Casio make a similar one specifically for the ladies? On the whole we can only get mega-priced Baby G, ugly sports, or blinging analog. Still, I've now managed to resurrect my purple Illuminator. But I may well get another Casio W-96H-1AVEF at some point. Well worth considering if you just want a good watch with all the everyday bells and whistles you might need.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great everyday watch, 25 April 2013
A. Camilleri - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Casio W-96H-1AVES Mens Resin Digital Watch (Watch)
Having numerous watches which cost quite a considerable amount, I find it overkill to use them indoors or in the garage. Sometimes I would find scuff marks which is quite irritating an a costly watch.

Hence I decided to get a cheap watch with a large display, and I simply love it. The big plus points are the large digital display and super lightweight at just 31 grams. With most other watches one needs to press buttons to see date, day etc.. (or have a tiny window displaying day). Not with this watch. A quick glance at the generously sized LCD screen reveals a large and crisp time display plus day of the week and date including month and year. The only times you would need to press any button would be to access the Chronograph, Dual time, alarm and backlight.

Many reviewers point out that the strap does not last for longer than 3 years, yet at this price I would not mind buying the same watch in 3 years time. In fact I bought a couple of these watches just in case. The strap costs nearly as much as the watch!

I find that the design is stylish enough to use even when going out, however this is my personal taste.

Given the price I cannot fault this Casio watch.

I would recommend this watch to anyone needing a lightweight watch sporting a large display and ease of use. Highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use / not very water resistant, 24 Oct 2013
P. G. Tosiani "paolo tosiani" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Casio W-96H-1AVES Mens Resin Digital Watch (Watch)
This watch is very simple to sue, has all the basic functionality one need for the day to day.

It's a shame that after a small rain on my bicycle some moisture got trapped inside the watch and it has been there for 4 days now.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Watch and a Half, 18 Jun 2013
Chidi Oko (London, England UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Casio W-96H-1AVES Mens Resin Digital Watch (Watch)
I've had this watch for about 4 months now and I'm VERY impressed by it. It looks good, it's durable, it's everything I want in an everyday watch. I would happily recommend this to anyone looking to get a watch for their everyday needs.

Casio W-96H-1AVES Mens Resin Digital Watch