4.0 out of 5 stars Top stuff
This game is a very good conversion of the xbox 360 version. Its fun and very addictive, with loads of games modes. I have a AMD 3200 with 1Gb of ram and a ATI X800 and it runs like a dream at 1024x768 with all settings at full, and looks fantastic. Well worth the money
Published on 23 July 2007 by D. S. Keeling

1.0 out of 5 stars Unplayable - Disgustingly Incompetent PC Import
Published on 14 Jun. 2007 by Sierra Erdinger

4.0 out of 5 stars Top stuff, 23 July 2007
D. S. Keeling - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Top Spin 2 (PC CD) (Video Game)

1.0 out of 5 stars Unplayable - Disgustingly Incompetent PC Import, 14 Jun. 2007
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Top Spin 2 (PC CD) (Video Game)
To put what I'm about to say in perspective, let me make clear that I play games, and attempted to play Top Spin 2, on a decent computer. It's not the greatest machine out there, but its 2.2 GHz equivalent AMD Athlon (and Athlon processors are usually more efficient at gaming anyway) with a gigabyte of RAM and good graphics card so its pretty powerful. Indeed I've never had any trouble playing a game before with it. All the specs meet at least the minimum requirements stated for Top Spin 2.

But the simple fact is that this game is unplayable on my computer, and, I believe, any other PC except the most expensive machines just coming out on the market. I initially tried playing Top Spin 2 on its maximum resolution (though even then with all the extra graphics settings turned off) and my processor overheated from the lag causing the computer to turn itself automatically. Suitably humbled I then went through both other levels of resolution, 800x600 and 640x400. These, first of all, made the game look dreadful, but secondly hardly helped performance at all. The lag is so extensive it even slows down the game menus, and in a practice session or match, it either just slows the whole game to a crawl, or allows you to play in 20 second good patches, before seizing up play for a seemingly arbitrary amount of time before relaunching for another 20 seconds or so. The game is simply unplayable.

This is odd because there is nothing particularly complex Top Spin 2 seems to be doing. On lower resolutions the graphics are extremelly ordinary, and shadows and special effects are all turned off, so you'd think the only think the processor should be working on is tracking and controlling the players movement and the balls and running the AI. The gameplay is simply not complex enough to have much more to do. Yet somehow the designers of Top Spin 2 have written the software so apallingly that anything but the highest-end computer is overwhelmed with...well...something. I honestly have no idea where all the vast processing and graphics power and RAM is going but Top Spin manages to soak it up uselessly somehow while still being impossible to enjoy.

And its a shame because, from what I can see, the actual design of the game itself is fairly good. It all looks very encouraging and interesting, the control system is solid (unlike other reviewers elsewhere I don't think the game requires a gamepad, although it probably helps) and the career mode, the game's focus, is well designed. But get into a match, or even a practice session, and, well, as I've said, you just can't play. I don't want to make this a total destruction of Top Spin 2, the actual ideas are all there, and if it worked it would probably make a great game. It just, very unfortunately, doesn't.

I assume this is due to the game being imported from the XBOX, but that merely demonstrates that the import has been constructed with a disgusting level of incompetence. Maybe consider buying this game on a console, but stay away, at all costs, of buying it for the PC unless you have spent £2000+ on the computer you'll need to run it.

Top Spin 2 (PC CD)
Top Spin 2 (PC CD) by Aspyr (Windows XP)
Used & New from: £5.99