5.0 out of 5 stars A Lot of Watch for the Money
Published on 20 Mar. 2009 by Gusta

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what it says on the tin...
Two colleagues have Lorus watches with luminous dials, both are delighted and highly recommended them. I ordered one for work as the luminous dial would make it ideal in my line of work and it appeared robust and a decent price. Nigel Pearce & sons Jewellers from Jersey sent me the watch which arrived in good time. The paperwork said that having been boxed, the watch...
Published on 5 April 2013 by Mr Mark Taylor

5.0 out of 5 stars A Lot of Watch for the Money, 20 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Lorus Gents Sports Watch RXD425L8 (Watch)
I bought one of these watches around a month ago and have been wearing it on a daily basis. The quality of finish of the watch casing, crystal and visible parts is amazing given the price. The face is very clear, the hands are nicely finished with a good degree of luminosity (although this is lost relatively quickly once out of daylight) and the crystal is mineral-glass so very resistant to scratching. The titanium casing is very lightweight and has a brushed, matte finish to make it less prone to scratching. Mine has a couple of very minor marks in this finish after a month of wear, but I would expect this of any metal-cased watch.

The accuracy of the watch is excellent - Lorus claim a very modest 20 seconds/month but the watch I have received is accurate to around 2.5s per month.

The only weak point in the overall package is the strap. The provided strap is a nylon, 'military' style effort. It is reasonably comfortable and has stainless fittings and a leather reinforcer around the holes. However, the nylon webbing used is of a very low quality, in a very coarse weave and quickly frays, picks up fluff from clothing and generally looks tatty. I junked the supplied band and fitted a brown leather, military one with stainless keepers and buckle from a German supplier which makes the watch look like a £100 item rather than a £10 item!

I've given the watch 5 stars despite the cheap strap as I think that given the quality of the actual watch itself it still represents remarkable value for money, even if you do have to spend some extra cash on a decent strap.

<edit> A couple of months down the line, and I would maintain everything in the above review section - the only other point worth mentioning is the loudness of the tick - this watch is the loudest ticker I've heard, for example it can be heard during silent sections of films in the cinema. In day-to-day use, however, this is not an issue. The finish is standing up well to day-to-day use.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lorus Sports, 21 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Lorus Gents Sports Watch RXD425L8 (Watch)
Great little watch and good value for the price. Only 2 things let it down, 1, strap is poor quality and no onto my 3rd one in 4 years, plus when the battery went it lost it's water resistance and now fogs up. Still that could be the fault of the watch repairer and he did warn me this could happen. Overall a good little watch though

5.0 out of 5 stars Great watch, great price, how do they do it..., 22 Aug. 2010
UK_BM (Greater London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lorus Gents Sports Watch RXD425L8 (Watch)
I have been wearing this watch for a few weeks now and am very pleased with it. I changed the strap immediately upon receipt, so cannot comment on that aspect.
Time keeping is good - approximately +2 seconds per month with the watch on my wrist 24 hrs. Fairly big display, nicely laid out, any the light dial means that you do not need to keep cleaning the crystal as with a black dial.
The titanium case is extremely light, which suits me. Luminosity of the hands is good, intensity visibly fades after a few hours but is still visible through the night.
Overall, a great watch - a steal at £40.

4.0 out of 5 stars great light watch, 30 Dec. 2007
B. Mullen (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lorus Gents Sports Watch RXD425L8 (Watch)
Owned one of these for over 5 years. Very light, accurate and comfortable to wear. Only drawback, strap looked worn after a couple years of regular use. I use it for work now. Next watch Citizen eco-drive.....no batteries required!

5.0 out of 5 stars 20 years later..., 16 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Lorus Gents Sports Watch RXD425L8 (Watch)
20 years and one strap later, this watch is going strong! I've probably had four batteries. The screen is slightly scratched and the body slightly marked but none of this detracts from the overall appearance.

In twenty years, it has been around the world, up on chimneys, down a few holes, in and out of a few engines and still maintains perfect time. I probably need to adjust it once a year and that is usually when the clocks (or time zone) change.

A good looking watch, it comes highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Found what I was looking for and pleased with purchase, 1 July 2014
This review is from: Lorus Gents Sports Watch RXD425L8 (Watch)
I bought this to replace a Lorus watch of the same type except that the old one had a black face and it failed after 6 years due to battery leakage. I wanted the Titanium case to avoid irritating my wrist and I wanted the woven strap as I found that comfortable as it lets skin breathe. The strap is just long enough for my strong wrist with the buckle pin in the second last hole, same as the old watch, but I was hoping for longer. The face is cream which is fine for me but the description on Amazon says white in one place and cream in another place. The seconds hand is gold coloured so it is not so easy to see against the cream background but maybe the idea was to make it less obtrusive. My old black watch had a dark seconds hand. I am quite happy with my purchase and was delighted to be able to buy the same type of watch again. I use it for everyday wear even when doing rough work. I don't mind that the strap looks less fashionable than leather or metal. Important for me is that it is comfortable and strong.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lorus Titanium Watches, 15 Jan. 2012
Btcs (Somerset, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lorus Gents Sports Watch RXD425L8 (Watch)
For many years I had a problem with stainless steel watches and straps causing a skin reaction to my wrist, especially in hot weather. I came across the Lorus titanium watches, did some research, and bought this model and the version with the titanium strap, as they were so well priced. I replaced the nylon strap with a perforated waterproof marine strap, and this has been perfect, my problems with watches are cured. I have had these for some 5 years, I have replaced batteries myself and had no condensation problems (I have not swum in them!). The titanium strap version has a larger and clearer date display, but I have found them to be ideal for me. The timekeepimg is as good as our wireless controlled clocks. My leather strap is still good after 5 years and altogether I could not recommend these strongly enough. 100%.Lorus Gents Sports Watch RXD425L8

5.0 out of 5 stars one tough watch, 27 April 2010
This review is from: Lorus Gents Sports Watch RXD425L8 (Watch)
I've had one of these for four years and wear it for heavy DIY and gardening using hammer drills, concrete breaking and bricklaying etc to save my more expensive watch. The strap is now grotty black but the watch hasn't missed a second and the titanium case is completely undamaged.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Quality Product, 12 Mar. 2013
Mr. B. K. Simpson (West Midlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lorus Gents Sports Watch RXD425L8 (Watch)
I had been looking at this watch for a while until my other half decided to get it for me after seeing it in a local jewelers for £10 more than here, I can't believe how light the watch is I haven't removed the strap but if I did I don't think it would weigh anything. Large numbers in black on a cream face so easy to read the time with my aging eyes but could have done with a magnyfier for the date as I do struggle to read that. But overall a very strong light good looking watch and I am well pleased with it and wear it every day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Now better than before, 11 Dec. 2013
Leo (Marina del Rey, CA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lorus Gents Sports Watch RXD425L8 (Watch)
I bought this same watch about five years ago because I wanted an all titanium watch as the nickel in many steel watch shells irritates my skin. I then managed to lose that watch on a long overnight flight so bought a replacement. This replacement is identical with the addition of a plastic surround for the holes in the band. The one bad thing about the previous version was that the holes rapidly became fuzzy. The new plastic protection solves that problem, making this watch even better than ever.

Lorus Gents Sports Watch RXD425L8