5.0 out of 5 stars A Lot of Watch for the Money
Published on 20 Mar 2009 by Gusta

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what it says on the tin...
Two colleagues have Lorus watches with luminous dials, both are delighted and highly recommended them. I ordered one for work as the luminous dial would make it ideal in my line of work and it appeared robust and a decent price. Nigel Pearce & sons Jewellers from Jersey sent me the watch which arrived in good time. The paperwork said that having been boxed, the watch...
Published 18 months ago by Mr Mark Taylor

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Lot of Watch for the Money, 20 Mar 2009
This review is from: Lorus Gents Sports Watch RXD425L8 (Watch)
I bought one of these watches around a month ago and have been wearing it on a daily basis. The quality of finish of the watch casing, crystal and visible parts is amazing given the price. The face is very clear, the hands are nicely finished with a good degree of luminosity (although this is lost relatively quickly once out of daylight) and the crystal is mineral-glass so very resistant to scratching. The titanium casing is very lightweight and has a brushed, matte finish to make it less prone to scratching. Mine has a couple of very minor marks in this finish after a month of wear, but I would expect this of any metal-cased watch.

The accuracy of the watch is excellent - Lorus claim a very modest 20 seconds/month but the watch I have received is accurate to around 2.5s per month.

The only weak point in the overall package is the strap. The provided strap is a nylon, 'military' style effort. It is reasonably comfortable and has stainless fittings and a leather reinforcer around the holes. However, the nylon webbing used is of a very low quality, in a very coarse weave and quickly frays, picks up fluff from clothing and generally looks tatty. I junked the supplied band and fitted a brown leather, military one with stainless keepers and buckle from a German supplier which makes the watch look like a £100 item rather than a £10 item!

I've given the watch 5 stars despite the cheap strap as I think that given the quality of the actual watch itself it still represents remarkable value for money, even if you do have to spend some extra cash on a decent strap.

<edit> A couple of months down the line, and I would maintain everything in the above review section - the only other point worth mentioning is the loudness of the tick - this watch is the loudest ticker I've heard, for example it can be heard during silent sections of films in the cinema. In day-to-day use, however, this is not an issue. The finish is standing up well to day-to-day use.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lorus Sports, 21 Sep 2010
This review is from: Lorus Gents Sports Watch RXD425L8 (Watch)
Great little watch and good value for the price. Only 2 things let it down, 1, strap is poor quality and no onto my 3rd one in 4 years, plus when the battery went it lost it's water resistance and now fogs up. Still that could be the fault of the watch repairer and he did warn me this could happen. Overall a good little watch though

4.0 out of 5 stars great light watch, 30 Dec 2007
B. Mullen (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lorus Gents Sports Watch RXD425L8 (Watch)
Owned one of these for over 5 years. Very light, accurate and comfortable to wear. Only drawback, strap looked worn after a couple years of regular use. I use it for work now. Next watch Citizen eco-drive.....no batteries required!

5.0 out of 5 stars 20 years later..., 16 Jan 2014
Jf Peachey (UK Sussex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lorus Gents Sports Watch RXD425L8 (Watch)
20 years and one strap later, this watch is going strong! I've probably had four batteries. The screen is slightly scratched and the body slightly marked but none of this detracts from the overall appearance.

In twenty years, it has been around the world, up on chimneys, down a few holes, in and out of a few engines and still maintains perfect time. I probably need to adjust it once a year and that is usually when the clocks (or time zone) change.

A good looking watch, it comes highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great watch, great price, how do they do it..., 22 Aug 2010
UK_BM (Greater London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lorus Gents Sports Watch RXD425L8 (Watch)
I have been wearing this watch for a few weeks now and am very pleased with it. I changed the strap immediately upon receipt, so cannot comment on that aspect.
Time keeping is good - approximately +2 seconds per month with the watch on my wrist 24 hrs. Fairly big display, nicely laid out, any the light dial means that you do not need to keep cleaning the crystal as with a black dial.
The titanium case is extremely light, which suits me. Luminosity of the hands is good, intensity visibly fades after a few hours but is still visible through the night.
Overall, a great watch - a steal at £40.

5.0 out of 5 stars one tough watch, 27 April 2010
This review is from: Lorus Gents Sports Watch RXD425L8 (Watch)
I've had one of these for four years and wear it for heavy DIY and gardening using hammer drills, concrete breaking and bricklaying etc to save my more expensive watch. The strap is now grotty black but the watch hasn't missed a second and the titanium case is completely undamaged.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, 11 Jan 2010
Liang Shuo "Liang Shuo" (Bradford, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lorus Gents Sports Watch RXD425L8 (Watch)
This product is nice. It's very light. I think that's because the materiel. This is the gift for my father. He likes it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super watch at low cost, 5 Jan 2014
This review is from: Lorus Gents Sports Watch RXD425L8 (Watch)
I have had this watch for six years and it is reliable, robust and looks good with either a business suit or casual wear.
The strap is comfortable and allows you to use it in water but I after a few years I changed it for a leather strap
which enhanced the look of the watch considerably. I would highly recommend this watch as a good all rounder.

5.0 out of 5 stars Now better than before, 11 Dec 2013
Leo (Marina del Rey, CA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lorus Gents Sports Watch RXD425L8 (Watch)
I bought this same watch about five years ago because I wanted an all titanium watch as the nickel in many steel watch shells irritates my skin. I then managed to lose that watch on a long overnight flight so bought a replacement. This replacement is identical with the addition of a plastic surround for the holes in the band. The one bad thing about the previous version was that the holes rapidly became fuzzy. The new plastic protection solves that problem, making this watch even better than ever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Replacement for my lost one, 5 Oct 2013
This review is from: Lorus Gents Sports Watch RXD425L8 (Watch)
The second one of these I've had. Love it. Has a useful glow in the dark dial. Good product all round

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›