Format: Audio CD|Change

on 11 April 2010
I first became aware of Skip James through the film Ghost World which features 'Devil Got My Woman'. The song is enchanting and I needed to hear more of his work so I bought the album and I can honestly say it's one of the most beautiful albums I have ever listened to you must buy it.
on 11 February 2009
This is one of the finest blues albums of all time, Skip James' 1931 session complete. As the great American DJ Pervis Spann said: If you don't dig blues you gotta hole in yer soul. The blues doesn't get any better than this ....
on 7 February 2012
The fidelity may be poor the singing may sound strange but if you listen with an open mind you'll soon discover that these are probably the greatest blues songs ever recorded.

Incredibly this is the product of just two recording sessions in 1931, Tracks like Cherry Ball, Hard Time Killing Floor Blues, Devil Got my Woman and I'm so Glad are so far away from the formulaic style that had developed by the time of Robert Johnson that they almost don't sound like Blues songs at all. This minor key style pointed in a direction that blues music ultimately would not go and as a result now sounds fresh, new and original as well as being hauntingly eerie to hear after 81 years.
on 31 March 2013
I can't help but come away from listening to this CD with regret that the sound quality of some of the recording is quite poor and a massive talent like Skip James appears to have been so undervalued that there is a limited amount of material from what must have been his best years.
Nevertheless it's worth it for Killin Floor, I'd Rather be the Devil and I'm so Glad.