5.0 out of 5 stars 3ds heaven
bought this for 3ds MAX (9) and ONLY 3ds MAX (9) - after all it is specifically designed for 3 dimensions.

it does work on quite a few 2D applications, but I didn't even install the drivers for those so I can't comment - mouse is fine for 2D, in my opinion.

Published on 15 Mar 2008 by WWD

3.0 out of 5 stars Very nice hardware, but...
I won't describe again what this thing is or does, as other reviews have covered that. Suffice to say it's a beautiful object and works very well. I use an earlier version at work for 3D CAD work, and can't live without it, and at this price range it's a bargain.

Published on 12 Feb 2008 by Arheddis Varkenjaab

3.0 out of 5 stars Very nice hardware, but..., 12 Feb 2008
This review is from: 3Dconnexion SpaceNavigator Personal Edition USB (Personal Computers)

BUT: For some strange reason, the manufacturers don't seem to want to produce a generic driver for this product. That mean it won't work with almost anything you'd want to use it for, even big name programs like Adobe Illustrator which I'd actually bought this for (although it works with Photoshop). The potential uses for the spacenavigator are huge - games, office apps (great for excel), even things like using to control the volume on your music. You could pan it to move line-by-line through a document and then tilt it to go page by page. It would be amazing, a device as groundbreaking as the mouse was.

But you can't do any of these things. A look on 3dConnexions web forum gives the impression that they expect you to write your own drivers for your own applications, which is an incredibly strange business decision. As this thing is, it's wasted. It's a toy, a gimmick, which is an incredible shame as this should be so powerful.

So, what would be a glowing five-star review becomes a mere three. If you have a specific use for this, fantastic, otherwise it's a very attractive blue-glowing paperweight.

5.0 out of 5 stars 3ds heaven, 15 Mar 2008

if you have any 3d applications, you will soon get used 2 how this works and once you do, you'll find it one of the best gadgets available for a pc.

bigger and better versions can cost up to 400, but this only cost 37 and I'll make that money back in my first month just because of the time it saves - no more using the mouse for pan / adjust / rotate / adjust / pan / adjust etc. etc. when trying to manipulate vertices etc. on a 3D object - now my mouse does all the adjustments, and the 3dconnexion space navigator does all the panning, zooming & rotating without ever having to lift a finger.

one word of warning - my 3ds Max has issues with VISTA so has to be run as administrator, if that is the same with you then this gadget has also to be set up to run as administrator, and I mean 'defaulted' to run as admin, otherwise settings get lost/blocked by vista.

apart from that issue, which is Vista's fault, I cannot rate this item highly enough - even my college is thinking of buying some now.

if you use 3d, BUY THIS NOW!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars A tool for 3D pros only... not for consumers., 12 Sep 2009
If you're a pro, 3dConnexion make higher-end navigators which you'd probably invest in. This one seems to have been aimed and priced at consumers, but with no thought about what software consumers might actually use.

I bought this hoping it would work as a scroll wheel like the Griffin Powermate, allowing me to scroll through video using Final Cut Pro, as well as general text scrolling using Firefox, Pages, Word etc. However it only actually functions with a limited range of software, most of it very high-end CAD CAM stuff, including Dassult's software for designing jet fighters, which will be of limited interest to the general public.

However there's no way to map the functions of the controller to mouse commands, and the only way to get it to work with general software is to write your own driver, which is not my idea of fun.

3Dconnexion: would it really hurt to add scrolling/jogger drivers for MS Office, iLife, Firefox and Safari? Or even a way to map its functions to eg. a mouse wheel? The tool would become instantly 10x more useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars How did I ever live without it?, 23 Dec 2007
Ms. F. Audley "FKA81" (UK) - See all my reviews
I was introduced to the world of 3Dconnexion 3D mice by my partner who is a professional designer using 3DS Max. He actually uses the high end device called the SpacePilot which has a lot more buttons and features than the SpaceNavigator. He would never consider doing his job without it.
I'm more of a hobbyist when it comes to design applications, mainly using SketchUp and Photoshop. It's for these applications that I bought my SpaceNavigator... and it's been a revelation! I'm working so much quicker when I'm creating designs and it's also fantistic for fly-throughs when I'm reviewing my design ideas. I was very surprised to see a negative review on this site but I've actually left a comment on that review with some suggestions that you can read if you click on it. And I hope it helps because now that I've had this device for a few days I know now that I could never works without it. I've also used it with Google Earth and it's amazing. It's just like flying. When you use Google Earth with just a traditional mouse, the navigation is very jerky and slow. When I use my SpaceNavigator the experience is so smooth, controlled and intuitive... not to mention fun.

If you decide to buy one of these devices you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product, 4 Mar 2009
B. Phillips (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this primarily to use with Ableton Live which is a music program and nothing to do with CAD or 3D applications. I did a lot of investigation prior to buying the product as I have been searching for something like this for a while. The Griffin alternative just seemed too simple a product for my liking. I eventually took the plunge and bought the Spacenavigator.

After installing a dedicated driver for the Navigator (search the web, it's well documented & even on the 3Dconnexion forums) I can now successfully navigate Ableton Live flawlessly. You can also configure this driver to work with any Windows applications. I take my hat off to RBC9 for writing this driver. This makes this product even more amazing!

I am quite fussy when purchasing items & always do a lot of research beforehand. I can safely say this product is absolute quality. You will not be disappointed with the build quality and flawless operation of this item.

I have also configured it to work with Google Picasa for browsing my photos (using the driver) and also use it to navigate Google Earth & Sketchup.

Overall an absolutely excellent product and very highly recommended. My iPhone was my absolute top gadget of 2008 (actually of all my gadgets!)... This Spacenavigator will probably be my top gadget of 2009!

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful and quite fun too, 27 Nov 2008
Due to the mixed reviews this product has attained prior to now I decided to wait a few weeks before delivering my verdict, I have been using the product probably 3-4 times weekly for a fortnight now and I can say confidently that it was worth the money.

If you are concerned by the lack of support for some 3rd party applications then I would reccomend going to the manufacturer's website and checking to see ahead of time if the mouse is compatible, I knew that the software I wanted to use was compatible and found it to be no problem setting it up. If you make sure everythings compatible before purchase most big worries will be dealt with.

The product itself is weighty and shows very good build quality, I don't doubt that I could shove it in cluttered drawer, drop it etc and it would stand up to it.

The install process was simple and the software that comes with the device gives enough options to tweak the sensitivity and speed to the desired setting easily and quickly. I especially liked the option to call up the setting panel with a click one of the side buttons when I was first tailoring it to my needs. The only issues I had in installation were getting it to work with photoshop, however this was quickly solved by using the HELP file... yes I am as stubborn when it comes to manuals as anybody, but it did help here.

The device worked as I expected it to so I can't complain at all, however in the first week I did see myself occasionally using the keyboard and mouse combo out of habit, now however whenever I want to edit something in 3D space I will be using this handy tool, it can very easily become second nature.

Summary:
It's not a perfect product, mainly due to compatability, but that's easy enough to check before purchase. Build quality and software are great and the ease of use is very satisfactory.

1.0 out of 5 stars usual hardware/software denial of responsibility, 9 May 2008
Bought this device for use with Alibre Design 3D CAD software. Database on 3Dconnexion website states that SpaceNavigator is compatible with Alibre software. It isn't. Some of the functions work, i.e. rotate and zoom, but pan does not. Very unhelpful support when I contacted 3D about this. Was told no help or support for Personal Edition. When I pointed out that this was not a question of support but of fundamental product description and, claimed fitness for purpose I received a very rude and dismissive reply basically blaming Alibre for the problem, despite 3Ds claim on their website that the Navigator worked with Alibre. When questioned about whether they had tested the Navigator with Alibre and what their findings had been. They said that it was up to Alibre to ensure it worked with their software and that 3D had not tested it. They claimed to have had no contact with Alibre but when I looked at Alibre's forum they were aware of the issue and were addressing it, including having contacted 3D for further information.
Very disappointed with what should have been a good product let down by poor customer relations and the usual computer industry line of blaming another party whether hardware or software for product shortcomings

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply amazing, Google Earth fans MUST buy this!!, 27 Nov 2007
Mousan Lau (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this after reading about it in Readers Digest (I picked it up in the doctors waiting room - OK!!). I love Google Earth and use it to show my kids all the places I've lived, where their friends & family live and parts of the world we may never be able to go to.

The Space Navigator makes flying around Google Earth incredibly COOL! It's
easy to get used to & once you're up and running you can smoothly fly / zoom to anywhere you want - much easier than using your normal mouse and much more fun! I've seen a couple of movies on youtube that show it quite well.

The only criticism is the driver download is a large file but this is because it includes software for all the other programs the mouse supports (I don't know what most of them are but I assume they are 3D design programs). My son says it would be cool if the mouse worked in some games too (e.g. flight sims or "RTS" games like World in Conflict)

Bottom line - buy one of these if you use Google Earth or even if you don't yet! If you haven't tried GE it's free but make sure you have one of these 3D mice too!

1.0 out of 5 stars Nice Junk, 9 April 2014
Richard Perrott (UK) - See all my reviews
Nice while it worked , but expensive, and too damned fragile.
What a promising, but shamefully un-robust, waste of money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Must Have Item, 28 Feb 2012
Have had one of these for several years now and would not want to be without it. It has shown no signs of wear and still looks as good as new. Very well made and surprisingly heavy.