on 18 February 2015
It's early days for my use with this meter, as I've been using a Weston Master V with invercone for incident light readings for years now (which is fantastic I might add). However, I've recently started up my own photography business and I'm quickly realising that I have to use my time more wisely. No longer can I bracket exposures and know I'll be somewhere near within a few shots, I need my exposures to be bang on first time as often as I can. I've recently started using a studio set up which can present challenging lighting conditions due to the contrasts often associated and also the Weston Meter won't measure flash readings. Cue the Sekonic L-758. Initially I found it a little complex to use, but I've picked up how to use it within a couple of days of using this. I especially like the spot reflective metering function with the ability for the meter to store multiple readings of one scene at the push of a button and then it calculates the average for me at any given ISO. You can use it in aperture priority mode or shutter priority mode. It has a function for detecting flash too. You set it with the dial on the front from ambient to flash then the device waits up to 90 secs for a flash to fire and feeds back a reading. Just then program this into your camera and take the shot under those exact light conditions. The lumisphere on the top swivels to whatever position you need and it had either an 'out' position for 3d subjects, i.e people, or an 'in' position for metering shots of 2d items, e.g., artwork, photographs. It comes with the CR123 battery and a long lanyard to carry it around your neck. There is also a soft, well made case for it which is padded to help protect the item she it's rattling about in your bag. This is basically the light meter of all light meters. You are meant to be able to set a Dynamic range meter on the device to tally with up to 2 of your cameras and there is software included on a disc to enable you to do this. I've not done this yet as you need a Sekonic Exposure Profile Target I or something similar to do this. It basically then allows you to look at a scale on your screen of the device and determine whether the scene is within the dynamic range of your camera and fitted lens. If it isn't, then you're looking at either changing the lens, adding or subtracting more light from the scene (if you have that control with flash/lighting/reflector etc. So far I've found it a great piece of kit. I need to put the spot meter to a more hefty test, but it's great that I can now meter a scene wherever I am stood, e.g., scenic shot where your highlights and shadows may be many meters or even miles away, take the average exposure values calculated by the device (and not me with a calculator like I did with the Weston) and this would all be done with the Sekonic in less than 30 secs and i'll be firing away. It sounds like a lot of money, but this is a professional device, albeit it would still be suitable for beginners getting into using their own light metering and then the device will grow with them as their knowledge of the subject grows. Highly recommended.
on 25 October 2015
Perhaps it is an outstanding tool functionally, but manufacturing quality of L-758DR is below expectation.
I compare it with 10+ year old L-508 zoom master, which finally needed replacement due to some malfunctions in flash modes.
Old L-508 was manufactured to the higher standard of quality. It had useful Zoom function, which does not seem to be present in L-758DR. Save for zoom, L-758DR has extended functions but demonstrates cheaper plastic and poorer quality textile cover. Battery cover is not tight enough, shows a gap on the side and creaks when you operate the meter handheld (There is no such issue at all with L-508 after many years in service and field work, all is tight and solid). Bulkier design of lens in L-758DR (hard to explain why, there is no zoom/rotation anymore) requires new squarer design of cover, which uses Velcro inserts to fill internal voids. Cover is less convenient to use and meter takes more of the valuable space in a bag.
I am loyal Sekonic customer for many years and expect them to create not just functional, but perfectly designed and well built products, which will last for many years, especially at this price range. L-758DR does not impress in this respect, pity.
Another mean feature - the battery was not included, so I can not use light meter straight from the box. The battery is CR123A, which is not sold nearby. RRP £600 and no battery included, no exposure profile card which has to be bought separately?
I very much hope that I will be able to add additional rating star(s) after taking time to enjoy new range of functions, we'll see.
on 14 August 2013
...lightmeter money can buy. When in doubt about your exposure it will always be your best friend.

If you want a serious tool that you will never outgrow, this is the one.

A lot of money, but well spent money.
on 1 March 2015
Top class meter wouldn't be without it, and a great service delivered on time thanks
on 20 December 2014
Why did I ever pay attention to people telling me that Light Meters are old hat.
I have at last got blown out highlights repeatably under control.
on 14 November 2014
I purchased this light meter for the studio lights and after a year of use it has proved to be consistent and reliable.
on 24 November 2013
Excellent meter - being able to profile my Nikon D600 dynamic range and upload those ranges to the meter, has been very benificial to my photographs - I'm currently in the middle east and very easy to clip the highlights. I additionally bought the Colour Checker passport, a great combo
on 20 June 2011
i bought it last 6 month ago and still using it . which improve my picture quality allot.
it pretty expensive but its worthy for what we want for result.
on 14 March 2016
Too expensive for the average user and you need an additional £120 worth of attachment to get the best out of this.
on 4 June 2015
Exactly what you would expect from top of the range tool. Helps a lot to understand the way of light.