5.0 out of 5 stars Great Enthusiast and Pro device., 18 Feb. 2015
Mr. N. S. Matthews (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sekonic Digitalmaster L-758DR (Built in Radio Transmitter) Digital Light/Flash Meter (Electronics)
It's early days for my use with this meter, as I've been using a Weston Master V with invercone for incident light readings for years now (which is fantastic I might add). However, I've recently started up my own photography business and I'm quickly realising that I have to use my time more wisely. No longer can I bracket exposures and know I'll be somewhere near within a few shots, I need my exposures to be bang on first time as often as I can. I've recently started using a studio set up which can present challenging lighting conditions due to the contrasts often associated and also the Weston Meter won't measure flash readings. Cue the Sekonic L-758. Initially I found it a little complex to use, but I've picked up how to use it within a couple of days of using this. I especially like the spot reflective metering function with the ability for the meter to store multiple readings of one scene at the push of a button and then it calculates the average for me at any given ISO. You can use it in aperture priority mode or shutter priority mode. It has a function for detecting flash too. You set it with the dial on the front from ambient to flash then the device waits up to 90 secs for a flash to fire and feeds back a reading. Just then program this into your camera and take the shot under those exact light conditions. The lumisphere on the top swivels to whatever position you need and it had either an 'out' position for 3d subjects, i.e people, or an 'in' position for metering shots of 2d items, e.g., artwork, photographs. It comes with the CR123 battery and a long lanyard to carry it around your neck. There is also a soft, well made case for it which is padded to help protect the item she it's rattling about in your bag. This is basically the light meter of all light meters. You are meant to be able to set a Dynamic range meter on the device to tally with up to 2 of your cameras and there is software included on a disc to enable you to do this. I've not done this yet as you need a Sekonic Exposure Profile Target I or something similar to do this. It basically then allows you to look at a scale on your screen of the device and determine whether the scene is within the dynamic range of your camera and fitted lens. If it isn't, then you're looking at either changing the lens, adding or subtracting more light from the scene (if you have that control with flash/lighting/reflector etc. So far I've found it a great piece of kit. I need to put the spot meter to a more hefty test, but it's great that I can now meter a scene wherever I am stood, e.g., scenic shot where your highlights and shadows may be many meters or even miles away, take the average exposure values calculated by the device (and not me with a calculator like I did with the Weston) and this would all be done with the Sekonic in less than 30 secs and i'll be firing away. It sounds like a lot of money, but this is a professional device, albeit it would still be suitable for beginners getting into using their own light metering and then the device will grow with them as their knowledge of the subject grows. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best..., 14 Aug. 2013
...lightmeter money can buy. When in doubt about your exposure it will always be your best friend.

If you want a serious tool that you will never outgrow, this is the one.

A lot of money, but well spent money.

5.0 out of 5 stars The last light meter you'll ever need to buy, 28 Jan. 2015
Dean "Dean" (Scottish Borders) - See all my reviews
Extremely rugged design - first saw this from a company rep. demonstration where they threw this meter across a large room to show how rugged it is - it looked none the worse for wear and worked flawlessly. Have used the cheaper L-479DR, and by comparison the L-758 is much better made. In fact I've seen problems with the screen failing on the L-479 and found the functionality to be easier to understand but counteracted by the annoying touch screen, and the screen timeout switching off just when you want to use it again! The L-758 is instantly on and ready to work.

I use this to trigger my strobes which have PocketWizard receivers plugged in (so I don't need an assistant to fire them to take a reading). Take note that just like PocketWizard's - the lightmeter you buy must be sold in the same region as your PocketWizards (i.e. the label on the back is marked with CE for Europe, Americas=FCC markings) so they talk using the same frequencies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 20 Dec. 2014
Why did I ever pay attention to people telling me that Light Meters are old hat.
I have at last got blown out highlights repeatably under control.

4.0 out of 5 stars I purchased this light meter for the studio lights and ..., 14 Nov. 2014
I purchased this light meter for the studio lights and after a year of use it has proved to be consistent and reliable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top class meter, 1 Mar. 2015
Top class meter wouldn't be without it, and a great service delivered on time thanks

5.0 out of 5 stars worthwhile - simply by ensuring that my photo's are clipped, 24 Nov. 2013
Excellent meter - being able to profile my Nikon D600 dynamic range and upload those ranges to the meter, has been very benificial to my photographs - I'm currently in the middle east and very easy to clip the highlights. I additionally bought the Colour Checker passport, a great combo

5.0 out of 5 stars dose the job perfectly, 20 Jun. 2011
i bought it last 6 month ago and still using it . which improve my picture quality allot.
it pretty expensive but its worthy for what we want for result.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 12 Nov. 2014
A brilliant piece of kit!