5.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgic Superstar
Published on 29 Dec. 2008 by Mrs V

3.0 out of 5 stars Lasted 2 weeks.
Unfortunately, after just 2 weeks , whilst using the convection oven,there was an aubible bang and upon investigation I discovered that the glass in the door had completely shattered!
Amazon have been really helpful so far and are arranging for a replacement to be sent out first class and for the old one to be picked up.
Up until it broke I was extremely pleased...
Published on 5 Sept. 2010 by Mrs. K. Fisher-price

5.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgic Superstar, 29 Dec. 2008
Mrs V (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Sharp R959SLMA 40 litre 900 watt Digital Combination Microwave Oven with Quartz Grill, Silver (Kitchen & Home)
Bought this product in a frenzied hurry purely on the strength of the reviews here - due to my panasonic one rather nicely packing in by blowing half the house fuses only weeks after the 1yr guarantee expired AND only one week before Christmas! As this was the third panasonic in just under 4 years to pack in just out of guarantee we were determined to change manufacturer. So back to Sharp - the manufacturer of the first microwave we ever owned many many years ago and oh boy have we struck gold.

This is a large combi microwave which just oozes quality and is a dream to use. The wattage of our panasonic was 1000 and although the specification for this one is 900 this actually cooks a lot quicker and the only reason I can come up with is the 'jet' function. We ordered on Thursday afternoon at approximately 4pm on free supersaver delivery (although I think this was automatically upgraded) because of Christmas, and it arrived the day after at approximately 2pm - astounding service from Amazon/Courier.

I used it every day up to and including Christmas Day when it coped admirably by cooking our full Christmas dinner including a 13.5kg turkey. The main oven was only on to keep things warm. Although most of the functions it does I already used in my previous machine a couple of things I have never had before which I think are excellent 1) the two metal racks that are exactly the same as those from a normal oven so you can use the jet convection element just like a normal oven and fit loads into the large 40L capacity over two levels. I tried it with bread rolls, biscuits and yorkshire puds and the results were excellent. 2) the ceramic turntable - I was very dubious about keeping this clean because it's white, but a couple of weeks down the road and having been used at least once a day (sometimes three) there isn't a mark on it. One other thing worth mentioning is that you can pre-programme up to three different cooking combinations ie full micro 20mins followed by combi micro/convection 25mins followed by grill/micro 55mins etc. You can use this feature with any combination of cooking/time.

I am extremely happy with this purchase and I can honestly say that I think without a doubt this could easily replace my normal cooker oven. Finally a big thanks to all who took time out to give concise reviews of the machine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Its the business and does what it says on the tin, 28 Sept. 2008
J. White (West Midlands) - See all my reviews
I ordered this item after reading reviews on here and placed the order on 23rd September. After a problem with my credit card I finally ordered on 24th September with an anticipated delivery date of 3rd-10th October so imagine my delight when it arrived on 27th September, 3 days after placing the order!

I have never used a dual convection/convection/grill/microwave oven before, my previous one was 15 years old and out of the arc! Anyway I wanted an oven that could cook my Sunday dinner to the same quality as my fan assisted oven which I felt was costing too much money to run and so was looking for ways to save on my electicity. Well was I impressed with the performance of this microwave - I certainly was! I cooked a small leg of lamb in 35 minutes along with my roasted potatoes and they were done exactly right, crisp and browned too! In my fan oven to cook this leg of lamb and keep it tender would have taken me at least 1 and a half hours at the very least.

I found the controls are straight forward once you realise there are more functions and therefore more buttons to set for the different types of cooking. It is smart in appearance too and so versatile, you can cook everything from frozen oven chips to a full 3 course meal (although I haven't tried the other recipes yet). My husband is a very critical person and did not believe it could cook a Sunday lunch until I did it and he had to admit that it tasted just as good as the fan oven. We have been cooking our vegetables on the hob still but as we have problems with potatoes going into the water, have now decided to give it a try in the microwave where they don't have to be cooking for so long as on a hob.
Hopefully we will end up with potatoes cooked but not disintegrated!

I would give this microwave top score and if it proves as good with other meal ideas I will be over the moon (especially as I am saving on electricity too, which is no mean feat these days).

5.0 out of 5 stars A really great little cooker -highly recommended, 7 Feb. 2009
I bought my new Sharp Combination Microwave to replace one I had had for about ten years and which had been great apart from the LCD display which had failed. The cooker still worked but couldn't be used for combi cooking as you could not see what you had keyed in. Anyway, I love my new one and here's a tip, you can turn off the LCD display and use the "energy save mode" where the display only comes on when you want to use it instead of displaying the time constantly. I am hoping will make it last longer. My favourite thing about my new one is the grill which is much superior to the old one. Also, it has slide-in shelves as well as turntable ones, which makes it even more versatile. If you get one of these wonderful machines, you must try the auto-cook roast chicken - just enter the weight and set it going - takes about 45 minutes for a medium sized chicken - and it comes out all golden, juicy and perfect - even the cheapie ones. All in all, an excellent product and highly recommended. Be aware, though, that it is quite a large piece of equipment and is very heavy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb buy, 29 Jun. 2009
When it came time to replace our old electric oven we decided to downsize being just just two of us and bought a Panasonic combination microwave which was a big mistake, terrible grill, uneven cooking and the suggested cooking times were nowhere near correct. It eventually caught fire and filled the kitchen with noxious fumes! Next was one of those small halogen ovens, mistake number two! Finally, after much debate, decided to trust the Which? best buy and went for the Sharp combi. It is everything the Panasonic isn't, excellent grill, even cooking, easy to use, just follow the recipes as the recommended times are spot on, easy to clean (the white ceramic turntable doesn't stain, unlike the Panasonic) in fact it's a joy to use, all pro's, no cons, would give it 10 stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars It's the dogs b********!!, 17 July 2008
Mr. S. Morris (East Anglia UK) - See all my reviews
Just bought this one to replace the earlier model. I had this for six years and apart from christmas time has completely replaced my conventional oven. Yes it is a bit large but that is it's best feature! We use this to cook a full roast for six people with no problems. I can't praise this item enough. Saves time and more importantly saves money!
Don't hesitate. Buy one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Capacious and Versatile, 16 Oct. 2010
I bought this combi microwave as a replacement for my 10 year old Sanyo combi, which was a very hard act to follow. The on screen instructions for the various functions mean you can almost do without the instructions if you have had a combi before. I bought it as a result of the Which? reviews which suggested that there were better microwaves but none of them according to users was very reliable. I have not been disappointed, the build quality is very good and the large capacity will mean even less work for my conventional oven.

I know it sounds daft but having checked the dimensions before purchase, I was surprised at the size of it once it arrived, this is a big microwave!

I have used most of the cooking functions and it does exactly what it says it will do. The defrost programs are very good, you get defrosted food with no part cooked bits, the combi functions produce good jacket potatoes and meat is cooked perfectly.

All in all a very good product at a price that belies its quality. I install kitchens for a living and have just installed a NEFF combi costing almost £1000 and I have to say that it is very little better than the Sharp, so this is something that is hard to find today, genuine value for money!

I have used this microwave for 2 years now and would add the following comments:- The defrost facility is great if you are there to follow the progress, if not, the defrost process which stops and asks you to turn items over or remove defrosted food, simply stops until you open the door, close it and press start again. My old Sanyo used to resume the defrost after a couple of minutes. I now use the 10% microwave setting for an unattended defrost, The preheat for the convection oven is a bit of a pain, you preheat to say 220C then cook for 10 mins, at that point you want to cook for an additional 5 mins, but it will only allow you to do this after going through the preheat cycle again, despite the fact that the oven is up to temperature, I haven't found a work around for that. In the last few days the bulb illuminating the interior has blown and it looks like you have to partially dismantle it to replace the bulb.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding oven!, 3 Jun. 2008
This is a great oven with decent features. I have used it regularly over two years, for cooking roasts (including Christmas Turkey Dinner). It has a quick menu that allows you to access it's programmed modes such as baked potatoes - which take about 25 mins and come soft inside with crispy skin. I now have a standard oven, it's only advantage over the Sharp is it's capacity, however the Sharp has many advantages over it including: microwave; flexible timers; turntable. It comes with a shelf so you can cook two things at once i.e. roast beef and roast potatoes. Even if you have a conventional oven this makes an ideal second oven, highly recomended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Could not get better, 15 Oct. 2008
S. Oxley (uk) - See all my reviews
We have used a large combinations since 1989 ( 2 x sanyo ) and they have been perfect for two people.We now have a young son so have now opted
for two built in combis as we plan to remod our kitchen next year but until then we have purchased the Sharp due to the Sanyo breaking down.
We purchased it for £150, what more can i say. Its big (40Ltr) and will
fit on a standard depth worktop with a little room to spare.
The oven bakes, roasts, grills and microwaves, a one stop shop if you like. We have never owned a standard oven and never will when there is ovens like this on the the market that do so much.
For a couple of people you would never need a normal oven and for a family
its perfect as an additional workhorse.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lasted 2 weeks., 5 Sept. 2010
Mrs. K. Fisher-price "swampfing" (wales-u.k.) - See all my reviews
Up until it broke I was extremely pleased with the microwave and agree with all the previous comments about ease of use and functionality. I am hoping that this is just a 'one off' and not a common fault...has anyone else had a similar problem?

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic microwave, 10 Mar. 2009
We are very impressed with this R959SLM. Very powerful oven and cooks all kinds of things extremely fast on combination mode.

We cooked a large 1.3KG joint of beef recently which only took 45 minutes and came out done perfect, juicy and nicely browned! This doesn't make a mess of the oven either which is very easy to clean - I just wiped over with a sponge and washing-up liquid and it was perfectly clean again in a few seconds.

Very heavy, solid and well built too. Two great functions are the automatic guides on the digital display (telling you to turn the meat over or which rack to use etc.), and also the Power Saving Mode which completely turns the unit off between uses. Highly recommended!!