Size: 8x42|Change

on 20 January 2010
Just got a pair of these delivered. Look good and sturdy and not too heavy. Compared them to a £600 pair of Leicas and to be honest these are just as good with lovely bright crisp optics and generally good build. If I was to moan about anything (which I don't want to) it is that the right hand twist out eyepiece is meant to stop at a half way out point (as well as fully out). This halfway point is not as positive a "click" as it is on the left side. Anyway this is very minor and slight. Perhaps the extra hundreds for leicas etc goes into build quality etc but optically these are just as good.

They came with strap, case etc and will focus onto your foot so are good for insects etc as well as birding.

All in all I would highly recommend them to anyone who has always dreamt of owning a pair of excellent bins but who could never quite bring themselves to shell out many hundreds of pounds!
on 12 May 2011
I have long managed my love of watching birds using inadequate binocs, these make a huge difference, almost as if I really am that close up. Slightly heavier than those I have been accustomed to, but well worth it. I have tried out much more expensive models in the specialist shops and fail to see any difference in quality of view. I think these are, quite simply, excellent. value.
on 22 March 2012
I have owned a pair of Opticron 8x42 Discovery binoculars for over a year and enjoyed many hours using them. These would be considered a budget priced product but they deliver a bright, sharp image which would be considered good on considerably more expensive optics. I recommend these binoculars to any potential buyers, you will not be disappointed.
on 25 August 2011
Great binoculars - not too heavy, easy to focus and comfortable to use over a longer period of time. These were my first pair of binoculars and for the price I am delighted. Glad I did not spend a fortune on a more expensive pair.
on 17 April 2015
You will struggle to find a more compact pair of 10x42 of roof prism binoculars than these. The have a crisp bright image and have a wide eye relief so are particularly suitable for people who want to use them when wearing eye glasses. The 8x magnification ones are even better for this. They are also waterproof hence the WP moniker. Its not widely appreciated that Opticron are a small UK company that get their binoculars made to a high standard overseas, but because they are UK based they have good customer service if you have a problem. Being an optics freak and a daily user I have about 10 pairs of binoculars right up to a pair that were a couple of thousand pounds, but all of my budget and mid range sets are Opticron. In the past few years I have damaged two pairs and they were both quickly and economically repaired at the Opticron service centre at Luton. I really recommend the Discovery in particular as they are my favourite 'grab and go' set as they do most things very well..
on 9 April 2011
The binoculars arrived very promptly and were exactly what I wanted as I'd previously looked at several different types in local shops. This Opticron produces excellent image quality when compared to other models. Cheaper models were clearly inferior, particularly those at £60 or less. More expensive models may have been better but any differences in image quality were impossible for me to detect. Of course time will tell if the claims for water resistance and anti-fogging are true, but so far I'm very pleased with what I bought.
on 21 November 2011
I bought these to replace my old pair of Nikkons which had succumbed to being repeatedly dropped in last winter's snow. I haven't regretted buying these - they're easy to carry around and have now survived their fair share of knocks, bumps and rain. They may not be optically the most high-tech, but they are perfectly adequate, making them the ideal bins to complement a scope, or take on a stroll. They also focus extremely close, so are ideal for butterflies and dragonflies. All in all a good binocular bargain.
on 16 October 2014
I have long wanted to own a pair of Opticron binoculars ever since I used to work in photographic retail more than twelve years ago. I was fortunate at that time to be able to compare multiple brands and models of binoculars side by side. I have used Bushnell, Leica, Bausch & Lomb, Pentax, Olympus, Canon, and Opticron. All I can say was that I became a huge fan of Opticron binoculars and here's why: for their price point the optics are absolutely outstanding, a tenth the price of Leica but I would say 95% of the quality. None of the other brands offer the same value for money or come near to the sharpness and brightness of Opticron.

The exit pupil size on Opticron binoculars are very large, this is often overlooked when people consider buying binos. However the larger the exit pupil diameter the more light that is entering your eyes and brighter the image. Also it makes for a more comfortable viewing experience. So long story short, I have finally bought this pair and as expected outstanding optics, nice size, fit well in the hands, rubberised, waterproof, large focus knob, and can be mounted (with the appropriate adapter) to a tripod.
on 11 June 2015
I've had a pair for just over two years now. The optics are good but for me the size and weight are winners. They tuck away under my shoulder and I can forget I have them with me - these are the only 8x32 binoculars I've found small enough and light enough to do that with comfortably. I even wear them back-packing. They focus close for butterflies, which is another of my interests. The customer service is excellent. The warranty is two years spares and repairs, then three years repairs. Just before the two years were up one of the eye-pieces broke off (the plastic thread snapped through) in my hand - no rough treatment. You might take this as poor construction, but these things are really light, so the pay-off is plastic body and threads. I would have knocked a star off except for what happened next: I noticed on the warranty that accidental damage was labour-only. As the shop assistant clearly didn't believe they'd broken in my hand ("They must have had a hell of a bang, mate") I was expecting to be asked to pay for parts. Not a bit of it - they came straight back fixed - no haggling.
on 25 May 2014
I haven't given them 5 for a few short comings. What you actually see through them is great, I love the 10 magnification and the general quality and solidity is great. What I don't like is the small name covering on the spindle fell off (just glued on) within a week of buying, and it fell off why I was outside so never seen again. I now have to look at the screws. No major just looks a bit cheap. Also very unhappy with the covers for front lenses. I'm not sure they could be any poorer. I did end up buying rubber stay on covers from Opticron soon I saw them. Just a bit cheap not including them really, these aren't bargain basement bins. Don't necessarily expect stay on covers, but what comes supplied are hard to describe. They are the sort of covers you'd expect on £30 bins. Just a bit of a shame down these little things take the shine off an otherwise great product.