4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant watching!
Published on 5 Dec 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Bad name. Good film.
Published on 28 Feb 2000

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant watching!, 5 Dec 2000
By A Customer
I absolutely love this film and had despaired of ever being able to track down a copy. It is exactly the type of film to watch when you want something enjoyable to make you laugh out loud. Slater is buzzing with energy and the witty humour of his pirate radio broadcasts makes me chuckle every time I hear it. Similar in style to films like Heathers, Empire Records, it is an extremely watchable portrait of disaffected youth which doesn't take itself too seriously and leaves you feeling positive and determined to go out and do something, anything. I would heartily recommend it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent adolescent nostalgia, 14 Jan 2004
While this film might seem dated or embarrassing to teenagers, for those of us now in our twenties who grew up largely in the confines of our bedrooms listening to grunge music and daydreaming, this is an uplifting, exhilerating and sexy film with an incredible soundtrack featuring the Pixies, Leonard Cohen, and many others. Buy it, even if it's only for the music.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you love it..., 2 Dec 2004
you'll really love it. I have never known a film with such re-watch value had an old VHS copy at college, film was on a virtually constant loop in the communal kitchen / diner of our shared flat must have seen this film at least 200 times. As you imagine most films would have been thrown out of the window but EVERYONE who lived there (6 of us) and a wide variety of assorted visitors all liked it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply great!, 23 Dec 2004
Kevin (Leeds) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Christian Slater plays yet another disaffected youth (sound familiar?), in a movie about a corrupt school, teenage angst, and pirate radio.
The soundtrack fits perfectly, the language is strong, but necessary, and the acting is solid.
Just a shame that viewers with only a Region 2 player can't enjoy this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars outstanding, 1 Sep 2008
Mr. O. Stagg - See all my reviews
yes indeed! this is an outstanding film. it's ridiculously fun and stunningly over-acted.

more importantly, watch out for the scene when our hero sparks a minor riot at his school- within half a minute a group of local toughs have emerged in the background carrying what i can only describe as a 12 foot papier-mache penis. quite where they had this hidden, just in case, is anyone's guess.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eloquent & unique classic, 27 April 2014
This review is from: Pump up the volume (DVD)
For me this film is flawless, raw, poetic and rugged. Seller sent immediately and I received it no sooner than I had finished placing the order. The script, soundtrack and performances take you away and by the end credits you are pumped and ready to do something, anything!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Brilliant!, 10 Jan 2014
I read about this film in a book about The Doors by Greil Marcus, and he spoke so highly of it that I decided to hunt it down and watch it. I'm glad I did!

This film had me engrossed shortly after it started. I won't spoil much of the plot, but the protagonist really engaged me and I could relate to him, as a lot of people probably can.

All in all, this is a classic and a must-see! A malcontent youth decides to take to the radio to air his views and soon garners a lot of attention and support. Doesn't sound like much of a premise, but that's because I don't want to give too much away.

Go watch it!

4.0 out of 5 stars A teen classic film, 2 July 2013
This has always been a favourite film of mine, a shame I haven't seen it on DVD format yet. The quality was good, the delivery time reasonable. good bargin

3.0 out of 5 stars Bad name. Good film., 28 Feb 2000
By A Customer
Rarely do films have such misleading names; 'Pump up the Volume' has nothing to do with rap music or house parties; the 'volume' of the title is a reference to Christian Slater's nerdy character's secret occupation as a cool pirate radio DJ. Notwithstanding its mediocre name, this video is otherwise pretty good - Slater is always at his best as an underdog hero, though his role here can't compare to the cool outsider he gets to play in 'Heathers'. And the choice of music for the soundtrack is unusually good - one scene is accompanied by the Pixies' 'Wave of Mutilation (UK Surf Mix)', which is one of the finest tunes ever.

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star, 7 Nov 2014
This review is from: Pump up the volume (DVD)
It was on French