on 5 December 2000
I absolutely love this film and had despaired of ever being able to track down a copy. It is exactly the type of film to watch when you want something enjoyable to make you laugh out loud. Slater is buzzing with energy and the witty humour of his pirate radio broadcasts makes me chuckle every time I hear it. Similar in style to films like Heathers, Empire Records, it is an extremely watchable portrait of disaffected youth which doesn't take itself too seriously and leaves you feeling positive and determined to go out and do something, anything. I would heartily recommend it to anyone.
on 14 January 2004
While this film might seem dated or embarrassing to teenagers, for those of us now in our twenties who grew up largely in the confines of our bedrooms listening to grunge music and daydreaming, this is an uplifting, exhilerating and sexy film with an incredible soundtrack featuring the Pixies, Leonard Cohen, and many others. Buy it, even if it's only for the music.
on 2 December 2004
you'll really love it. I have never known a film with such re-watch value had an old VHS copy at college, film was on a virtually constant loop in the communal kitchen / diner of our shared flat must have seen this film at least 200 times. As you imagine most films would have been thrown out of the window but EVERYONE who lived there (6 of us) and a wide variety of assorted visitors all liked it.
VINE VOICEon 23 December 2004
Christian Slater plays yet another disaffected youth (sound familiar?), in a movie about a corrupt school, teenage angst, and pirate radio.
The soundtrack fits perfectly, the language is strong, but necessary, and the acting is solid.
Just a shame that viewers with only a Region 2 player can't enjoy this one.
on 10 January 2014
I read about this film in a book about The Doors by Greil Marcus, and he spoke so highly of it that I decided to hunt it down and watch it. I'm glad I did!

This film had me engrossed shortly after it started. I won't spoil much of the plot, but the protagonist really engaged me and I could relate to him, as a lot of people probably can.

All in all, this is a classic and a must-see! A malcontent youth decides to take to the radio to air his views and soon garners a lot of attention and support. Doesn't sound like much of a premise, but that's because I don't want to give too much away.

Go watch it!
on 1 September 2008
yes indeed! this is an outstanding film. it's ridiculously fun and stunningly over-acted.

more importantly, watch out for the scene when our hero sparks a minor riot at his school- within half a minute a group of local toughs have emerged in the background carrying what i can only describe as a 12 foot papier-mache penis. quite where they had this hidden, just in case, is anyone's guess.
on 27 April 2014
For me this film is flawless, raw, poetic and rugged. Seller sent immediately and I received it no sooner than I had finished placing the order. The script, soundtrack and performances take you away and by the end credits you are pumped and ready to do something, anything!
on 2 July 2013
This has always been a favourite film of mine, a shame I haven't seen it on DVD format yet. The quality was good, the delivery time reasonable. good bargin
on 9 December 2015
Film is fantastic ,but I bought it on the pretence it was a DVD and received a VHS video tape :(
on 22 January 2015
Cristian Slater has always been the epitome of cool for me. I'm six years younger then him and was just the right age to witness his golden age of 'youthful rebellion cinema' as it happened. I watched him as his roles matured from 'voice of youth' teenagers , through to effortlessly cool, twenty-something hipsters and (after a lull) the wiser, chilled out, free spirited characters in his thirties. He represented the level of street smart I would aspire to (but rarely reach) as I grew up. So, I am somewhat biased when it comes to reviewing any of his roles from that era.
I first saw Pump Up The Volume on TV when I was in my late teens and loved it. Partly cos of the music, partly cos of the references to Lenny Bruce who I was just discovering at the time but mainly because of two things: Slater's performance as Mark Hunter and the idea of a nerdy kid (such as I was at the time) living a 'double life' and having such an effect on his peers.
Due to the films unavailability I didn't see it again for about twenty years and watching again as a somewhat disillusioned thirty-nine year old was a strange two-sided experience. On the one hand I was rooting for Hard Harry and watched with delight as he exposed the corrupt dealings of his high school, inspired his schoolmates and got the girl. All this behind the back of his pleasant but blase parents!
However, another part of me found Mark and his radio speeches to be the whining rants of some loser with a chip on his shoulder. As I watched his fellow teens rise in protest I couldn't help thinking 'Ah, stop moaning kids...everybody has to grow up and get a job. Its called the real world!' I'm fairly sure if I saw this for the first time today it would be more of an amusing distraction with a cool soundtrack.
The cast are on the whole pretty solid and the suicide moment is still genuinely moving (although way to brief, it has very little build-up and is soon passed over in favor of other plot points). I'd say if you're my age or younger and don't take it too seriously it's an entertaining evenings viewing. The ingredients are all there for a retro classic but they fall short by a beat. For Slaterites like me or just fans of high school flicks from the eights and nineties, Pump Up The Volume is the perfect companion piece to Heathers.
The DVD sleeve is in French as are the soundbites on the menu and the dubbed trailers that proceed it. This is kinda frustrating but a small price to pay to finally own this otherwise deleted title. The extras are fairly sparse: A half-hour retrospective documentary gives an entertaining insight into the making of the film and the original trailer which can be watched in English or French. If you already know and like the film its a satisfying purchase. Otherwise I'd wait to catch it on TV sometime.