5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says it does and for a very good price.
Published on 26 Aug 2011 by David

1.0 out of 5 stars Dire
Hmm. I had high hopes for this mic. Not least because of some of the favorable reviews of it that I read before purchase. However when doing a side by side comparison with a Rode NT1 it failed miserably!.

Noisy. No top. No bottom. So bad that I had to try the other one I had bought (I was going to use them to record my Bechstein) to make sure that it wasn't a...
Published on 26 Dec 2012 by oliver sheen

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says it does and for a very good price., 26 Aug 2011
This review is from: Behringer C-3 Studio Condenser Microphones (Electronics)
I was concerned that this microphone was not going to sound as good as more expensive makes because of it's price difference. Those concerns vanished once I plugged it in and used it. There were some reviewers that said it was very noisy, I didn't find this. The noise level is very slightly higher than the more expensive makes but I record onto a laptop using audacity and then use a noise gate to reduce the high frequencies at low levels which removes any hiss you do hear but makes the vocals sound very natural and crisp. I use the microphone to record vocals for radio programmes and this microphone gives a very flat and natural sound. I didn't find I needed a wind shield or a shock mount. If you angle the microphone on the supplied bracket on a microphone stand and talk slightly over it rather than straight into it you don't tend to get popping.

I did try recording with it set to omnidirectional in the middle of a room and it picks up uniformly around the full circle.

I'm very happy with it, it is a great product at a very good price. Just remember you need a phantom powered mixer or interface for it, which I already had.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the price, 26 Nov 2010
This review is from: Behringer C-3 Studio Condenser Microphones (Electronics)
Love this mike - it does exactly what I wanted. The sound is 'perfect' rather than present. I suspect this is because of the very flat response curve without a presence peak. It is hard to believe it is so low in cost.

1) Low self noise
2) Nicely built for the price
3) Sensitive
4) Clean pure sound which is easy to then post process
5) Robust
6) Three way polar pattern controller works well
7) Cardioid has been off axis rejection

I put a cheep wind shield over it and for my work the poping went away.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Microphone at a great price, 13 Feb 2013
This review is from: Behringer C-3 Studio Condenser Microphones (Electronics)
This is a very good microphone. t is a condenser Microphone so also requires a Phantom power supply.or a few extra pounds it provides 3 different capture settings rather than the 1 of the C-1.
In each mode the capture is excellent compared to a dynamic microphone. Many people compare this microphone to much more expensive microphones and rubbish it. I would agree, but price per performance is excellent. Comparing this microphone with others in its class it wins hands down.. It was good enough that I bought another for my home sound studio.
I largely do voice recording with this mic, and for this task it performs amazingly well. In use it is well worth using a pop filter, and this really does improve its response.
This microphone is designed to work on a stand only and a shock absorbing microphone stand does make the difference.
If you want a fantastic microphone with a name then you have to pay the price. If you want a very good microphone at a budget price then this is the one to get started with.

4.0 out of 5 stars C3 PO, 1 Oct 2012
Paul Sampson (Newcastle upon Tyne, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Behringer C-3 Studio Condenser Microphones (Electronics)
The audio-colour, as you might expect, is almost identical to that of the Behringer C-1 Studio Condenser Microphone which I also have and which I use for speech. The C-3 is a little more expensive, doubtless due to the extra element. This gives figure-8 (untried) and omni (experimented with) capture fields. The omni will pick up my machine noise at the same gain setting I use for cardioid (which effectively eliminates my machine's earprint) but the microphone's positioning would be different for such a use anyway, so I'd imagine it would be fine for real. Either will sit very nicely in a Samson SP01 Shock Mount.

I'm not convinced it is ideal for an instrument (such as an enthusiastically played tenor recorder) however, since you'd tend to wander out of its field whilst playing (though obviously less so if sitting down with a guitar or something). I find - with my quiet voice - it needs pretty much all of the input gain on the mixer. But that's OK since it's close to noiseless and very clear sounding. You can go wild and really pop your peas and bees - this will show up in your mix and you might want to invest in a deplosivating desensitisation device (or pop screen). Or you could let a compressor take the strain. But if you speak normally, about a couple of inches away (with the aforementioned gain cranked up) you'll likely be able to do without either. A singer with a real voice, singing from the diaphragm, will get by with much less gain (though probably similar compression) with a consequent increase in the room-to-play-in department, gainwise.

Note that the stock picture isn't showing the two extra (low and 10dB cut) switches on the 'front' (the side you'd speak into on cardioid) above and to either side of the red 48V phantom light. The cardi-omni-eight switch is on the 'back' (the other half in figure-eight mode).

By the way - the PO in the title of this review stands, of course, for 'please order'. For the price I don't see how you can go wrong, assuming it arrives in QC condition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Budget Large Diaphragm Microphone, 9 July 2009
A. H. Walker - See all my reviews
This review is from: Behringer C-3 Studio Condenser Microphones (Electronics)
I was looking for a condenser microphone to record studio vocals and acoustic guitar/mandolin/harmonica/dobro/banjo for my bluegrass trio.

After a little research, it seems that a large diaphragm condenser is the way to go. I'm very pleased with the Behringer C-3. It's very natural sounding and sensitive enough to pick up the nuances of a vocal or acoustic instrument.

Be aware that it is vulnerable to popping from 'p' and 'b' sounds so use a pop screen for vocals.

It has a three way switch to select from straight ahead, all around or front and back pick-up. Very useful for recording 2 singers opposite each other for harmony singing or for hanging from the ceiling to pick up an "in the round" recording.

Very high quality construction and it comes with a padded box for protection when transporting it around.

All in all, for the money it's hard to beat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Behringer C-3 - a quality bargain, 17 Nov 2012
This review is from: Behringer C-3 Studio Condenser Microphones (Electronics)
I recently bought a Behringer C-3 microphone ostensibly on the basis of the reviews at Amazon. I have not been disappointed and my band mates have also been very impressed. I bought it to try out as an affordable single mic solution with a small PA to re-inforce vocals in our acoustic string band. The first time out we found it re-inforced our whole sound, with very little in the way of feedback problems. We plugged it through a mic pre-amp/Phantom power unit (M-Audio 2 channel Audio-Buddy) and used a shock mount. We have also tried the mount included with the mic, which was fine and ideal for emergencies (who forgot the shock mount!). The sound reproduction with this set up is excellent - warm and realistic, which is just what we wanted, though a decent pre-amp is required. Another reason for buying this product is the pattern and filter switching, which were not available on a more expensive recording mic that we have tried. Here, the C-3 offers a good degree of flexibility, depending on the details of the situation we find ourselves in.

The Behringer C-3 is well built and well presented, being complete with a bespoke mount and hard plastic foam lined case. It represents excellent value. The product came with an instruction manual in any language but English, so there's an opportunity to brush up on your Spanish or French. The English version is available here:

[...]

4.0 out of 5 stars MICROPHONE, 6 Jan 2012
This review is from: Behringer C-3 Studio Condenser Microphones (Electronics)
VERY HAPPY WITH THIS ITEM.PERFECT FOR HOME RECORDING.I WOULD RECOMEND THIS ITEM TO ANY ONE NEEDED A LOW COST BUT VERY GOOD QUALITY CONDENSER MICRPOHONE.BUT REMMBER YOU NEED A PHANTOM POWER UNIT THEY COST AS LITTLE AS £40.Behringer C-3 Studio Condenser Microphones

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, 12 Nov 2013
This review is from: Behringer C-3 Studio Condenser Microphones (Electronics)
Highly recommend this microphone for the price, depending on what you want this for. I use this for recording acoustic guitar. friend has used this for vocals and is very clear and picks up very well. Its not the best condenser but to be honest for if you are starting out recording then i do recommend this. If you are not sure it is worth checking out demos on youtube etc...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality and value, 5 April 2013
This review is from: Behringer C-3 Studio Condenser Microphones (Electronics)
I have an Audio Technica Studio microphone which cost three time this price. To be honest I cannot detect a difference in quality of recording. I have a pretty good "amateur" studio and it's nice to have a mic you don't have to worry about when visitors use the studio. I use AKG condenser mics too and again the quality is pleasingly comparable.
The build is sturdy and robust and it comes in a nice padded case. Well worth the money

4.0 out of 5 stars Behringer C3 mic, 8 Nov 2012
This review is from: Behringer C-3 Studio Condenser Microphones (Electronics)
This product is adequate for what i wanted it for and has proved to be a very good vocal and room mic. The resulting recordings are very clear and i'm happy with my purchase. I'm considering getting another couple to mic up a drumkit.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›