5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent
I use this as a back up to my butane lighter while backpacking and camping. It has proved invaluable on several occasions when the butane lighter failed.
Published on 25 Feb 2009 by AHW Rea

2.0 out of 5 stars Go for the thicker one ..
I thought I'd save a few pounds by getting this one, as ever a mistake - should have gone and spent 2 quid more buying the 'army' version over this 'scout' version, .

Published on 17 Dec 2010 by mickyDinn

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 25 Feb 2009
AHW Rea "Slioch" (Cumbria, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Magfire Fire Starter (Sports)
There is a bit of a knack to getting the maximum amount of sparks, but this is easily mastered. The best thing about the fire starter is that it works in any weather conditions [although in very strong winds you need to form some sort of small shelter for your tinder]. You do need dry tinder to ignite with the sparks-I carry a small tin of Maya Dust [available from most outdoor shops] which does the trick admirably.
The item is lightweight but practically indestructible and fits neatly into the bottom of a rucksack. I strongly recommend this fire starter.

2.0 out of 5 stars Go for the thicker one .., 17 Dec 2010
This review is from: Magfire Fire Starter (Sports)

Bought in July 10, it wore through and broke by Nov 10 - and not a vast amount of use tbh, the thicker 'army' versions on amazon last me years! so for an extra 2 quid I won't make the mistake of buying one of these again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and Effective Fire Starter, 8 April 2010
Nick Flynn "NickF" (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Magfire Fire Starter (Sports)
This is an excellent and very effective spark maker ... and combined with a bit of dry tinder (cotton wool or old man's beard) are easy an light to carry.

I'm no hair shirt camper, and will always carry matches and a lighter, but have on more than a few occasions resorted to the Magfire.

It would be mean to mark it down on the scraper ... but I prefer to use a blade to give me a better grip (especially when using gloves).

All in all, an essential bit of kit that goes everywhere with me

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product for outdoor..., 11 Feb 2009
Y. Hasoglu - See all my reviews
This review is from: Magfire Fire Starter (Sports)
This product work very well. only you need to have dry tree bark or some fine, flufy tree pieces to start the fire and than you can add the small sticks and woods to build up your fire. It is a realy good thing to carry while walking in woodlands or while camping...

5.0 out of 5 stars This could save your life, 2 Jan 2010
This review is from: Magfire Fire Starter (Sports)
Some of my holidays include a degree of hiking off the beaten track. This fire starter will always be in my daysack alongside swiss army knife and first aid kit. I have needed to use the latter items in the past. I hope I am never in the position of needing this in an emergency, but I have confidence that it will do the job.
I tested it and it quickly ignited the a small piece of cotton wool from the first aid kit. A quick squirt of alcohol hand wash onto some kindling ignited with the second shower of sparks from this amazing bit of kit.

4.0 out of 5 stars Strike a light !!, 26 Dec 2009
This review is from: Magfire Fire Starter (Sports)
These devices are pretty much all the same. This one is no better or worse than the others.
It takes a couple of minutes to get used to it but it works pretty well, even in bad weather, even with cold hands.
Outside, you do need something which catches light easily though, dry tinder, a warm gas can gas etc.
I notice this has increased in price since I bought it, so shop around the various Amazon partners.
It is more robust than flint lighters and you can tell when it's worn out, so no surprises.
If you have a gas cooker then you should have something like this for standby, especially if you live anywhere remote.
It's no coincidence that the old definition for the First Humans was the first of the Species to start using fire!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fire Starter, 22 Jun 2009
D. Turner - See all my reviews
This review is from: Magfire Fire Starter (Sports)
I find the fire starter reletively (to matches) difficult to use. There is a technique needed to use one of these but when you get it, the fire starter can be a great buy especially for scouts - it is safe and can be used in just about any condition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fire for thought, 10 Aug 2009
Mr. Charles De Greeff (France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Magfire Fire Starter (Sports)
Well I'm no Ray mears but I have a feeling he would aprove,the 'magfire'gives out a very strong spark ,it takes about 5 minutes till you get 'The knack',if you venture fourth into the unknown this is a must have!The makers reckon you have about 33,000 lights from this exellent bit of kit so that should do most of us!To sum it up in 4 words'You cant go wrong'. Charles de Greeff(France)

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, 31 Mar 2014
This review is from: Magfire Fire Starter (Sports)
This product is easily used after a few practices. I have used other models since that are quite difficult to hold and not as comfortable to operate

4.0 out of 5 stars GOOD, 19 Feb 2011
This review is from: Magfire Fire Starter (Sports)
Good fire steel. Has a nice grip and good size steel. Striker is ok, good enough for getting some sparks and lighting very good tinder. One edge of striker is better than the other. Back of a knife or saw style striker seems to get more sparks.

Comes with anti sparking coating so make sure to get rid of that first.

A good buy.