Format: DVD|Change

on 22 August 2008
I bought this film a few months ago and can recommend it, good story to a technical film, it kinda puts you off using a computer lol, the special affects are quite cool and the acting not bad considering its people probably no one has heard of, worth a watch.
on 16 September 2012
I personally found this an excellent movie.

All the acting was up to the task without being exceptional. The story, while rather linear, was interesting enough to keep everything going, and I personally found the ending quite satisfying.

I'll fill in the gap in my knowledge by watching the original soon enough, but this IS a good movie.

It proves that horror does not merely have to need to have lots of gore, but can rely on an interesting premise. Guillermo del Toro (bet I spelt that wrong) does the interesting premise beautifully; Clive Barker movies can do both.

Well worth a watch.
on 21 May 2007
This is a creepy thriller/horror that tells the tale of how the internet (something we use to connect us to each other) ended up connecting us to other forces. It doesn't seems to become clear while watching the movie just what these forces are but they suck the life out of people leaving them with no will to survive, stripping them of their soul almost.

Eventually people who fall prey to these forces start killing themselves and there becomes a kind of hysteria in the town and people think it may be some kind of suicide chain. Mattie (Kristen Bell) witnesses her boyfriend go through these changes and then kill himself. His computer is sold and after receiving emails from her dead boyfriend she tracks the new owner of the computer down which brings her to Dex (Ian Somerhalder).

The pair become the main characters of the film while the others are picked off one by one by these forces which appear as ghost-like powerful visions. This means quite a few jumpy/tense moments with some rather good scenes. It's almost like a horror but more of a creepy thriller.

The film is filmed through a kind of blue filter and the buildings and scenery is very dark and hard. The acting isn't too bad here from all characters but there is nothing majorly special.

If you like horror-style movies without gore and lots of shocks then you'll probably enjoy this film. It only made me jump maybe a couple of times and I do scare quite easily. Personally it went on a little too long and didn't have a great ending, it kind of dissapointed and looked all set up for a sequel. I'd give it a 3/5.
The title notwithstanding, this film barely has a pulse of its own. What should have been an exciting thriller somehow comes across as one of the most boring apocalyptic films I've ever seen. The writers and directors were totally focused on the characters fighting to keep their wills to live from being sucked right out of their bodies - but what about my will to live? As a viewer, I was fighting to survive, as well. With electronic ghosts of ill-defined boredom closing in on me with each passing minute and a maze of loose ends to navigate along my way, I consider myself lucky to have come out the other side with my sanity intact.

So, what is this Pulse, anyway? Well, if you don't know, the movie surely isn't going to tell you - not until you're closing in on the end of it, anyway. By then, you won't even care. Sealing yourself in a small area with red tape keeps the pulse out, though, for what it's worth. Personally, I didn't have a problem with the pulse - not as long as it kept eliminating such uninteresting characters as you'll find littering this film. The most comatose of the bunch is Josh (Jonathan Tucker), the dumb hacker who manages to unleash this whole business on the world in the first place. Mattie (Kristen Bell) could use some serious training in the art of applying mascara, but you still wouldn't think the girl would be hard up enough to actually like this dweeb. Through the magic of cyberspace, Josh can't stop being annoying even in death, which leads Mattie and her gang of college buddies into this whole pulse business. Then, before you can say Bob's your uncle, the whole world is full of people either missing or walking around as empty shells of themselves (which actually sounds a lot like real life, come to think of it). So - you guessed it - it's up to Mattie and her new hacker friend to basically save the world.

But how do you stop the pulse, especially when no one in the movie has really bothered to explain just what the heck it is, anyway? Ah, there's the rub. The writers, I'm sad to say, decide to take the easy way out, so don't plan on a wham bam ending to come along and suddenly make you want to stand up and cheer. They don't even bother to address one of the seemingly important secondary plot points they kept bringing up all through the film. Why introduce something into a film on several occasions if you aren't going to follow up on it at all?

Pulse is a sad case of the "if you can't beat them, remake them syndrome" sweeping Hollywood in the last few years. In this case, even Wes Craven seems to recognize the fact that Asian horror is far superior to American horror. I haven't seen the Asian film that Pulse was based on, but it had to have a stronger story that this film did. Hollywood tends to grab an Asian film, disembowel it of all its juicy story goodness (substituting a hefty helping of CGI effects in its place), and expect it to be a success. Maybe someday they'll all figure out that this strategy just doesn't work. No matter how spiffy the CGI is, Pulse's special effects still cry "The Ring" in most viewers' ears. Let me completely doom this movie's prospects for you by comparing it to Fear Dot Com - remember how awful that movie was and how completely let down you felt after watching that trainwreck of a film? You're going to feel the same way about Pulse. Enough said.
on 24 November 2013
PULSE is the Hollywood remake of the Japanese horror film, KAIRO, and is relatively faithful to the source material. (The original was shot after RINGU but before JU-ON: THE GRUDGE, although here there is an absence of crawling, long-haired ghosts!)

The plot is relatively simple. Research into the use of super-wide band communications frequencies has allowed dead monstrosities to enter our world through electronic devices such as cell-phones and computers. Their desire is to regain what they have lost - life! Contact with these creatures turns ordinary people into lifeless shells who, over time, are reduced to piles of ashes. Beforehand victims suffer excruciating pain as bruises appear on their bodies and many turn to suicide to end their agony. Nobody is safe and as the terrible phenomenon spreads rapidly around the globe, travelling on the airwaves, society deteriorates and order collapses.

Although by no means a bad film, the problem with PULSE is that it offers nothing new to the horror genre and is pretty standard fare. Influences seem to have come from other works including THE DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS (especially the bleak ending!), THE INVASION OF THE BODYSNATCHERS and the more recent Michael Keaton film on a similar subject, WHITE NOISE.

To the film's credit, the (mainly) young cast do well and the special effects are very good, even if not unique. There are a couple of jump-out-of-your-seat moments, too, and the film is entertaining - just do not expect it to revolutionise the celluloid horror scene.

Special Features on the disc include the original theatrical trailer plus a documentary with the Director, special makeup effects designer and two producers. There are also three short but interesting featurettes and numerous deleted scenes as well as an alternate ending, all of which add nicely to the overall viewing experience.

To sum up, PULSE may not be an essential purchase but at least it proves that not every Hollywood remake is a complete disaster if handled correctly!
on 14 November 2012
I just recently found out that this film is a remake (as a German, when I come to two realizations, namely: 1) the english speaking world's inability to dub movies and 2) the fact that they have so much money lying around that they simply decide to make a full english sequel instead, I know I dont want to live on this planet anymore, but that is a whole different issue. ANYWAY)

I came across this movie almost on happenstance, as it had just begun on tv, and thus, missed nothing. When the movie ended, I was deeply impressed. Let me explain my impressions:

I knew from the beginning that this was going to be a horror movie of some sorts, and so, was initially disappointed when it focussed too much on the concept of the modern world's increasing dependancy on communication devices, whether it be computers, tablets, mobile phones or what have you, and the one thing that connects them all, the internet. The cinematography was also quite depressing, with much of the movie almost shot in greyscale and a bleak environmental palette, run-down and shabby apartments, etc. Couple that with the mysterious suicides and a touch of an undead virus like thing and my disappointment turned to curiosity.

Soon, I was completely hooked. The film very slowly and very carefully builds up a really otherworldly atmosphere - this isn't a movie about aliens, zombies, elves or whatever product of fantasy-land may come to your mind - no, you find yourself looking almost at a mirror of the real world. And yet, it is so otherworldly, almost like you are looking into a parallel dimension where everything is so bleak and greyscale....I found this type of cinematography fascinating and it is probably the best part of the whole film.

As the film progresses, I began to feel as if whatever color was left was drained away more and more - just like the will to live is drained away from the protagonists by the creatures that have been unleashed. I also found the concept of these foes unleashed through the communication network and how suddenly this makes us very, very, very vulnerable in a city, to be very frightening.

The film gets better and better as it progresses, at one point even bringing about a post-apocalyptic cityscape and a desperate race to the heart of darkness to destroy the foe...but the ending "aka Plan B", somehow makes the previous efforts of our heroes questionable at the end of the day, because it is left in the dark whether they were fruitful or not, and I think they could have gone with Plan B from the beginning itself.

The film throws up many questions at the confusing ending, but overall, I would definitely recommend it for people who like depressing atmospheres and suspense and want to watch something strangely familiar, yet otherworldly at the same time.
on 28 November 2011
Never heard of this film before I saw it in my local DVD store, but was interested by the synopsis on the back. Its basically your regular horror movie at first, with the twist being the ghosts get you through electronic gadgetry (mobile phones, laptops etc). But half-way through turns into a completely different film, instead of generic killing the cast of one by one, it morphs into an apocalyptic film and much better for it. I started off being bored and wondering why I had wasted £12 but ended up at the end of the movie utterly thrilled.
on 6 January 2015
I watched this on a lazy afternoon off work ... i am a horror fan and wasn't expecting much from this film as it's rated 15 ... but i was surprisingly pleased with it's story line and acting. Hey ... i'm not saying it's Great but i didn't fall asleep and found it quite interesting.
The 'Grabbing Hands' scene was Eerie and really well shot.

I will probably hire the Original which i think was Japanese as that may be scarier.

I wouldn't hire this again but if it were on TV i would watch it again!
on 7 August 2010
The main thing that I think of when remembering this film is the atmosphere. The direction, combined with the photograpy, make sure that the feeling is one of downbeat fear and dread. As our heroes realise that something they can't see is triggering an abnormal spike in bizarre deaths, they try to find out what it is before the disturbing phenomenon can spread any faster.
With this remake script of the Japanese original co-written by Wes Craven, it's unusual that this film doesn't veer towards one of his normal extremes of brutal savagery or camp comedy. About the only fingerprints that he leaves are with the social commentary, which was aleady an integral part of the tale, re- the media.
I found this actually worked very well as a horror for two reasons: The heavy atmosphere of downbeat despair from the victims before their demise was chillingly potrayed. And when the bad guys are revealed, and their methods of attack made clear, they're very frightening and intimidating with a real seige atmosphere kicking in.
It's VERY bleak, depressing and dark, but it's also well done and memorable. Not all horror should have a chirpy or jumpy ending. This doesn't.
on 4 March 2008
Possibly the least scary horror film I have ever seen. After about 20 minutes I was ready to turn it off, but I thought, I've paid for it, I may as well watch it. That was a mistake on two counts. The script was awful, embarrassingly so in places, and I think they could've put a baseball cap on a chimpanzee and it would've done a better job in the directors chair.

How anyone can give this this stink anything but 1 star is beyond me. (I think 1 star is generous, but I can't give zero. If I could, I would)
If anyone was actually scared by this, I think you possibly have some kind of nervous disorder.

Another reviewer stated it's about as scary as Scooby Doo. I'd go along with that. The acting was better in Scooby Doo though.

Pathetic beyond belief.