5.0 out of 5 stars good movie
I bought this film a few months ago and can recommend it, good story to a technical film, it kinda puts you off using a computer lol, the special affects are quite cool and the acting not bad considering its people probably no one has heard of, worth a watch.
Published on 22 Aug 2008 by Wmanson

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth a look if you like creepy thrillers
This is a creepy thriller/horror that tells the tale of how the internet (something we use to connect us to each other) ended up connecting us to other forces. It doesn't seems to become clear while watching the movie just what these forces are but they suck the life out of people leaving them with no will to survive, stripping them of their soul almost...
Published on 21 May 2007 by BritReader

5.0 out of 5 stars good movie, 22 Aug 2008
Wmanson "William S Manson" (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth a look if you like creepy thrillers, 21 May 2007
This review is from: Pulse [DVD] (DVD)

Eventually people who fall prey to these forces start killing themselves and there becomes a kind of hysteria in the town and people think it may be some kind of suicide chain. Mattie (Kristen Bell) witnesses her boyfriend go through these changes and then kill himself. His computer is sold and after receiving emails from her dead boyfriend she tracks the new owner of the computer down which brings her to Dex (Ian Somerhalder).

The pair become the main characters of the film while the others are picked off one by one by these forces which appear as ghost-like powerful visions. This means quite a few jumpy/tense moments with some rather good scenes. It's almost like a horror but more of a creepy thriller.

The film is filmed through a kind of blue filter and the buildings and scenery is very dark and hard. The acting isn't too bad here from all characters but there is nothing majorly special.

If you like horror-style movies without gore and lots of shocks then you'll probably enjoy this film. It only made me jump maybe a couple of times and I do scare quite easily. Personally it went on a little too long and didn't have a great ending, it kind of dissapointed and looked all set up for a sequel. I'd give it a 3/5.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really Refreshing, 16 Sep 2012
This review is from: Pulse [DVD] (DVD)
I personally found this an excellent movie.

All the acting was up to the task without being exceptional. The story, while rather linear, was interesting enough to keep everything going, and I personally found the ending quite satisfying.

I'll fill in the gap in my knowledge by watching the original soon enough, but this IS a good movie.

It proves that horror does not merely have to need to have lots of gore, but can rely on an interesting premise. Guillermo del Toro (bet I spelt that wrong) does the interesting premise beautifully; Clive Barker movies can do both.

Well worth a watch.

2.0 out of 5 stars This pulse is decidedly weak and thready, 17 Mar 2008
Daniel Jolley "darkgenius" (Shelby, North Carolina USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Pulse [DVD] (DVD)
The title notwithstanding, this film barely has a pulse of its own. What should have been an exciting thriller somehow comes across as one of the most boring apocalyptic films I've ever seen. The writers and directors were totally focused on the characters fighting to keep their wills to live from being sucked right out of their bodies - but what about my will to live? As a viewer, I was fighting to survive, as well. With electronic ghosts of ill-defined boredom closing in on me with each passing minute and a maze of loose ends to navigate along my way, I consider myself lucky to have come out the other side with my sanity intact.

So, what is this Pulse, anyway? Well, if you don't know, the movie surely isn't going to tell you - not until you're closing in on the end of it, anyway. By then, you won't even care. Sealing yourself in a small area with red tape keeps the pulse out, though, for what it's worth. Personally, I didn't have a problem with the pulse - not as long as it kept eliminating such uninteresting characters as you'll find littering this film. The most comatose of the bunch is Josh (Jonathan Tucker), the dumb hacker who manages to unleash this whole business on the world in the first place. Mattie (Kristen Bell) could use some serious training in the art of applying mascara, but you still wouldn't think the girl would be hard up enough to actually like this dweeb. Through the magic of cyberspace, Josh can't stop being annoying even in death, which leads Mattie and her gang of college buddies into this whole pulse business. Then, before you can say Bob's your uncle, the whole world is full of people either missing or walking around as empty shells of themselves (which actually sounds a lot like real life, come to think of it). So - you guessed it - it's up to Mattie and her new hacker friend to basically save the world.

But how do you stop the pulse, especially when no one in the movie has really bothered to explain just what the heck it is, anyway? Ah, there's the rub. The writers, I'm sad to say, decide to take the easy way out, so don't plan on a wham bam ending to come along and suddenly make you want to stand up and cheer. They don't even bother to address one of the seemingly important secondary plot points they kept bringing up all through the film. Why introduce something into a film on several occasions if you aren't going to follow up on it at all?

Pulse is a sad case of the "if you can't beat them, remake them syndrome" sweeping Hollywood in the last few years. In this case, even Wes Craven seems to recognize the fact that Asian horror is far superior to American horror. I haven't seen the Asian film that Pulse was based on, but it had to have a stronger story that this film did. Hollywood tends to grab an Asian film, disembowel it of all its juicy story goodness (substituting a hefty helping of CGI effects in its place), and expect it to be a success. Maybe someday they'll all figure out that this strategy just doesn't work. No matter how spiffy the CGI is, Pulse's special effects still cry "The Ring" in most viewers' ears. Let me completely doom this movie's prospects for you by comparing it to Fear Dot Com - remember how awful that movie was and how completely let down you felt after watching that trainwreck of a film? You're going to feel the same way about Pulse. Enough said.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pulse, 28 Nov 2011
This review is from: Pulse [DVD] (DVD)
Never heard of this film before I saw it in my local DVD store, but was interested by the synopsis on the back. Its basically your regular horror movie at first, with the twist being the ghosts get you through electronic gadgetry (mobile phones, laptops etc). But half-way through turns into a completely different film, instead of generic killing the cast of one by one, it morphs into an apocalyptic film and much better for it. I started off being bored and wondering why I had wasted £12 but ended up at the end of the movie utterly thrilled.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ooo, scary.... NOT!!!!, 4 Jan 2009
This review is from: Pulse [DVD] (DVD)
It started off pretty decently enough, but then, most of these Hollywood-type remakes often do, though after a while, it becomes clear that they are trying too hard. The film-makers have obviously missed the point of the original film, which you can very easily tell when watching this remake, they have tried to expand on the original, to over simplify things and in doing so, have ruined the chill factor and made the movie... rather standard!

Don't be confused about the number of stars I have given this in my review, that is for the DVD itself, e.g. the extras and so-on, I actually rate this movie at about one star.. one and a half stars if I am in a generous mood!

This is one movie, that you should rent once, then buy the Japanese original (if you already haven't), as there is more scare to it, than this lame attempt to better it!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful. Another Asian film remade and ruined by the Americans, 4 Mar 2008
This review is from: Pulse [DVD] (DVD)
Possibly the least scary horror film I have ever seen. After about 20 minutes I was ready to turn it off, but I thought, I've paid for it, I may as well watch it. That was a mistake on two counts. The script was awful, embarrassingly so in places, and I think they could've put a baseball cap on a chimpanzee and it would've done a better job in the directors chair.

How anyone can give this this stink anything but 1 star is beyond me. (I think 1 star is generous, but I can't give zero. If I could, I would)
If anyone was actually scared by this, I think you possibly have some kind of nervous disorder.

Another reviewer stated it's about as scary as Scooby Doo. I'd go along with that. The acting was better in Scooby Doo though.

Pathetic beyond belief.

Buy something else.

Anything else.

4.0 out of 5 stars A generous 4 star rating, but not a bad film., 16 April 2007
Mr. S. Dennis "stevedee77" (Swansea) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pulse [DVD] (DVD)
Ok, first things first, this isn't really a horror film in the truest sense of what a horror film encapsulates, but more of an unsettling, creepy, thought provoking thriller that has elements of the anxious, fear inducing suspense that a horror film would have. I must admit, that the trailer is a little misleading and the film wasn't entirely what I was expecting, but in some respects I was actually pleased about that.

Personally, I thought the visual element of the film was brilliant. Shot at times through a murky, gloomy blue hue, it brings a mood to the film that for me just heightened the sense of doom and depression that plays its part in the storyline.

The storyline itself is, to be honest, a little far fetched and required a fair bit of suspending the disbelief, however I still found the story intruiging and really liked the idea of demons using the technology that our world so heavily depends upon to suck the soul and will to live out of their victims.

I wouldn't say there were moments where I really jumped, however throughout the film there is a really uncomfortable atmosphere and tension which kept me on edge and heightened my sense of anxiety all the way through in a similar way to how "The Ring" did.

There were parts towards the end of the film which started to get me a bit lost and confused and almost had me thinking "Oh no, its not going to start getting silly and make no sense is it?" but it held it together enough to leave me feeling satisfied and relieved that it hadn't gone way over the top with some big gory climactic finale like most horror films do (hence why, in its purest form, I wouldn't class this as a horror film).

Overall, I gave this a 4 star rating, but its probably nearer 3 in fairness, however its the kind of film I'd want to watch again and probably pick up on something I missed first time around. I can understand why people would feel disappointed with this film because of the misleading expectations the trailer gives, but personally I enjoyed it. I didn't think the acting was at all bad, although there was one instance of some really awful overacting by the actor who played Douglas Zieglar, which I admit really was terrible.

2.0 out of 5 stars Slightly missed the eek!, 9 Mar 2008
This review is from: Pulse [DVD] (DVD)
As scarey films go this is about as scarey as a basket of dirty laundry. The plot holes are huge and somethings are never explained. People do stupid things for no reason and there's the usual entering dark rooms without turning the light on, etc.
All in all the story had such promise but the execution lacked any kind of talent, relying on clever camera filters and shaky cam to provide suspense. Give it a miss would be my recommendation - unless I've missed the eek, sorry point.

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good, 13 Jan 2008
This review is from: Pulse [DVD] (DVD)
I had pretty low expectations for Pulse, based on a number of the other reviews. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by how good it was. The premise behind it seems like total nonsense, but it was well done and had some decent characters in it. Certainly worth watching if only so you can make your own mind up on it.

Pulse [DVD]
Pulse [DVD] by Jim Sonzero (DVD - 2007)