5.0 out of 5 stars Former sceptic now sold ...
I purchased this product despite having had some previous scepticism regarding these protein shakes.

Published 13 months ago by Belle Noir

3.0 out of 5 stars Too sweet!!!
I ordered this flavour but not keen on it at all. I tried two scoops as recommended with the right amount of water and it was dreadfully thick and the sweet saccharin taste was too much. I am using it as I bought 2kilos but use only one scoop. I can't physically drink 2 scoops. However, it does the required job so rating it purely on that basis. I have ordered the choc...
Published 10 months ago by Suzi

5.0 out of 5 stars Former sceptic now sold ..., 10 April 2014
Belle Noir (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

My primary reason for finally purchasing was as a weight loss 'companion'. I am not using Phd to try and reduce my calories, but as a nutritional supplement/meal replacement, given that when you are trying to lose weight on a controlled calorie diet, it can be difficult to consume the amount of protein that you need. I use 'myfitnesspal' to count calories and to provide me with guidelines as to the amount of carbs, fat, protein which I should be consuming each day. Thanks to Phd, I am finally meeting my 'target' where protein is concerned.

My first shake I consumed with water. Big mistake (one that almost put me off having any more shakes!), it is much MUCH tastier when taken with skimmed milk (or, soy milk, possibly). With water alone I found the taste unpleasant.

For my first order, I chose the vanilla creme - a good call. I have since tried a few other flavours and below is my personal assessment of them:

1) Vanilla creme - 9/10 - the best so far - tastes like vanilla custard, or vanilla cheesecake in my husband's opinion.
2) Strawberry - 8/10 - another good one and revives childhood memories of strawberry angel delight!
3) Belgian chocolate - 5/10 - something of a disappointment, the flavour is bland, not very chocolatey and not as good as the above two flavours, in my opinion. It also appears more difficult to mix - lumps occur more frequently. I wouldn't purchase this particular flavour again.

I have yet to try the white choc and choc orange flavours.

It has to be said that ALL flavours taste sweet, having plenty of sweetener added. I notice that where negative feedback on this product is left, the majority is from those who apparently do not have a sweet tooth. If this is you then perhaps you may wish to look for unsweetened alternatives.

Others have left negative feedback claiming that the shakes are too gritty, that it is 'like drinking sand', etc. I personally have not found this to be the case, but then again I have been in the habit of giving my shakes 10 mins or so to 'settle' after mixing, before I drink them. I am convinced that this results in a thicker, smoother shake than would otherwise be the case. However, for those who can only tolerate shakes with a perfectly smooth consistency, it may be wise to bypass this particular product, as no matter how vigorous the shaking or prolonged the settling time, some small particles will remain.

The total calories of a two scoop shake with 300ml skimmed milk (I like my shakes slightly thicker than the recommended 350mls) is still only 287kcals - based on the vanilla creme.

As I said above - I use Phd as a meal replacement (for lunch), as opposed to having e.g. sandwich/salad/soup - which by and large would be approximately the same calories. The advantage (aside from the nutritional values) which Phd has over soup or sandwiches, is that it is slow to metabolise. To my surprise, this one shake keeps me going until teatime - I have no hunger or lack of energy with it ... which I could not have said in respect of any of the generic 'meal replacement' shakes on the market.

In terms of preparation, when packing for lunch in the morning, it could not be easier. I just place 2 scoops of shake powder into a small tupperware container, grab my Phd shaker, and go.

At lunch, I pour 300ml of skimmed milk into the shaker, then add the shake powder (whatever you do ... don't add powder then milk, or it will stick in clumps to the bottom of your shaker). Screw on the lid tightly, shake very vigorously for around 30secs or so (good exercise) et voila, a delicious tasting shake is yours. No more worrying about what to make for a packed lunch in the morning.

In terms of weight loss ...well as I have said above, it is helping keep hunger pangs at bay, and I have lost a stone as a result. Unexpectedly, my skin is in significantly better condition - much more so than on previous diets, so better diet alone probably does not account for that.

According to my Withings scales, I have slightly more lean mass than the last time I was at my current weight, so perhaps Phd is helping with that, but even if not, I'm sold on its other benefits.

This former sceptic has been convinced, and will return to buy more.

5.0 out of 5 stars To be fair..., 23 Aug. 2013
this is a great product. It tastes lovely - especially if you mix it with milk. I put a bit of extra flaxseed in it and it's a nice breakfast. Tastes like a MacDonalds vanilla milkshake. I don't have a six pack yet, but I'm guessing that's because I think about going to the gym a lot more than I actually go.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must if you can do the "shake diet", 25 Jan. 2015
I am am on calorie counting weight loss system using my fitness pal started using slim fast or the supermarkets own brand, but they are high in sugar (but a good place to start to see if you can so the "Shake's"), moved on to this and it tastes great and the weight keeps dropping off will be buying again

5.0 out of 5 stars good for a newbie like me, 9 Feb. 2015
Im a newbie to protein supplements, but his tastes so good. I got the white chocolate flavour, it tastes almost vanilla though. I actually crave it some times, but dear god, don't have it with mil. I gagged. Water is the way forward. I'm a dude and I'm almost on my way to chiseling my abs

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, 29 April 2014
Does the job. If used while working out regularly - you will achieve the results. It took me about 2 months to see the results on the weighing scale.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, "diet" does mean diet, 27 Jan. 2015
This review is from: PhD Diet Whey High Protein Lean Matrix - Belgian Chocolate Flavour - 2kg (Personal Care)
You can't beat this product if you have no desire to increase body mass by way of extra calories, yet need the protein to repair muscle micro tears. I am a tall, large build person, and this really helped to build muscle mass, whilst preventing my proneness to putting weight on needlessly. PhD is a market leader in health products, and I felt great whilst taking this regularly. FYI, I took no other supplements, and kept to a regular sensible(ish :>) diet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just like a strawberry milkshake to taste, 2 May 2015
Very enjoyable! Just like a strawberry milkshake to taste! Not like others I have tried! Meets all expectations!

4.0 out of 5 stars tasted good, 28 July 2013
bronagh (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Nice protein, just remember to put your milk or water in your shaker first as it may stick to the bottom.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Flavour and Taste, 28 May 2015
New to the world of protein supplements, I did a bit of research on the internet and decided to buy this product. I'm trying to lose some weight, so I thought this might help to do that along with my gym regime. I also bought the shaker/mixer made by the same company. I have to say, I'm impressed with the product after a couple of weeks of taking 2 shakes a day. I feel like I've lost some weight already, as the product does make you feel full up for quite a while, hence no food cravings or nibbles. I like the taste, the vanilla flavour is much akin to the flavour of a Macdonalds' milk shake. I don't find the product gritty at all, as I read in some other reviews, depends how long you shake it up, I guess? I'll be trying out their other flavours soon. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars This powder mixes easily even if shook by hand for a few seconds ..., 24 July 2014
Ignore the trolls! This powder mixes easily even if shook by hand for a few seconds in a sealed top container. Its tastes delicious and is a very cheap source of protein, when compared to other ways of obtaining 34 grams from food, never mind the hard work consuming the amount of food necessary. In combination with weight training and a healthy eating plan I have lost 2 stones in 9 weeks and shaping up beyond my expectations even at the age of 67. At less than a £1 for 34grms of protein I will be using this here- on as part of my daily diet and consider it a part of my weekly food bill. ps: put water in container first and then the powder