1,655
Format: Personal Care|Change

on 21 February 2004
This is a great shaving system. I used to get bad shavers rashes when using all the other well-known branded razors and shaving foams (even the sensitibe ones). The Braun shaver and these refils are extremely clean and hygenic, leaving my face and neck with a lovely soft feeling. One refil lasts about 2.5 months and after the initial investment in the shaver & kit, it's a really economical way of achieving what I see as the closest, clreanest shave available.
11 comment| 78 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
These clean & refill cartridges are for use in what I think is a very effective cleaning system. I use them with my Braun 8985 shaver and I'm always impressed at not only the standard of the clean (pop the foil off the shaver after a cleaning cycle and it's virtually spotless inside) but also how it makes the shaver smell, look and feel. Not only does the cycle leave the cutter and foil clean and smelling fresh, it lubricates the cutting head by just the right amount and really does improve the standard of the cut by a large margin. Fail to clean the shaver once and the next time you use it, it will seem to produce both an inferior, and less hygienic, cut.

I get about 6 weeks' use out of each refill and they work out at around £3.75 or so each. This is more than I was paying for razor blades, but for environmental concerns more than cost I try to go a bit careful on the frequency of cleaning cycles, perhaps one every other day. Braun say that the refills are safe to throw out with the household rubbish, and there is no doubt that the shaver works much better when clean, but throwing away this much plastic seems a bit of a waste these days.

One word of caution, albeit a minor one, is that the very tip of the shaver body gets coated in solution during the cleaning process, and if you don't clean the body after each clean it can get discoloured very quickly. A wipe over with the tip of a damp towel soon sorts this out, although it is a bit of a pain having to remember to do it each time.

To sum up, I really would miss the system if I had to use more conventional means to keep the cutting head free of accumulated muck; it cleans better and is more convenient than cleaning the shaver manually. All in all, a solid four stars for a good product, missing out on five only because of the cost of refills - after all, how much can it cost Braun to produce a lump of plastic filled with a bit of liquid?
11 comment| 69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 October 2010
Though this is an added expense to shaving its use does improve the skin condition. With daily use the full pack lasts me about three months. I would recommend it to all interested in getting the best shaving experience.
on 26 January 2015
A number of people mentioned only using the cleaning system 'every other day or so' to save on cleaning fluid, but for me using this every day makes a real difference to the quality of the shave (it's closer, my skin feels more lubricated and the smell is nicer) so I'm not going to skimp.

The quality is exactly the same as the one supplied with the shaver, including the nice lemony smell and the packaging was very strong so everything was delivered in tip top condition.

Would suggest watching the price and buying a couple of boxes when it comes down - they're small enough to be stored pretty easily until you need them.
on 17 June 2013
I have been using this shaver cleaners for years.It not only cleans the shaver but gets rid the smells and shavers debris, leaving pleasant smell. Recommended for use once a week cleaning.
on 12 September 2013
I have been using my Braun shaver for ten months now, and find it very good. These replacement cleaning cartridges are easy to fit into the stand and seem to give a reasonable length of service.The goods arrived on time and as required - very pleased with this.
on 21 October 2013
These are the real thing for any Braun shaver with clean and renew system and frankly I don't understand why people would go for a lot of trouble to buy the cheaper solutions for about £1 of a difference if you sign up to Amazon's subscribe and save program, I mean seriously I don't get it...

These are great, pop open the base of the shaver take the old one out, put the new one in. Done. Total time 10 seconds and no stress and you get another month of great functionality, full lubrication of the foil system and a fresh and pleasant scent.

The alternative... Well lets see... Keep a liter bottle under the sink which the wife might use to clean the toilet bye mistake, take out the cartridge from the base of the shaver and begin rinsing it and rinsing it and then rinse some more as I know for sure that those small bits of beard will not go out so easily. Fill it up with the solution that you bought and keep your fingers crossed as you fill not know for sure if it really actually lubricates your expensive shaver or it just flushes it out whit alcohol. Oh and the smell of it... Let's just say that you can forget about that nice lemon scent that you had from your first cartrige that came with your device.

You do the math, for me it was a no brainer.
on 2 March 2009
Great Little product I only use the clean unit every other day but it keeps the Braun clean and fresh and smeels good too, cartriges last well over 2 months if you empty the bits out of your Braun before cleaning.
on 19 September 2009
This product really does enhance the shaving experience with the relevant Braun Electric Razor (790cc,590cc or 390cc). The razor feels like it is brand new each and every time you use it after a session of cleaning and recharging in its base station, and the Lemon scent is quite addictive.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 15 July 2015
I purchased this in August 2014 and I'm only just using the last cartridge, albeit I only clean and charge the unit in the dock about once every 10 days or when the battery on the shaver starts to go flat. I always take off the head foil first, tap it in the sink to get out the main parts of hair, and use a small brush to clear the hair out slightly before putting it in to clean and charge. I've also struggled to find these in high street shops so to know they're available online at Amazon is great.

Strengths
- Maintains the quality of the shave
- Leaves the unit with a fresh clean smell

Weaknesses
- Just be careful when pulling the cap to open up the liquid. It's easy to flick into your eyes.

Would I recommend?
Yes. It keeps the shaver clean and is a fairly hassle-free way of cleaning.

Rating Justification:
5 for construction, 4 for design, 4 for User Interface and ease of use.