5.0 out of 5 stars Top performer
I've just purchased this to replace the original PSU in my 3 year old
Published on 3 Mar 2009 by K. L. Wren

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice product but incomplete !!
Got on time, good quality but on the advert it was mentioned that there will be a power cord which was not inside, so had to order separately, so if they clearly mention, it can save time for other people to wait and then other cable later on.
Published on 8 Nov 2010 by Sahil Sudhan

5.0 out of 5 stars Top performer, 3 Mar 2009
K. L. Wren "K L Wren" (the beautiful Wye Valley) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I've just purchased this to replace the original PSU in my 3 year old
PC. It is of a sturdy, robust construction, switched, silent as described, and I can feel by touching my PC casing that it is running much cooler than it did with its original PSU. The PSU includes far more connections than I could possibly use (for anyone unfamiliar with the names of the connectors - see my uploaded photo). I use my PC heavily for video editing and I'm not sure whether it's my imagination or wishful thinking but I'm sure my PC is running faster following upgrading the power supply.

It has surpassed expectations and I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a replacement or upgrade.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great PSU, 19 Jun 2007
Andrew Nixon (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: CIT 550W Gold 12Cm Silent Atx Power Supply (Electronics)
I just brought this PSU as an upgrade. I didn't actually know but the one I was replacing was a Colors PSU too (400w tho).

It's great, quiet as a whisper, cools the whole pc and has all the connectors you could possibly ever need for ide/sata/fdd/Mobo/CPU/PCI-E card.

All in all its bloody amazing and at the price it's going I give it top marks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Silent by name, silent by nature..., 7 July 2009
This review is from: CIT 550W Gold 12Cm Silent Atx Power Supply (Electronics)
After purchasing my new budget Zoostorm pc recently, I needed to replace the psu for something more powerful(it's only 300w)to provide for my brand-spanking-new graphics card - I didn't want to take any chances with overheating (espeically when I inevitably over-clock both my Intel duo-core E7400 cpu and Radeon HD4770 gpu!) so I reckoned that this 550w seemed up to the job.

At the time of ordering, there were 6 positive reviews on here which helped swing my decision, along with the attractive budget price. Atmittedly, I have read some shocking reviews for some of the other Colors psu models (only fair to mention that but then again, some really good reviews help make up for those!) but I thought i'll take a chance with this one at this price...and so far I have not been dissapointed:

This unit comes with just about every type of connector you could possible need for the average PC set-up (handily for me: including a 6 pin PCI-Express power connector for my new graphics card) - the main motherboard connector having a versatile 20+4 pin configuration (I use the full 24-pin option).

For the average person like me who is not espeically computer-savvy but just about gets by, fitting this psu was a doddle - I just did the obvious thing and copied how my old psu was connected (with the simple addition of sticking the 6 pin connector into my newly fitted graphics card as well). All those connectors/cables can make quite a tangle if your pc case isn't espeically roomy but a bit of perserverence and you'll be fine!

Considering I had installed two new components at the same time, I was half-expecting some sort of bug to rear it's ugly head but everything was working fine - the psu is doing it's job really well and to me, seems to be REALLY smooth-running and quiet compared to my last psu (which wasn't exactly ear-drum shattering!). On the whole, very satisfied so far - if I experience any problems with it, i'll update this review as soon as I can. So far, so(very)good! Recommended.

2.0 out of 5 stars weak candidate, 24 Nov 2010
This review is from: CIT 550W Gold 12Cm Silent Atx Power Supply (Electronics)
I assembled 4x PCs over the last years using this item. On the first look it seems good value for money. In 3 of my PCs it worked silent, in one was noisy.

My last build was 2 years ago using a Gigabyte GA-M770-UD3 + AMD5000DualCore + ATI 3650 + WD 320 GB SATA 2048 GB Memory 800Mhz - Samsung DVD drive.

After 1 I had increasing porblems with the DVD drive, which sometimes wasn't detected. Replaced it but weeks later the same happened again. Over the last 3 months my PC just stopped - black screen and rebooting - crashed my first 500 GB HD. Replaced HD - later the Motherboard. You would think a 550W PSU is sufficient for this constelation - but when I reassembled the PC and nothing worked I realized that it might be the PSU. After doublecheckeing each step, I checked the PSU with a Voltmeter - and it produced nothing. Checked it it against another PSU Gold from my older PCs. Nothing worked the Voltage on this one was low, worked only with my old Athlon2800.

Conclusion - it might be a tempting offer - but if you use it for DualCore or QuadCore with and some decent components this PSU is just to weak. I recommend going with branded PSU with a proven 20AMP output.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice product but incomplete !!, 8 Nov 2010

4.0 out of 5 stars Great PSU, 7 Feb 2010
This review is from: CIT 550W Gold 12Cm Silent Atx Power Supply (Electronics)
This is a very good PSU i only have a few problems with it, the specifications in my review are for the 550w PSU as i read a review previously that had the specifications for the 400w and below models

Pro's:
- it was well packages in plastic and the cables were not twisted together
- two SATA connectors
- one 24 pin connector able to become a 20 pin connector easily
- one 6 pin PCI-E connector
- one 4 pin + 12V connector
- one floppy connector
- four molex connectors

Cons:
- the SATA cables are connected so you need an adapter to connect most of you SATA units to the PSU
- it doesn't come with any connections pins so i was having to juggle around with the screws that came with the case

5.0 out of 5 stars Really really good for the money, 11 Nov 2009
C. Kellett (York, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: CIT 550W Gold 12Cm Silent Atx Power Supply (Electronics)
After an extensive look on the internet this is THE cheapest PSU you can get which will power gaming rigs.. fantastic bit of kit

5.0 out of 5 stars 550Watt Colors-it Power Supply, 4 July 2008
This review is from: CIT 550W Gold 12Cm Silent Atx Power Supply (Electronics)
This PS worked right from the box! Colors 550W Gold 12Cm Silent Atx Power Supply
It has 6 X 4pin sockets, 1 X 24 pin socket, which you can detach the end 4 sockets to enable connection to a 20pin motherboard. Also 1 X square 4pin socket, 1 X 6pin socket, 1 X Floppy socket,1 X SATA socket.
This is a new generation Power Supply, where the fan blows it's air from the PS to the inside of the computer, not as usual out of the back. This ensures cooling air is drawn in, instead of warm air from PC interior, which could cause overheating and a PS failure. Because of this I have installed a baffle plate to deflect the blown air away from the CPU.
The build quality has an expensive look and feel to it! It is proving to be reliable.

2.0 out of 5 stars It lasted ...... about 6 months, 20 Dec 2013
This review is from: CIT 550W Gold 12Cm Silent Atx Power Supply (Electronics)
I bought this PSU in march 2013 as this was a present along with components to build a pc,i chose this PSU because i was going to then buy some better components and there would be a bit of head room left for the extra power needed. So i bought a 660 ti and an H220 and then after a while the PSU started to make a bit of fan noise and i ignored it because well its a fan and its doing its job. a could weeks after the fan was being noisy while playing BF3 it made a BANG and my system shut off, so i opened it and saw smoke coming from the PSU so i disconnected it and felt that it was boiling hot. I left it outside to cool and bought a different PSU (OCZ ZX 1250W) Morale of the story, actually spend money on a good psu and you should be fine.
After getting the new PSU none of my components had been overvolted and were all working. :)

3.0 out of 5 stars A good PSU, but very misleading, 24 Feb 2013
This review is from: CIT 550W Gold 12Cm Silent Atx Power Supply (Electronics)
There are many people in the PC building community who claim that Corsair and OCZ etc. are the best brand to go for. This is not necessarily true, So I decided to go against the current and go for this PSU.

Good points about it:

- It has good connectors, and the right amount of them for its wattage
- Looks kind of cool
- Decent suction to pull heat out of the case
- Relativity quiet

Bad points:

- It is not as silent as some other brands out there, even the 'budget' ones. For example I have a 780w PSU from Maplin and you could hear a pin drop.
- Odd squeaking noise (possibly duff psu, it could be the capacitors under AMD's Cool n' Quiet scheme, which drops the voltage continuously)
- The whole of the casing of the PSU seems to flex, so when top-mounted in the case it droops slightly

But the biggest point of all, IT IS NOT 550w! On the 12v rail, which is what counts, it is [12v1 16a] and [12v2 16a] which means that it is 32a x 12v which gives you 384w. IT IS MISLEADING!

My setup is:

- FX-8350 @ 4.2ghz
- HD 7850 @ 1150/6000 1.2v
- 2 x WD 2TB HDD
- 1 x Sandisk 128gb SSD

That setup is quite power hungry (FX cpu :D), and it scrapes 400w. When you add USB peripherals it loads it even more. This resulted in the computer freezing or shutting down, when using demanding programs such as gaming.

I am most likely going to keep this PSU for a minor build which requires no more than 350W, for which this PSU would be totally suitable. For 20 pounds it is not worth sending back, with all the hassle of labels and that.

I bought a G7 780w PSU from Maplin, for about 40 pounds, and it is a world better. It has 4 x 12v rails totaling 864w, meaning that there is loads of headroom for crossfiring 2 7850s which I will do. The G7 is much quieter, and it keeps the PC remarkably cool inside, considering I have no case fans.