5.0 out of 5 stars Flawless with XP and Ubuntu Linux
Having two pcs using USB Wifi dongles for over a year and having nothing but bother with my wireless network i added another pc using one of these cards.

Published on 18 July 2008 by G. Brunton

3.0 out of 5 stars Windows 7 problems!
Published on 23 Oct 2009 by Peter Shackleton

5.0 out of 5 stars Flawless with XP and Ubuntu Linux, 18 July 2008
G. Brunton (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Edimax EW-7128G Wireless LAN PCI Card 802.11b/g 54Mbp (Ralink) (Electronics)

It was 100% reliable in the new machine so i have now upgraded the other two machines to these aswell. Can't fault it. The connection has never dropped since switching. It never used to last an hour without some sort of hang up or disconnection before.

The unit supplied does not come with the antenna attached directly to the rear of the card as pictured, it comes with a 'remote' antenna on a cable so it can be positioned on the desk or somewhere with better reception than the back of your base unit.

One of the machines is running XP and two of them Ubuntu Linux (one 7.10, one 8.04) and all of them worked out of the box with no need to use the driver CD and no messing about with ndiswrapper on the linux boxes.

5.0 out of 5 stars No frills but works well in Windows and Linux, 6 Oct 2008
Tried this in Windows XP, immediate installation and it found a WiFi hotspot from a business at least 600 metres away as well as our own router. Installed it with Fedora Linux with no problems and it should work with any distribution using a reasonably up to date Linux kernel. Performance seems OK and range not an issue in a normal (!) house. What you can't easily do unless your Linux skills are a lot better than mine is install Linux with a basic installation disc and download the rest of the distribution wirelessly, you need a more complete installation set (typically 3 CDs). This is not a problem with the product which gets 5 stars all round, the point is that the Ralink drivers are not on the basic installation discs. As others have mentioned the antenna is not as illustrated, which suits us well.

3.0 out of 5 stars Windows 7 problems!, 23 Oct 2009
In XP this thing works fine, although the included software is unnecessary and annoying. The aerial cable is too short in my opinion - barely long enough to enable it to sit on a desk if your desktop is on the floor. In Windows 7, your system will freeze without the latest drivers, which are available from the US Edimax website (not edimax dot com for some reason). Type 'edimax us download' into google to find them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly with Ubuntu 8.04 and Vista Ultimate., 9 Sep 2008
L. Jones (Wales) - See all my reviews
I purchased this network card because I required a card to satisfy both of my operating systems. I previously had a Linksys wireless G (wmp54g) pci card installed, and while this worked fine with Vista, it is not compatible with Linux operating systems (at least without allot of hard work).

Many thanks to the previous reviewer for pointing out its compatibility with Ubuntu, and as he says the card does not come as pictured, "it comes with a 'remote' antenna on a cable".

The wireless connection appears to be very good, better than my previous card. It maintains at least 4 or 5 bars in the Vista Network manager. For the price, you cannot go wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice 'n easy on XP, 24 Jan 2009
Received within a few days of ordering. I'd never braved mucking around with the internals of my PC before, but didn't really want something that plugged into a USB port, so went for it.
I also use WPA security on my WiFi which some other cards etc. don't seem to support.
My PC manual (HP Pavilion) gave good descriptions for fitting a PCI card, and in the end it was dead easy to fit.
I followed the instructions and booted up, ran the install etc. I found it easier to use Windows Zero rather than the RALink config tool. I quickly found & connected to my wireless network - but in the status line I still had a cross next to the Local Area Connection symbol which when hovered on stated that "A Network Cable is unplugged". However I soon found that I could ignore this - I was in fact online - but was just expecting that icon to show I was conected to something.
As I say above you seem to have to decide between the RALink config tool and the "Windows Zero" - I connected OK, but then started the RALink config tool and lost the connection, so imho better to stick to the Windows Zero and not start up the RALink config tool.
All seemed to now be working OK, but I then found that I got an annoying three beeps from Windows XP after I signed in to Windows. I finally worked out that the RALink software had added itself to the Start Up programs - removing this got rid of the three beeps.
On occasion, the PC hasn't managed to connect to Wifi on start-up - I think this may have been when I still had RAlink running in the start-up - but this is quick to resolve - simply disconnect & reconnect to the network and it then works fine.
So in summary, an easy install, quick to connect and works fine with WPA encryption. I'd recommend using Windows config rather than RAlink & remove RAlink from start-up programs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Flawless Hardware With Slightly Flawed Software, 4 Nov 2008
Julian Griffiths "Searle" (London, England) - See all my reviews
After changing my ISP I received a new wireless ADSL router (Siemens Gigaset SE587) and then found it necessary to replace an old wireless network card on a very old desktop PC. It was for this reason I was looking for a budget priced PCI WiFi card which supported the newer security levels (WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK) and would also provide a strong and reliable signal strength.

After reading the unanimous 5 star reviews for this product I considered the Edimax EW-7128g WiFi Card a safe bet!

MY FINDINGS
-------------
The card only comes with the remote antenna. Its not a problem, just a point of clarification (see my customer image for details).

Before installing the card I downloaded the latest Windows XP device driver from the Edimax website (I would always recommend downloading driver and/or firmware when available as standard practice).

After installing the card I used the Edimax Configuration Tool which was extremely easy to use. However, the following day after switching the PC back on the network card wouldn't connect to the network without me first re-selecting the network and entering the security details. After testing this several times I realised the settings weren't being saved after each reboot (OS Windows XP Professional).

I logged a support call via the Edimax website (Saturday evening).

I then decided configure the network card in the same way I have configured all my other network cards on other computers using the standard Microsoft Zero Configuration Tool (Windows XP/Vista). On this occasion the network security details were saved.

The Edimax Configuration Tool is still useful for identifying other networks in the area and confirming the channels they are using. As a result of this information I experimented with several recommended standard wireless channels on the network and improved the signal strength from 75% to 99% (at both strengths the card consistently performed at a connection speed of 54Mbps).

I received a technical response via email from Edimax on the morning of the next business day (Monday). The solution was different from mine so I followed it up with a telephone call and promptly spoke to same support person who had responded via email. She was both helpful and friendly. However, I stuck with my original solution as it was working.

I have been using the card for 10 days and it has performed both reliably and to a high standard.

Originally, I was going to break with ranks and award the Edimax WiFi card with a respectable 4 star rating due to the software configuration issue. However, the prompt, helpful and friendly response has compensated for this initial shortfall.

UPDATED INFORMATION
-------------------
Since writing my original review I have found a new lease of life for both my old desktop computer (from 2001) and the Edimax EW-7128g WiFi Card.

I have installed the Linux operating system, Ubuntu (which is free). The problem with the various forms of Linux (Ubuntu, OpenSUSE etc) is finding the necessary devices drivers. This good news is that Ubuntu recognised the Edimax EW-7128g WiFi Card straight away!

I have also used the card on both a Windows Vista and Windows 7 computer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Wireless Card!, 4 Mar 2009
J. Bingham "Jill" (London UK) - See all my reviews
This would have got 5 stars had it not been for two niggles. First is the picture shows the card with an attached antenna. This is not what it comes with. Instead, a small cable (about 1.5 metres in length)screws into the card and on the other end is a rubberised, round based aerial. This has the advantage of being able to place it where best signal maybe, but as I will state later this is not really needed and just causes clutter to find a place to put.

Second niggle is sometimes upon starting the computer the software will connect, and then disconnect from my router. This is put right by scanning again, and putting in the routers wireless security password. It does not happen always, but just a pain that once saved it should never need to be put in again.

Now the good parts. First off it is cheap, but well built. Easy to fit, CD Software was easy to install and the most amazing part is this: My previous adaptor was a USB dongle. This would get around 80% strength in my front room which is next to the router, but down to 30% should I use it downstairs. This adaptor gets 100% signal strength be it downstairs or closer to the router. Indeed, so powerful its aerial is, that out of the 32 houses in my street it picks up 21 wireless signals and the lowest being 18% strength.

So, if you live in a house that has dead spots normally this is a great buy for stable signal strength and high speed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Edimax Wireless Review, 5 April 2009
David Clothier (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
Hi, I received this item with the packaging intact and the wireless LAN card in good working order. Setup was quick and after installation it detected my wireless network easily. However even though it said it had OK/Good signal strength it would see the wireless network but has trouble connecting to it. Sometimes it would work fine and other times it required a reboot.
I am trying to connect to a wireless router about 25 meters away through internal walls, which I beleive is beyond the capabilities of this device when you want a reliable 99/100% of the time connection.
I have since installed the card on my parents PC; which is approx 10 meters from the wireless router and it works like a dream 100% of the time. For £13 it's a very good buy, but don't expect the range to go for miles. I'm still happy with my purchase as it work well at my parents house and that's why I have given it 4 stars.
David, AMD Athlon Dual 2.6Ghz 3Gb RAM Geforce8600GT Windows Vista Home Premium

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to install, great connectivity, great product., 24 Nov 2008
Mr. David A. Woolston (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
I have sky broadband and wanted to connect my desktop PC upstairs to the wireless network. I saw the 5 star reviews for this product and the cheap price and went ahead and bought one.

It took me 10 minutes to install the card in the machine and install the software on XP.

Wireless signal reception is 100% for my sky broadband connection and it also picked up 3 signals from surrounding houses...!

Superb product at a very reasonable price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spot on for Windows 7 RC1, 1 July 2009
Bought this to replace a LinkSys WMP54G ver. 4.1, which was always problematic, even under XP, where the SSID had to be enabled so it didn't lose the connection for good. Under Windows 7 the LinkSys card was a nightmare, and would not even use the native RaLink drivers. I followed the general concensus i.e. get rid! - and bought this cheap card after some Googling.
The card arrived promptly today, was fitted in 5 mins (it uses standard connections, so you don't have to use the supplied cabled aerial if it's a replacement card, although I chose to). I didn't use the CD-ROM drivers, but my test machine found the RaLink drivers (probably from an earlier install attempt on the LinkSys - same RT61 specification) and worked flawlessly from the start. I'm using WPA2 through a LinkSys WRT54GL router (flashed with Tomato) and getting decent speeds, about half the theoretical 54G limit with file transfers. Stability is brilliant, though, with not a glitch in four hours, even with SSID turned off. Looks like I can back up wirelessly once again - Great!