Size: 52 mm|Change

I own a number of different makers for filters Hoya are one of the biggest brands out there, and in most ways it's justified with the consistency of their filters. However it's worth spending a little more on a better filter v the cheaper offerings from the maker. This one has a few advantages over the lower priced models firstly it is a low profile filter this will help with peripheral shading or corner darkening on lenses, some lenses have this naturally as a design compromise, so it's important to have a filter that won't make this worse hence the lower profile is more desirable.

More so for wider angle lenses, though do note that due to the nature of polarisation this will show more darkening on the edges for very wide angle lenses due to the angle of the sun. A CPL is very useful for reducing reflections on non metallic surfaces, increasing contrast and reducing the hazy look in some images. The Hoya has a satin effect finish which should help reduce reflections the MC designation means multi coatings this is an important difference over cheaper filters which will have less coatings the Hoya does very well dealing with bright light sources such as street lighting without any obvious addition of flare a common problem on cheaper filters.

Build is solid all around, some prefer brass threads but I've yet to have a problem with this filter (I'd avoid over tightening the filter as with any) rotation of the front section is also smooth. There are higher priced filters out there but this sits in a comfortable "mid range" price point and it performs very well, recommended.
review image
on 16 April 2009
Having invested in a new DSLR I was after a suitable circular polarising filter to fit its standard zoom lens. As a previous user of Hoya filters I could only expect the best and was not disappointed. It certainly enhances image contrast as well as reducing unwanted reflections.
The filter's slim profile helps eliminate vignetting and the fact that the knurled ring which threads into the camera lens is marginally larger than the setting ring makes life easier when removing it. Shall be after the 77mm version for my wide-angle zoom now!
The only problem I had was ensuring I'd get the filter I wanted. There were variations to choose from and the wording provided by the web site suppliers differed enough to create an element of confusion when the same filter was being described.
review image
44 comments|168 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 April 2010
I recently bought the 77mm Hoya Pro1 Circular Polariser for my Canon dSLR, to fit my 10-22mm super wide angle lens. I had been advised that it was necessary to buy the PRO1 range over the standard range due to it being thinner and therefore not visible wide open at 10mm. Having used it a couple of times now I can say that this is very true and have noticed no vignetting around the edges of the image. The build quality is fantastic, and the lens cap fits neatly over the filter, and isn't prone to slipping off.

If you have a super wide angle lens, then this is certainly the filter you need.
22 comments|84 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Whilst my five stars and above title suggests that this Hoya 77mm pro digital polariser is the best, I will admit that I had hoped to get the Sigma version that in its 82mm guise, is absolutely superbly engineered. I use that (& review) on my Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 HSM, the results of which are stunning.

One of my most used lenses, the pro Nikkor 17-35mm f2.8 that I use on my full-frame Nikon D700, is about the widest angle of view available in a lens that has front mounted filters. 104 degrees diagonally - that is a lot of blue sky and a deeply saturated colour landscape, especially a seascape with brightly coloured boats, for example can be quite simply transformed into a tropical paradise - from an average sunny day in England.

It's a slim filter - which means minimal vignetting in the corners at 17mm (though not as slim as that Sigma) and is sturdily made. It's used almost all the time, when the conditions suit.

I've used polarisers most of my photographic career and would always sing their praises. However, they can be frighteningly expensive, almost as much as some new lenses. Very cheap ones (I review a Hama one, for example) literally aren't up to the job and cause frustration when they fall apart after only a few photographic excursions.

Do remember this - when tilting the camera from a vertical to a horizontal shot, the angle is changed and so is the polarisation. Though a bore, you do have to rotate the filter to get the best effect for each photo and deep lenshoods on telezooms can be a bit of a nightmare - but I always take the trouble. Look out also for zoom lenses that boast 'a non rotating front element', usually they've got 'internal focussing, or IF', so watch out for that in a lens' description - that way, once you've got the right effect and then change composition by zooming, you won't have to reset the polariser.
22 comments|93 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 May 2012
I've been using Hoya filters for years. Thay are the best quality filters I've been able to find. Build quality is superb and I especially like the low profile of the filters, which is essential to stop vignetting when using wide angle lenses. I have a Hoya UV filter permanently attached to all of my lenses to protect the front element and it is possible to attach the polarising filter to this in a "stacked" configuration with no drop in image quality. The polariser cuts reflections allowing you to see below the surface of water when photographing fish etc. In landscape photography, the polariser allows you to deepen blue skies giving greater contrast between sky and clouds. This particular filter came with a microfiber cleaning cloth which I was not expecting. Anybody thinking about buying one of these filters can be sure that when they handle it for the first time that they will be impressed by the build quality and once attached, the optical quality will immediately become apparent. These filters may be relatively expensive, but they are excellent value for money. Buy with absolute confidence.
on 21 December 2008
This is the second Hoya PRO1 circular polarizer I bought (other was 58mm) and I am again very satisfied. Effective filtering (tested with lcd screen), very well built and doesn't obstruct the frame at 10mm on my Sigma 10-20mm.
11 comment|73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 January 2009
I have always used Hoya filters since my interest in photography began in 1978. Now that I use Amazon, it is so easy to order them! The Hoya PRO-1 filter is excellent value and produces amazing photos when the conditions are right - a clear day and a good blue sky with puffy clouds...the filter produces excellent results emphasising the blueness of the sky and really showing off those clouds! Every serious amateur should have one of these! You can vary the degree of saturation with the rotation of the filter. If you could only have 2 filters - it would be the UV and this. Cheers!
0Comment|95 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 November 2009
I wanted to improve my landscape photography and having read a feature on landscapes I resolved to purchase a polorising filter. The Hoya Pro 1 Digital PL filter was regarded as the best although more expensive than the standard filters.

Thia was my first time using filters, however, I would recommend this one as it does what it says on the package. On the down side whilst it does enhance colours and reflections you can over compensate for weather and shadows, but this is pilot error. The learning curve is still continuing, but if you want to improve content, enhance colours and improve reflects, then I would recommed this filter for you.
on 25 February 2013
Very quick despatch and delivery. Whilst I have not yet fully used the item photographically, it clearly works, and works smoothly, and I anticipate that it will perform as well as similar Hoya products purchased previously. I took notice of previous reviews before deciding on the thinner Digital item rather than the cheaper, but more bulky alternative. The 'Digital' nomenclature indicates that this filter is designed for use with digital cameras in order to minimise any risk of vignetting in the image. I purchased the item for use on my newly-purchased Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 wide-angle zoom on a Canon EOS 600D. Not only does it fit the lens perfectly, but its slender design allowed me to fit it ON TOP OF the Hoya UV(C) stay-on filter, fit the standard lens hood and still have no sign of vignetting! Remarkable!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 26 January 2013
Great polarizing filter. Being used with a Canon EF-S 15-85 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens and has helped to take some super outdoor landscape shots with beautifully blue skies and vivid clouds. This is also very useful for snow shots. Basically it takes the glare off things such as water and metal objects making your photos look more natural.

This is a low profile filter which means no vignetting on the corners of your photos.

Do remember though if you are one of those people who like to use filters to protect your lenses that you will lose a couple of stops with this filter so you should take it off when it is nor required.

It is expensive but well worth it. Hoya always make great filters and this one is one of their best ones.
review image review image