5.0 out of 5 stars First class accessory
Having invested in a new DSLR I was after a suitable circular polarising filter to fit its standard zoom lens. As a previous user of Hoya filters I could only expect the best and was not disappointed. It certainly enhances image contrast as well as reducing unwanted reflections.
Published on 16 April 2009 by R. Woodland

1.0 out of 5 stars Scratched after first use
The first one I ordered got tiny scratches all over it the first time I used it. Amazon sent a replacement and exactly the same thing happened. I use a proper cloth/cleaner and have had several Hoya filters in the past without problems. So I don't know if this is a dodgy batch but it has put me off buying Hoya again, which is a shame as their polarising filters used to...
Published 6 months ago by Ernie

5.0 out of 5 stars First class accessory, 16 April 2009
R. Woodland (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hoya 67mm Pro-1 Digital Circular Polarizing Filter (Accessory)
The filter's slim profile helps eliminate vignetting and the fact that the knurled ring which threads into the camera lens is marginally larger than the setting ring makes life easier when removing it. Shall be after the 77mm version for my wide-angle zoom now!
The only problem I had was ensuring I'd get the filter I wanted. There were variations to choose from and the wording provided by the web site suppliers differed enough to create an element of confusion when the same filter was being described.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for wide angle, 23 April 2010
Paul Roberts (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
I recently bought the 77mm Hoya Pro1 Circular Polariser for my Canon dSLR, to fit my 10-22mm super wide angle lens. I had been advised that it was necessary to buy the PRO1 range over the standard range due to it being thinner and therefore not visible wide open at 10mm. Having used it a couple of times now I can say that this is very true and have noticed no vignetting around the edges of the image. The build quality is fantastic, and the lens cap fits neatly over the filter, and isn't prone to slipping off.

If you have a super wide angle lens, then this is certainly the filter you need.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hoya 72mm Pro1 Digital Circular PL Filter (Purchased on 18/09/2009), 19 Oct 2009
H. Soteris (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
I got this filter for my Nikon D300. I mainly utilize this filter for landscapes (& panoramas) to increase contrast and color vibrancy and to cut off reflections from non-metallic surfaces. So far, it's been a wonderful asset. Glass quality is brilliant, does not stain from water droplets, does not get scratched from dust. The only backside of this filter, which was expected, is that one looses two thirds of a stop when mounted.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent results on Sigma 10-20mm, 21 Dec 2008
This is the second Hoya PRO1 circular polarizer I bought (other was 58mm) and I am again very satisfied. Effective filtering (tested with lcd screen), very well built and doesn't obstruct the frame at 10mm on my Sigma 10-20mm.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 27 April 2011
Excellent quality filter, you can really tell the quality in the weight and feel in the object. Takes excellent photographs outside or in very light indoor conditions. A PL filter is quite dark though and you cant use it as an 'all-rounder'. If you try and take pictures inside with darker light (i.e. night time) you will find it impossible to see through the view finder (as you would expect, its like wearing sunglasses indoors!). Definitely worth the cost.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hoya filters, 30 Jan 2009
S. L. Greaves "Stevie G" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I have always used Hoya filters since my interest in photography began in 1978. Now that I use Amazon, it is so easy to order them! The Hoya PRO-1 filter is excellent value and produces amazing photos when the conditions are right - a clear day and a good blue sky with puffy clouds...the filter produces excellent results emphasising the blueness of the sky and really showing off those clouds! Every serious amateur should have one of these! You can vary the degree of saturation with the rotation of the filter. If you could only have 2 filters - it would be the UV and this. Cheers!

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the money, 11 July 2009
S. Harmeston (Channel Islands) - See all my reviews
I brilliant filter, been using it on a 17-40L and 10-20, excellent results

Im fairly new to photography and was a little bit hesitant about the price at first but its been worth it, if you've got good lenses you don't want to be putting a cheap filter on

Really looking forward to using it when we go to Tenerife in September

5.0 out of 5 stars Pro uses pro filter on a pro lens, 1 May 2011
Tim Kidner "Hucklebrook Hound" (Salisbury, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Whilst my five stars and above title suggests that this Hoya 77mm pro digital polariser is the best, I will admit that I had hoped to get the Sigma version that in its 82mm guise, is absolutely superbly engineered. I use that (& review) on my Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 HSM, the results of which are stunning.

One of my most used lenses, the pro Nikkor 17-35mm f2.8 that I use on my full-frame Nikon D700, is about the widest angle of view available in a lens that has front mounted filters. 104 degrees diagonally - that is a lot of blue sky and a deeply saturated colour landscape, especially a seascape with brightly coloured boats, for example can be quite simply transformed into a tropical paradise - from an average sunny day in England.

It's a slim filter - which means minimal vignetting in the corners at 17mm (though not as slim as that Sigma) and is sturdily made. It's used almost all the time, when the conditions suit.

I've used polarisers most of my photographic career and would always sing their praises. However, they can be frighteningly expensive, almost as much as some new lenses. Very cheap ones (I review a Hama one, for example) literally aren't up to the job and cause frustration when they fall apart after only a few photographic excursions.

Do remember this - when tilting the camera from a vertical to a horizontal shot, the angle is changed and so is the polarisation. Though a bore, you do have to rotate the filter to get the best effect for each photo and deep lenshoods on telezooms can be a bit of a nightmare - but I always take the trouble. Look out also for zoom lenses that boast 'a non rotating front element', usually they've got 'internal focussing, or IF', so watch out for that in a lens' description - that way, once you've got the right effect and then change composition by zooming, you won't have to reset the polariser.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality., 15 May 2012
A. Ferguson (South coast UK) - See all my reviews
I've been using Hoya filters for years. Thay are the best quality filters I've been able to find. Build quality is superb and I especially like the low profile of the filters, which is essential to stop vignetting when using wide angle lenses. I have a Hoya UV filter permanently attached to all of my lenses to protect the front element and it is possible to attach the polarising filter to this in a "stacked" configuration with no drop in image quality. The polariser cuts reflections allowing you to see below the surface of water when photographing fish etc. In landscape photography, the polariser allows you to deepen blue skies giving greater contrast between sky and clouds. This particular filter came with a microfiber cleaning cloth which I was not expecting. Anybody thinking about buying one of these filters can be sure that when they handle it for the first time that they will be impressed by the build quality and once attached, the optical quality will immediately become apparent. These filters may be relatively expensive, but they are excellent value for money. Buy with absolute confidence.

5.0 out of 5 stars 67mm Hoya pro 1 circular polariser, 11 Jan 2010
Mr. A. H. Offen-james (stoke-on-trent england) - See all my reviews
This was purchsed a a present for me. When compared to a normal multi coated filter the difference is extroadinary ,colours are much more defined and appear sharper ,noise particularly in sky areas on big enlargements is reduced .

It is also half the thickness of a normal filter so it can be used on my extreme wide angle lenses without vignetting

superb get one