5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning Emma!
This is just a stunning album. Her last, Free Me was a wonderful collection of 60's type songs. This is more of the same but with a modern twist, and has come of age, she has made this her territory.

Published on 5 Dec 2006 by Stewart Webb

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute... But Slightly Dull
Published on 2 April 2007 by Dutch and Red

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning Emma!, 5 Dec 2006
This review is from: Life In Mono (Audio CD)

There is a blatantly Bond theme type track (they should ask her, we could do with a decent new Bond song). Some great melodies which, similar to her first album are not immediately catchy, but you find yourself playing them again and again to get the nuances she puts in.

This lady must spend some serious time in the studio getting her songs honed to a fine finish. The production is as smooth as silk, without being over done.

Emma always has at least one fun catchy track, in this case it is track 7 Take Me To Another Town. This track alone is worth the cost of the album.

My copy has the bonus tracks, amongst which are the sixties classics Something Tells Me and Perhaps. Brilliantly done.

All in all a great album and this Spice lady has a great future, no flash in the pan here. Talent will out and it has here. Sexy Sassy and her best yet. Well done Emma, more of the same please!

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite enjoyable listen, 23 Dec 2006
This review is from: Life In Mono (Audio CD)
This collection is light, happy, bouncy, and well executed. The songs are semi-retro, there's the hint of bossa nova, and I can see a couple of tracks that feel like they should be played while Ursula comes out of the water from a Bond film. Emma's vocals remain breezy, and that suits this music.

Will it be a classic? Probably not. Have I listened to it repeatedly this week? Yes, I have. It is great everyday music, sing-a-long music, around the house music. If you liked the Free Me CD, then you will probably like this disc. All in all, enjoyable and fun.

NOTE: If you are trying to do an in-depth musical analysis of this album, then I need to remind you that this is an ex-Spice girl. The music was cotton candy with the Spice Girls, and the sweetness continues with this album. Nothing wrong with that, but you just have to admit that you want something fun for now.

4.0 out of 5 stars GREAT BUT POINT DEDUCTED, 1 July 2008
This review is from: Life In Mono (Audio CD)
....for the bonus tracks especially the shamefull Downtown and Cillas Something - more loose and free than her previous effort and should be said that her best song the title track is one not written by her. Great 60s French style pop though....

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute... But Slightly Dull, 2 April 2007
This review is from: Life In Mono (Audio CD)
After the delightful Free Me I was left reeling that it was Emma Bunton who was to be the only Spice Girl with an actual solo career and flawless album to boot. Due to this I eagerly anticipated her follow up and whilst Life In Mono is far from a bad album, I was left feeling dissatisfied. It's not that 'Life In Mono' is particularly dull (although All I Need To Know is), it's just that the songs just lack the fun catchy chorus' that made Free Me so irresistible.

All I Need To Know is so boring, why it was ever released as a single is beyond me, it truly deserved it's lowly placement of #60. It's not that I have a grudge against ballads, but the song has no hook, or soul. Life In Mono is weirdly interesting and one of the highlights, and being a cover version (as so many reviewers were quick to point out) takes nothing away from Emma's beautiful delivery. One thing that Emma brings to the table is a sugary sweet vocal performance which really entrances the audience and sounds amazing on this track.

Mischievous is cute and Perfect Strangers is another highlight with a great chorus. But the best song by far comes in the form of He Loves Me Not which oozes a breezy summer feel. The album really captures the sixties in its carefree nature and minimalistic style, with this being no exception. I Wasn't Looking (When I Found Love) is another mellow yet confident track that boasts one of the strongest chorus' on the album, stunning.

Take Me To Another Town is an interesting up-tempo number leading to Undressing You which oozes sex appeal with the luxurious backing track only enhancing Emma's teasing vocal delivery. I'm Not Crying Over Yesterdays is gorgeous and playful whilst not being one the strongest tracks, whilst All That You'll Be ends the album on an even weaker note. It's just plain, only being saved by Emma's cute vocals.

The bonus tracks are slightly shameless, whilst Downtown was recorded for a good cause and is actually as good as it's original. It also doesn't sound out of place with the other tracks which is a testament to Emma's successful embodiment of the 60's style. The other three bulk up the album and hide its lack or original material (standing at nine songs). It's nowhere near as good as Free Me as the buying public have made clear, but it's definitely worth a listen for the diamonds in the rough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another superbly crafted album from Emma!, 24 Feb 2007
N. H. Yeung (Singapore) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Life In Mono (Audio CD)
The Spice Girls unleashed themselves on the pop world way back in 1996 with their catchy, infectious debut single "Wannabe". Along the way, the group chalked up millions of album sales around the world, together with nine number one singles in the UK. Music output increased fivefold from 1999, when Ginger, Scary, Sporty, Baby and Posh began releasing solo material. Eleven years on, three group and numerous solo albums later, the Spice deluge has become a mere trickle... Geri has called it quits; Victoria is more focused on her fashion line than her music; Mel B's gone all quiet ever since the dismal performance of her second album "L.A. State of Mind". Therefore, the onus is now on Emma and Mel C to remind listeners that they are still around by continually releasing new albums.

Like its predecessor "Free Me", "Life in Mono" is in a league of its own. Its Motown - influenced sound, lush orchestral accompaniments and soaring melodies make Emma's third album vastly different from the rest in today's music scene which is dominated by hip-hop and R'n'B artists. As such, it's obvious that a retro sounding album like Emma's wouldn't see the light of day. Most music magazines don't even bother reviewing it, which is a pity, for "Life in Mono" is an excellent album.

We begin with "All I Need to Know", a strings-laden acoustic track Emma recently released as her second single. It's harmless enough, with Emma singing `love you, love you' repeatedly, but I find the song a bit dull, making it rather unsuitable as an opening track. Next up is "Life in Mono", which, together with "Free Me", wouldn't sound out of place on a James Bond soundtrack. Honestly, I haven't a clue what Emma was doing (or thinking), as the atmospheric song sticks out like a sore thumb and mars the entire flow of the album.

The next three tracks, "Mischievous", "Perfect Strangers" and "He Loves Me Not" are light and breezy enough. "I Wasn't Looking (When I Found Love)" fits Emma's vocals wonderfully and this is where she starts presenting a more mature sound. "Take Me To Another Town" has a funky opening, but its repetitive melody and chorus made the song plodding. "Undressing You" fared much better, as its jazzy theme (incidentally used on her website, if you've noticed) brings out the tongue-in-cheek side of Emma.

The album reaches its high-water mark with "I'm Not Crying Over Yesterdays" and "All That You'll Be". Both possess the prerequisites of a classic song: meaningful lyrics, live orchestral arrangements and Burt Bacharach-esque melodies. At this point you can't help but wonder whether the album has changed from pop to easy listening.

The first single from the album, "Downtown", reached number three on the charts. Although Petula Clark approved Emma's interpretation of the cult classic, I find that Emma's voice is drowned out at times by the orchestra. Potential buyers should get the special edition album that comes with the three bonus tracks: "Something Tells Me (Something's Gonna Happen)" , "Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps" and "Por Favor". All three are covers and round up the album quite nicely.

If you're fed up with the trash you're hearing on the radio and want something light and soothing for a change, then this album is for you. Emma's done a wonderful job injecting 60s influences into her music, with excellent results.

Keep up the good work, Emma!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 29 Dec 2006
This review is from: Life In Mono (Audio CD)
Life in Mono is fresh, clean and zings with style. Her voice is excellent unlike some of the other ex 'Spice Girls'. The arrangements are both interesting and unique and shows Emma's true talents.

This is by far the best album to date and I certainly hope she continues producing quality material like this. Unlikely to be a classic but it's certainly addictive. I have bought several CD's for my family and they all love the album too. My daughter is 'hooked'.

Great job Emma!!

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW. This album is fab baby, 9 Dec 2006
Mr. P. C. Lock (Farnham, UK.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Life In Mono (Audio CD)
I left this review for a few days so I could give it few listenings.

Free Me was a really great album, which I did not buy until March this year.

When I first listen to it I was blown away, I just did not expect this from Emma.

Now over to Life In Mono, First listening It did not seem as good as Free Me.

But its a grower Emma has a sweet singing voice, which is pleasant to listen to. All the songs are good, still having the 60s bossa nova sound to most of them. Best tracks are. Life In Mono, Mischievous, He Loves Me Not, I Wasn't Looking, Take Me To Another Town, I'm Not Crying Over Yesterdays, All That You'll Be, and Something Tells Me.

All in all this is a solid album, and is as good as Free Me if not better.

well done Emma for a third fantastic album, and the best so far.

Rating Six stars, yes it really is that good.

But why did it only peak at number 65 in the charts, I do not know.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mono and on, 5 Dec 2006
Marcio Maia De Almeida "Marcio Maia" (São Paulo, BRA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Life In Mono (Audio CD)
Emma is talented, creative, and it is sure that she is a real singer!

I would say:

- A girl like me 8/10

- Free me 10/10

- Life in mono 8/10

Emma made excellent choices to this fresh and brand new album, however, I think that it misses something like: Maybe, I'll be there and some track that really catches the listener. The album is very bossanova, but I fear to say, but I want to be honest: the album is a little bit so slow.

Anyway it is worth to buy this album, her talent is soberb!

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 19 Dec 2006
M. Gomes (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Life In Mono (Audio CD)
Emma's Bunton third album is one of the best albums of 2006, in my opinion. Her previous album really cought my attention, since then i was expecting for his sucessor and i should admit that it didn't dissapointed me.

Honestly i really thought that after her first album she would disapear from the pop schene but now this lady is here to stay.

Well done Emma i just would like to ask....more of the same please.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely magic, 12 Jan 2013
This review is from: Life In Mono (Audio CD)
I love this record as everyone of Emma Bunton. I hope she will return with new songs soon. I love this albums style.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Life In Mono
Life In Mono by Emma Bunton (Audio CD - 2006)