Style Name: Sharpener|Change

on 12 February 2011
This is an attractive manual pencil sharpener which looks good on the desktop and does its job well. It can produce good, very pointed pencils (probably less than 5mm at their tops). The heavy handed writers I share my pencils with invariably break the very tip on their first attempts at writing with pencils from this gadget - but I personally like the fine tips for drawing and writing.
In routine use, the red upper part of the sharpener needs to be removed from the yellow and black striped drum in order to empty the waste or remove broken graphite from the sharpener. There is a ribbed pressure point (above the written label on the drum) for facilitating removal but the top has a very tight friction fit and I have had a couple of near- misses when the contents have almost ended up on the floor. My only other comment concerns the size of the sharpener - it is suitable for standard drawing and writing pencils, not for larger diameter items.
on 22 November 2011
This is the best pencil sharpener I've ever used. Good design, really effective, doesn't break the pencils (so many of them do!) and there's no mess. I'd really recommend it.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 13 June 2013
Very neat, well made little unit, just over two inches tall - sharpens standard pencils well, and the shavings are collected in the tub, which can then be emptied at your leisure - the top releases with a push-in catch, then clicks back on again. There is a flip-up lid that covers the sharpener hole to ensure that nothing falls out if it's in your bag or pocket. I'm pleased with this - recommended
on 27 March 2014
Bought this for my daughter going back to school, and thought as it was Staedtler it would be a good reliable product. But no, it doesn't sharpen at all well. In fact i found that the cheaper ones did a better job. It does have a good casing however to hold the shavings, just the blades don't sharpen as well as they should.
on 17 September 2013
I got this and it did a very good job of making my pencils nice and pointy.

As I am a student, I tend to write and draw quite a bit. Over the year I have had this sharpener, the blade has gone blunt and it now rips chunks out of the pencil as I twist it in the sharpener.

I tend to try and fix things rather than binning them and buying a replacement, and I tried to find a new blade for this and couldn't so this now sits there while I have gone back to using a sharp knife.

Buy and expect to have to bin it when it goes blunt. Why can't Staedtler make it easy to buy some spare blades????
44 comments|28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 October 2013
Very reliable sharpener, you can feel that it gives a smooth sharp cut to the pencils your sharpening, always leaving a very pointy tip.
I can sharpen other types of pencils: graphite pencils, charcoal pencils, colouring pencils, watercolor pencils, etc. (Like a universal sharpener)
Good quality and functionality.
I recommended it to all students related to art or anyone who needs a sharpener, as its a very reliable and durable tool to have.
on 21 October 2013
I tried this sharpener as soon as it was delivered and I immediately loved it! Normally I have always used ordinary cheap sharpeners which takes so long just to get one pencil sharpened right whether it snaps or not. With this Staedtler sharpener I just rotated the pencil three times and my pencil was super sharp! Easy job done. I would totally recommend this sharpener to anybody for everyday use plus you don't have to stand by a bin every time which is a added bonus.
I have owned a lot of pencil sharpeners over the years. Most of them are unsatisfactory - they either break the pencil lead or go blunt quickly. This one is the exception: a truly high-quality pencil sharpener at a very reasonable price. Despite the plastic tub surround, the sharpener itself appears to be metal. It has certainly proven to be remarkably durable. I have used it on a daily basis for two years now, and it has worked perfectly every time. It always gives a perfectly even point, with none of the snagging you see in other sharpeners.

It may seem bonkers to be raving about a pencil sharpener, but this really is a terrific item. Buy it.
on 27 October 2010
Granny bought one of these for our son which stays at her house but having seen it in action had to purchase a couple for Xmas stockings this year. Works brilliantly and best of all - NO MESS. Brilliant for an 8 year old boy who does not seem to be able to get pencil sharpenings to land in the waste paper basket, but rather decorate the bedroom floor regularly. Cant get for one without the other so 11 year old will be getting one too. Quality item - no regrets and best of all less work for the hoover and mum!
on 19 December 2010
What a relief to have a pencil sharpener that actually works rather than breaking the lead off over and over again. I should have bought a decent one from the beginning.