5.0 out of 5 stars Great!
Really interesting and a great overview - after all, Schama has had to condense Britain's history into 15 hours. Hence, it does not claim to be a complete account of the country's past... (If this is at all possible - I would say it is not). So viewers should not expect this! Liked how it did include the Irish, the Welsh and the Scots, as well women's history. Not just...
Published on 21 Aug 2010 by Eva

3.0 out of 5 stars too shallow for me
I enjoyed the first 1-2 episodes, but now I've grown very tired of this. It feels more like a monotonous monologue now. Many times you just have Simon speaking (in a quite dreary tone, in my opinion) with - I suppose - atmospheric, non-specific blurry images and generic music. So to me it basically feels like an audio podcast a lot of the time. I wish they had spent a lot...
Published 3 months ago by Joel

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed more about Monarchs than Britain, 20 Nov 2011
Paul D. Hartley (Philippines) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Simon Schama: A History of Britain - The Complete BBC Series [DVD] (DVD)
The title says a history of Britain and I was looking forward to seeing how the country grew and declines over the centuries. However, Schama seems to discus only the monarchs at key moments in the development of the empire. For Elizabeth I almost the entire program was devoted to the quarrel between Elizabeth and Mary, nothing about what was going on in the country and around the world.

Shortly after this episode I stopped watching, so apologies if the later programmes detailed Britain and not just the monarchy.

5.0 out of 5 stars great series, 20 May 2013
a classic
btw Amazon should pay fair taxes in UK!
this is very highly recommended by many I am sure

5.0 out of 5 stars SUPERB!, 31 Mar 2013
Anyone who is into history cannot be spellbound by this.
Simon Schama is just great and i also found the 'extras' very interesting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 12 Mar 2013
I like Simon Schama's style of lecture, he keeps to the point and makes it amusing at times;;;;;;;;;;; very good series. I have the bookas well.

5.0 out of 5 stars A History of Britain DVD - Simon Schama, 11 Mar 2013
Watched one or two episodes on tv, so to have the complete series is great. Wonderfully produced, filmed, and narrated. Simon Schama brings a great perspective to the subject.
Great value - would highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best history series ever, 9 Mar 2013
Being interested in British history I came across Schama's History per chance: It sounded interesting but after having watched it I must admit it surpassed all my expectations: Brilliant, concise, entertaining - the BBC really is a trademark!

4.0 out of 5 stars A comprehensive history., 21 Feb 2013
J. A. C. Auvache (uk) - See all my reviews
subject covered well but Simons commentary could be delivered better.This dvd would be very helpful to anyone
seriously studying British history.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, although a bit dated., 27 Jan 2013
H. C. JACOBS (Gauteng, South Africa) - See all my reviews
The overall package is well presented and quite informative. I like the pace and Simon Schama makes the series come to life. DVD quality was a bit poor. Overall I would recommend this.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good base to work from, 10 Aug 2007
I have a real interest in history but my focus periods are late 17th centurary through to the 1950's, as I have always viewed that period as Britains greatest time , with the rise of the empire through the ages upto just before the first world war, It was at this point were we could see the cracks in the empire . However what we achieved in the second world war keeps up to the 1945 a golden age for me . However after watching the entire seies of A History of Britain you realise that were it not for the early years of this nation ie from the times of the Roman empire onwards we could never have built an empire , This series is presented (if that is the right word) to you by a man who has a great enthusiasm on the subject . This series could easily of lasted much longer .

4.0 out of 5 stars My Comments, 4 Nov 2009
Mr. Cvg Fletcher (Cyprus) - See all my reviews
Good value for the money. However, appreciating the depth of the subject, David Scharma did miss out large chunks of very important British History, namely; Edward VIII's Abdication, breaking of the Enigma cypher during WW2, Suez Crisis etc. All of which had a profound effect on the British Empire as it was then.

Simon Schama: A History of Britain - The Complete BBC Series [DVD]