5.0 out of 5 stars Great Film Noir.
Published on 28 Aug. 2010 by T. S. C.

3.0 out of 5 stars Powell's Acting Is Strong; Reinvigorated His Career
MURDER MY SWEET, 1944. This classic black and white film noir, starring Dick Powell and Claire Trevor, and many others, has been acclaimed by critics, and is considered widely influential. The crime drama captures the sharp wit and style of Raymond Chandler's underlying novel FAREWELL MY LOVELY, about his famed gumshoe Philip Marlowe. The private detective is searching...
Published 7 months ago by Stephanie De Pue

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Film Noir., 28 Aug. 2010
T. S. C. (Somewhere in NW England.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Murder, My Sweet - Farewell My Lovely [1944] [DVD] (DVD)
Bought this film a few months ago after seeing it on the telly and wanting to see it again. I have watched it a couple of times since I bought it on DVD and each time I thoroughly enjoy it. I really like the Mitchum remake too, but because this is the original and is really genuine film noir, I prefer this one (just!) Why do I, and I suspect so many others, like this movie so much? I expect there are a number of reasons; the plot is complicated but not so that you can't follow it with a bit of brainwork. The script is laconic and funny, and the atmosphere of West Coast America in the 40's is somehow timeless and magical, even though I wasn't born then and am not an American either!

For some reason, what stays in my mind about the movie, is the house on the coast overlooking the sea, and the magnificent seaview (even though in black & white) that is shown. It to me is somehow supremely atmospheric. But of course the film has much more to offer than just this. The acting from all the players for my money is superb, and the whole film is exciting and interesting and keeps me on tenterhooks from beginning to end. Well that's my opinion anyway! To me, this is Film Noir at it's finest. But don't take my word for it, check it out for yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars the best private dick, 17 Nov. 2010
Huck Flynn "huckleberry" (northern ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Murder, My Sweet - Farewell My Lovely [1944] [DVD] (DVD)
a gem of a noir film featuring my favourite marlowe, dick powell. bogart was brilliant but he was bogart, mitchum just a bit too old and elliott gould pretty awful. Powell captures that worldly-wise but world weary manner perfectly and delivers his lines with a wonderfully warm cynicism. i love the voice over narrative. best of all is his relationship with the superb Moose character. The plot moves along steadily, like most of Chandler's a bit over complicated but resolves itself nicely enough. Great direction, dialogue, period mood, excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Noir, 19 July 2009
This review is from: Murder, My Sweet - Farewell My Lovely [1944] [DVD] (DVD)
Cracking dialogue, Dick Powell plays a great Marlow. Everyone drinks like hell (or pretends to) and promiscuity is rife. Excellent! The camera work and atmosphere is as good as the very best noirs.

Heartily recommend, but even better if watched with a bottle (or two) of something good.

Ignore the reviewer who said he couldn't follow the script. They make films like 'Die Hard 4.0' for him.

5.0 out of 5 stars best film noir, 20 April 2012
This review is from: Murder, My Sweet - Farewell My Lovely [1944] [DVD] (DVD)
In my Opinion Murder my Sweet is the Ultimate Film Noir. Based on stories by Raymond Chandler. it has a strong naration by Dick Powell. the performances are stellar especially Claire Trevor, who is a supurb actress, understated yet strong. It is filmed well and like many Raymond Chandler stories, twists and turns and has several complicated plotlines, which rather than detract, gives it a reality, which is often lost in purely linear naratives, which often have little to do with how one experiences life. I can watch this film over and over and have done, and never tire of seeing it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant Film Noir from a supreme Crime Writer., 15 Mar. 2002
By A Customer
The way this story unfolds will keep you engrossed from the outset. Raymond Chandler was at the apex of his craft when this was released. If you like a story with a double and a triple cross then just keeps going then, "Farewell My Lovely", is for you.
The story is told in flashback by our anti-hero Philip Marlowe; a down on his luck Private Dectective in Los Angeles. He takes the simplest of jobs which leads him further and further into trouble and it becomes more and more difficult to back out.
A true classic movie of the Genre.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking Hardboiled PI Noir Flick, 8 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Murder, My Sweet - Farewell My Lovely [1944] [DVD] (DVD)
"Dick Powell will forever be known as a 1930s crooner in archetypal musical comedies, but this career-changing role shows Powell at his best and remains perhaps the most faithful cinematic representation of Raymond Chandler's hard-boiled hero, Philip Marlowe, ever put on screen. In this adaptation of Farewell, My Lovely, Powell's cynical, smart-talking private eye is hired by a dim ex-con (pug-nosed Mike Mazurki) to find his girl Velma, and by the prissy stooge of a blackmail victim to babysit him during a handoff. The meeting ends with the stooge's death, and Marlowe is immediately engaged by the owner of some jewels, the wily Mrs. Grayle (Claire Trevor), to recover them. As Marlowe navigates the dark, dangerous world of wartime L.A., splitting his search between high-society haunts and the cheap, smoky bars and flophouses of the inner city, he turns up one too many stones, winds up on the wrong end of a fist, and wakes up to a drug-induced nightmare that director Edward Dmytryk delivers with a mixture of surreal symbolism and sinister expressionism. Powell delivers screenwriter John Paxton's snappy lines and droll asides with hard-boiled cynicism, like someone not quite as tough as he talks; but it's Powell's innate vulnerability that makes this reluctant saint of the city so compelling. Dmytryk's shadowy style creates a visual equivalent to the web of intrigue Marlowe navigates, an almost perpetual world of night. One of the first great films noir and an often-overlooked detective-movie classic. --Sean Axmaker" - Review from Amazon.com (as they have put the wrong one up for this movie on Amazon.co.uk)

This is a clssic noir featuring some fine performances and a typically intricate plot, as one expects from Raymond Chandler. If you like this I would also recommend the perhaps better known The Big Sleep [1946] [DVD], also an adaptation of a Chandler novel, with Humphrey Bogart playing the role of Philip Marlowe.

5.0 out of 5 stars "I don't know on whose side I am. I don't know which side anybody's on. I don't even know who's playing today.", 24 Jan. 2014
Darth Maciek "Darth Maciek" (Darth Maciek is out there...) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Murder, My Sweet - Farewell My Lovely [1944] [DVD] (DVD)
This 1944 adaptation of Raymond Chandler novel is a great classic of film noir, an absolute treasure and an incredibly entertaining watch. Below, more of my impressions, with some limited SPOILERS.

The film begins with private detective Philip Marlowe (Dick Powell) being contacted by a recently out of prison giant, a certain "Moose" Malloy ("Peop'e call me Moose. Cause 'm large"). Played by the hulking wrestler Mike Mazurki, Moose is a pretty scary dude, in a kind of gently smiling low key way - it's not like he is actually trying to intimidate people, they are just scared sh--tless by him kind of naturally...))) "Moose" Malloy hires Marlowe to find his long lost moll, a certain Velma (Claire Trevor) - and from the moment the detective starts the investigation, all the hell breaks loose (even if it happens initially in slow motion).

This film is so successful first because of INCREDIBLE narration in form of Marlowe's own monolog, to which are added equally incredible dialogs - but it is not the only reason. The gallery of characters which appear in this film is also a pure delight, from disarmingly cute ingenue Ann Grayle (Anne Shirley) through the tough cynical cop, Lt. Randall and his two even more cynical wingmen, all way until a certain "gal who'd take a drink, if she had to knock you down to get the bottle"...)))

There is of course a complicated riddle to be solved (in fact, more than one), people play their cards pretty close to their chests and have more hidden agendas than private detectives have debts and all secrets are revealed only progressively, slowly, with everything being explained only at the end, during a pretty dramatic finale, which some people will not survive...

The tone of this film noir is of course pretty dark but the humour softens it a lot and ultimately (after the great finale) it ends on a rather light-hearted note and in a different way than the much darker and cynical novel - and I for one found this way to end the film a very good decision and really liked it.

Bottom line, this is an EXCELLENT film, to see absolutely! Enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars The dark pit opened up and I dived right in!, 19 Nov. 2013
Spike Owen "John Rouse Merriott Chard" (Birmingham, England.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Murder, My Sweet - Farewell My Lovely [1944] [DVD] (DVD)
Well well, here we have a noir film that really has to be one of the most divisive in the genre, it would seem that some feel it's closer in texture to what Raymond Chandler wrote, and that the portrayal of Phillip Marlowe by Dick Powell is spot on in its execution.

Many others disagree completely though...

Now since I haven't read any of the novels Chandler wrote I have no frame of reference there, but having watched The Big Sleep this past week I feel the push me pull you polar opposite feelings this film creates.

Phillip Marlowe (Dick Powell) is a gruff wise cracking private eye, he is hired by ex convict Moose Malloy (a splendid Mike Mazurki) to find former girlfriend Velma who has been missing for 6 years, this sends him spiralling into a web of deceit, blackmail, theft, murder, in short all the great ingredients for classic noir, and for sure the film has a cracking plot that dovetails a treat, but is it dark enough to fully flesh out the material? I just got this annoying itch that where the film should be getting murkier and deadly dark it was in fact far too breezy, Powell does good enough, but the wisecracks to me became more of a hindrance than an enjoyment, I felt in short that I was being lifted out of the dark when I actually wanted to stay cloaked in mud.

The film is still an incredible watch, the photography from Harry Wild is lush, and the core essence of the story is bang on the money, and I should mention the cracking performances of the supporting cast, Claire Trevor and Otto Kruger join in the mystery to raise the film to a higher standard. Some scenes are joyous in the extreme, witness a nightmare sequence that is as gorgeous as it is unnerving, and director Edward Dmytryk excels in creating a bleak topsy turvy underworld, I just wish this particular film had done away with the airiness. 8/10

5.0 out of 5 stars Film Black, 27 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Murder, My Sweet - Farewell My Lovely [1944] [DVD] (DVD)
Private dick Philip Marlowe (Dick Powell) is given the task of finding nightclub singer Velma (Claire Trevor) by the thuggish, unintelligent Moose Malloy (Mike Mazurki). Moose has been in the pen for eight years and he wants Marlowe to track down his one-time lover Velma but things are complicated by the search for a jade necklace. Based on Raymond Chandler's 1940 novel Farewell My Lovely, it was released in the US with the alternate title Murder My Sweet. This was Hollywood's second version of the story after 1942's The Falcon Takes Over, a loose adaption substituting the Philip Marlowe character for that of Gay Lawrence aka The Falcon. Filmed by RKO in 1944, it was produced by Adrian Scott and directed by Edward Dmytryk, two of the Hollywood Ten. Dmytryk's made his best films in the 1940's but his movies became 'increasingly leaden and devoid of inspiration' (Quinlan) during the fifties and sixties despite larger budgets and all-star casts. This is probably Dmytryk's best film and better than Hawks and Bogart's overrated The Big Sleep. Starring Dick Powell, it marked a change of direction for the former song and dance man who took on tougher more hard-boiled roles (see Johnny O Clock, Cornered, Pitfall) until he changed direction again in the 1950's to direct and produce pictures. Typical of film noir, it is told in flashback (see Double Indemnity, DOA) and includes a surreal dream sequence when Marlowe is pumped full of drugs. It's full of fantastic dialogue that now seems like a cliche -'she was a charming middle-aged lady who had a face like a bucket of mud, I gave her a drink, she was a gal who'd take a drink, she had to knock you down to get the bottle'- and after he knocked out for the umpteenth time - ' a black pool opened up at my feet, I dived straight in, it had no bottom.' More faithful to the book that the Mitchum version it succeeds largely because of the great cast - Powell as the best ever Marlowe, Trevor as the sluttish, manipulative femme fatale, Austrian born ex-wrestler Mazurki as the childlike, love-struck Moose, Otto Kruger as the oily psychologist Jules Amthor, English character actor Miles Mander as Mr Grayle and Anne Shirley as his lovely daughter Ann - and Chandler's 24 carat dialogue. There's a TCM colourised version somewhere but watching that would be to miss the point of Film Noir.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic noir by way of Raymond Chandler, 21 Aug. 2007
C. O. DeRiemer (San Antonio, Texas, USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This one of my favorite movies. Years ago I rented a VHS of it and made a dupe at home. The quality was lousy but I liked it and played it often, but I learned my lession about making unauthorized copies. My daughter's puppy urinated all over the tape. This movie is so good it even survived that.

This is classic noir, with Phillip Marlowe. The plot is about stolen jade, hidden identities, blackmail, love, treachery and murder. The story is complicated, the casting is great, the photography and voice-over narration carry things along. It has style. The ending is satisfying. And the dialogue is some of the best ever written.

Powell broke through into serious roles with this film. Even in all the singing roles he had up to this movie he exuded cocky confidence, and that aspect of his personality is perfect here. As an aside, if you enjoy his singing movies, and I do, watch how he can smile naturally while singing; that's hard.

Claire Trevor, it seems to me, almost always played bruised roses (Stagecoach, Key Largo) or rotting orchids. You cared about her because she was one of life's losers, or you wanted to go to bed with her even knowing you might not wake up in the morning. The scene when we (and Marlowe) first meet her is just as good as the scene when MacMurray first meets Stanwyck in Double Indemnity.

Mike Mazurki as Moose Malloy is great, probably the best role he ever had. He was no actor, but he is effective and sympathetic as a slight pyscho who genuinely is in love; he's starring in his own version of Romeo and Velma.

One of the key ingredients in making this movie work is the dialogue. Quantities of it must have been lifted verbatim from Farewell, My Lovely. When Moose talks about Velma being "cute as lace panties" the imagery is vivid. Raymond Chandler, in my view, is the best author of private eye mysteries yet. If you haven't read him, dive in. Ross Macdonald and Hammett come close, but it's no three-way tie.

See the movie. Read the book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›