5.0 out of 5 stars Great Film Noir.
Published on 28 Aug 2010 by T. S. C.

3.0 out of 5 stars Powell's Acting Is Strong; Reinvigorated His Career
Published 3 days ago by Stephanie De Pue

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Film Noir., 28 Aug 2010
T. S. C. (Somewhere in NW England.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Murder, My Sweet - Farewell My Lovely [1944] [DVD] (DVD)
Bought this film a few months ago after seeing it on the telly and wanting to see it again. I have watched it a couple of times since I bought it on DVD and each time I thoroughly enjoy it. I really like the Mitchum remake too, but because this is the original and is really genuine film noir, I prefer this one (just!) Why do I, and I suspect so many others, like this movie so much? I expect there are a number of reasons; the plot is complicated but not so that you can't follow it with a bit of brainwork. The script is laconic and funny, and the atmosphere of West Coast America in the 40's is somehow timeless and magical, even though I wasn't born then and am not an American either!

For some reason, what stays in my mind about the movie, is the house on the coast overlooking the sea, and the magnificent seaview (even though in black & white) that is shown. It to me is somehow supremely atmospheric. But of course the film has much more to offer than just this. The acting from all the players for my money is superb, and the whole film is exciting and interesting and keeps me on tenterhooks from beginning to end. Well that's my opinion anyway! To me, this is Film Noir at it's finest. But don't take my word for it, check it out for yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars the best private dick, 17 Nov 2010
Huck Flynn "huckleberry" (northern ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Murder, My Sweet - Farewell My Lovely [1944] [DVD] (DVD)
a gem of a noir film featuring my favourite marlowe, dick powell. bogart was brilliant but he was bogart, mitchum just a bit too old and elliott gould pretty awful. Powell captures that worldly-wise but world weary manner perfectly and delivers his lines with a wonderfully warm cynicism. i love the voice over narrative. best of all is his relationship with the superb Moose character. The plot moves along steadily, like most of Chandler's a bit over complicated but resolves itself nicely enough. Great direction, dialogue, period mood, excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Noir, 19 July 2009
This review is from: Murder, My Sweet - Farewell My Lovely [1944] [DVD] (DVD)
Cracking dialogue, Dick Powell plays a great Marlow. Everyone drinks like hell (or pretends to) and promiscuity is rife. Excellent! The camera work and atmosphere is as good as the very best noirs.

Heartily recommend, but even better if watched with a bottle (or two) of something good.

Ignore the reviewer who said he couldn't follow the script. They make films like 'Die Hard 4.0' for him.

5.0 out of 5 stars best film noir, 20 April 2012
This review is from: Murder, My Sweet - Farewell My Lovely [1944] [DVD] (DVD)
In my Opinion Murder my Sweet is the Ultimate Film Noir. Based on stories by Raymond Chandler. it has a strong naration by Dick Powell. the performances are stellar especially Claire Trevor, who is a supurb actress, understated yet strong. It is filmed well and like many Raymond Chandler stories, twists and turns and has several complicated plotlines, which rather than detract, gives it a reality, which is often lost in purely linear naratives, which often have little to do with how one experiences life. I can watch this film over and over and have done, and never tire of seeing it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant Film Noir from a supreme Crime Writer., 15 Mar 2002
By A Customer
The way this story unfolds will keep you engrossed from the outset. Raymond Chandler was at the apex of his craft when this was released. If you like a story with a double and a triple cross then just keeps going then, "Farewell My Lovely", is for you.
The story is told in flashback by our anti-hero Philip Marlowe; a down on his luck Private Dectective in Los Angeles. He takes the simplest of jobs which leads him further and further into trouble and it becomes more and more difficult to back out.
A true classic movie of the Genre.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking Hardboiled PI Noir Flick, 8 Feb 2011
This review is from: Murder, My Sweet - Farewell My Lovely [1944] [DVD] (DVD)
"Dick Powell will forever be known as a 1930s crooner in archetypal musical comedies, but this career-changing role shows Powell at his best and remains perhaps the most faithful cinematic representation of Raymond Chandler's hard-boiled hero, Philip Marlowe, ever put on screen. In this adaptation of Farewell, My Lovely, Powell's cynical, smart-talking private eye is hired by a dim ex-con (pug-nosed Mike Mazurki) to find his girl Velma, and by the prissy stooge of a blackmail victim to babysit him during a handoff. The meeting ends with the stooge's death, and Marlowe is immediately engaged by the owner of some jewels, the wily Mrs. Grayle (Claire Trevor), to recover them. As Marlowe navigates the dark, dangerous world of wartime L.A., splitting his search between high-society haunts and the cheap, smoky bars and flophouses of the inner city, he turns up one too many stones, winds up on the wrong end of a fist, and wakes up to a drug-induced nightmare that director Edward Dmytryk delivers with a mixture of surreal symbolism and sinister expressionism. Powell delivers screenwriter John Paxton's snappy lines and droll asides with hard-boiled cynicism, like someone not quite as tough as he talks; but it's Powell's innate vulnerability that makes this reluctant saint of the city so compelling. Dmytryk's shadowy style creates a visual equivalent to the web of intrigue Marlowe navigates, an almost perpetual world of night. One of the first great films noir and an often-overlooked detective-movie classic. --Sean Axmaker" - Review from Amazon.com (as they have put the wrong one up for this movie on Amazon.co.uk)

This is a clssic noir featuring some fine performances and a typically intricate plot, as one expects from Raymond Chandler. If you like this I would also recommend the perhaps better known The Big Sleep [1946] [DVD], also an adaptation of a Chandler novel, with Humphrey Bogart playing the role of Philip Marlowe.

4.0 out of 5 stars light hearted, 16 Jan 2010
This review is from: Murder, My Sweet - Farewell My Lovely [1944] [DVD] (DVD)
i loved this film when i first watched it on betamax, and it's taken me ages to find the title. I can't wait to get it on DVD, well worth a watch if you like old school detective movies

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic noir by way of Raymond Chandler, 21 Aug 2007
C. O. DeRiemer (San Antonio, Texas, USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This one of my favorite movies. Years ago I rented a VHS of it and made a dupe at home. The quality was lousy but I liked it and played it often, but I learned my lession about making unauthorized copies. My daughter's puppy urinated all over the tape. This movie is so good it even survived that.

This is classic noir, with Phillip Marlowe. The plot is about stolen jade, hidden identities, blackmail, love, treachery and murder. The story is complicated, the casting is great, the photography and voice-over narration carry things along. It has style. The ending is satisfying. And the dialogue is some of the best ever written.

Powell broke through into serious roles with this film. Even in all the singing roles he had up to this movie he exuded cocky confidence, and that aspect of his personality is perfect here. As an aside, if you enjoy his singing movies, and I do, watch how he can smile naturally while singing; that's hard.

Claire Trevor, it seems to me, almost always played bruised roses (Stagecoach, Key Largo) or rotting orchids. You cared about her because she was one of life's losers, or you wanted to go to bed with her even knowing you might not wake up in the morning. The scene when we (and Marlowe) first meet her is just as good as the scene when MacMurray first meets Stanwyck in Double Indemnity.

Mike Mazurki as Moose Malloy is great, probably the best role he ever had. He was no actor, but he is effective and sympathetic as a slight pyscho who genuinely is in love; he's starring in his own version of Romeo and Velma.

One of the key ingredients in making this movie work is the dialogue. Quantities of it must have been lifted verbatim from Farewell, My Lovely. When Moose talks about Velma being "cute as lace panties" the imagery is vivid. Raymond Chandler, in my view, is the best author of private eye mysteries yet. If you haven't read him, dive in. Ross Macdonald and Hammett come close, but it's no three-way tie.

See the movie. Read the book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Powell's Acting Is Strong; Reinvigorated His Career, 27 Aug 2014
Stephanie De Pue (Wilmington, NC USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Murder, My Sweet - Farewell My Lovely [1944] [DVD] (DVD)
MURDER MY SWEET, 1944. This classic black and white film noir, starring Dick Powell and Claire Trevor, and many others, has been acclaimed by critics, and is considered widely influential. The crime drama captures the sharp wit and style of Raymond Chandler's underlying novel FAREWELL MY LOVELY, about his famed gumshoe Philip Marlowe. The private detective is searching for a missing moll, Velma, whom her just-released- from-prison petty crook boyfriend Moose Malloy hasn’t seen in eight years. Upon the classic thriller’s release, it was renamed so American filmgoers wouldn’t confuse it with a Powell musical; he’d spent years making listless musicals before this. But this mystery reinvigorated the actor's career, helping him to shed his choir-boy image. Respected Hollywood director Edward Dmytryk worked from a script by John Paxton.

In this witty and suspenseful Los Angeles-based film, Marlowe is reluctantly hired by Moose (Mike Mazurki, SOME LIKE IT HOT, NIGHTMARE ALLEY) to find Velma Valento, former chanteuse. The private eye also seems immediately to get involved in the case of a femme fatale local woman, Mrs. Helen Grayle, as played by Claire Trevor, (STAGECOACH, KEY LARGO) whose $100,000 jade necklace has been stolen and is up for ransom. Once involved in this apparently second case, he meets Ann Grayle, Helen’s stepdaughter, as played by Anne Shirley, (STELLA DALLAS, ANNE OF GREEN GABLES). And Jules Amthor, an influential local psychiatrist, as played by Otto Kruger, SABOTEUR, HIGH NOON. The cases prove to be just one case, and it is tougher than Marlowe expected. His initially promising enquiries lead to a web of deceit feeding on bribery, perjury, murder and theft. Furthermore, no one's motivation is obvious, least of all Marlowe's.

Direction by Edward Dmytryk and cinematography by Harry Wild are fine, giving the film a tight, economical feel, grooming shadows, yet hinting at the powerful underlying chaos and seediness of Los Angeles. Why so many successful films noir, whether black/ white or color, are set there. The acting is fine, though I did think Shirley a bit too light weight for her role. However, Powell’s is strong: author Chandler approved of his work. Powell is able to give Marlowe a common touch plus a vulnerable cynicism: his background in romantic musicals seemed to give him access to the deep emotional range needed to play the complex and conflicted Marlowe; his cynicism, his humor, his loyalty to his code. And his resonant wit.

Nevertheless, not to take anything away from this picture, upon a re-viewing, I just couldn’t get into it. Perhaps because I have no film expertise: I’m just a person who loves movies. Perhaps because Robert Mitchum is my favorite Marlowe: I think his bruised tender toughness perfect for the role and own his two outings in it: the London-set THE BIG SLEEP, and the LA-set FAREWELL MY LOVELY. But let us give praise where praise is due.

4.0 out of 5 stars The dark pit opened up and I dived right in!, 19 Nov 2013
Spike Owen "John Rouse Merriott Chard" (Birmingham, England.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Murder, My Sweet - Farewell My Lovely [1944] [DVD] (DVD)
Well well, here we have a noir film that really has to be one of the most divisive in the genre, it would seem that some feel it's closer in texture to what Raymond Chandler wrote, and that the portrayal of Phillip Marlowe by Dick Powell is spot on in its execution.

Many others disagree completely though...

Now since I haven't read any of the novels Chandler wrote I have no frame of reference there, but having watched The Big Sleep this past week I feel the push me pull you polar opposite feelings this film creates.

Phillip Marlowe (Dick Powell) is a gruff wise cracking private eye, he is hired by ex convict Moose Malloy (a splendid Mike Mazurki) to find former girlfriend Velma who has been missing for 6 years, this sends him spiralling into a web of deceit, blackmail, theft, murder, in short all the great ingredients for classic noir, and for sure the film has a cracking plot that dovetails a treat, but is it dark enough to fully flesh out the material? I just got this annoying itch that where the film should be getting murkier and deadly dark it was in fact far too breezy, Powell does good enough, but the wisecracks to me became more of a hindrance than an enjoyment, I felt in short that I was being lifted out of the dark when I actually wanted to stay cloaked in mud.

The film is still an incredible watch, the photography from Harry Wild is lush, and the core essence of the story is bang on the money, and I should mention the cracking performances of the supporting cast, Claire Trevor and Otto Kruger join in the mystery to raise the film to a higher standard. Some scenes are joyous in the extreme, witness a nightmare sequence that is as gorgeous as it is unnerving, and director Edward Dmytryk excels in creating a bleak topsy turvy underworld, I just wish this particular film had done away with the airiness. 8/10

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›