5.0 out of 5 stars Les Liaisons Stupide
Cruelly under-rated, this is easily as good as anything produce by French & Saunders, either collectively or individually. Set in the Palace of Versailles in 1782, the basic premise is similar to that of Blackadder 3. But instead of Rowan Atkinson as Edmund Blackadder braving the idiocy of Hugh Laurie as the Prince Regent, here we have Dawn French as the bored but wily...
Published on 11 Mar 2007 by pmov

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable
I never saw this when it was on TV, however I did find it funny even 10+ years on. I actually only bought it because Julian Rhind-Thutt was in it (however briefly!)
Published on 25 Oct 2011 by London Girl

4.0 out of 5 stars Let them suck cake, 17 Aug 2014
This review is from: Let Them Eat Cake: the Complete Series [DVD] [1999] (DVD)
A forgotten gem, this pre-Revolutionary sitcom has almost enough steam to see it through its six episodes. Saunders' character is too simialr to Edina Monsoon, while Dawn French's scottosh accent is distictly pit of place. Alison Steadman's trademark hysteria is put to good use as are Adrian Scarborough's camp outrage and outragious camp. I can't help wondering if Richard E Grant's cameo may have inspired his later casting as the Scaret Pimpernel. It has the subtlety, wit and grace of "Carry on don't lose you head" and is not for the the easily offended. I found it tremendous and silly fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Edina who?, 14 Dec 2009
Lx (Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Let Them Eat Cake: the Complete Series [DVD] [1999] (DVD)
Cheeky, witty puns throughout and down right hilarious - all we've come to expect from French & Saunders. Alison Steadman like you've never seen her before. My favourite line has got to be "Oh now you've gone and got your wig in the wee!". So neatly tied up in the last episode. This won't disappoint.

5.0 out of 5 stars one of the most brilliant comedies of our time, 2 Jan 2007
This review is from: Let Them Eat Cake: the Complete Series [DVD] [1999] (DVD)
i own three coppies of this series ( australian version)- one for travel -one for home and one to keep safely should anything happen to the others.fans of ab fab,french and saunders the series etc will absolutely not be dissapointed by this brilliantly written ,art directed,filmed and acted series -the historical references that pepper the dialogue and visuals scathingly achieve blatent belly laughs and the principals -french,saunders,scarborough and steadman}who play respectively the saucy slutty maid, the ignorant arrogant ditzy arristocrat, the flaming witty sarcastic gay couturier and the bitchy scheeming rival arristocrat are all HILARIOUS as are the supporting players and brilliant guest stars-the script is camp, politicaly incorrect beyond imagination ,riotous and brazen -it is filled with delicious cliche and is always surprising and intelligent, the great thing about this comedy is it doesnt have one single irritating moment of serious sentiment(aka any american sit com trying to convey a social message in between the canned laughter) just laugh after laugh with a f--k it if they cant take a joke attitude- please i employ you get this dvd strap on an incontinence pad die laughing and get your next of kin to hound peter learmouth to write another series and all others involved to do an encore.

4.0 out of 5 stars historically and hysterically funny but..., 13 Sep 2007
This review is from: Let Them Eat Cake: the Complete Series [DVD] [1999] (DVD)
This story of secrets, lies and intrigue at the decadent French royal court is something of a puzzler. On first watching the series I didn't know what to make of it. It was funny but somehow lacked finish. Like it needed just a little more rewriting or editing or something because it sometimes feels like you're watching a play.

That being said I ordered the series the second I found it on DVD. On rewatching it I was surprised that most of that "something lacking"-feeling was gone and I just enjoyed watching the series immensly. While I still think that it could have been better, I must say that it is very funny. The plots are ingeniously stupid (and I mean that in a good way), costumes and decors are beautiful, the acting top notch.
Then why only four stars? Because I do feel it could have been even better. Here's hoping that some day they make a second series that's really 5-star quality. But I do consider this as a very good buy and a very good laugh.

5.0 out of 5 stars intelligent humour, 24 Jun 2007
Critic (Athens Greece) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Let Them Eat Cake: the Complete Series [DVD] [1999] (DVD)
This is one of the best comedy series I 've ever watched!
Absolutely delightful!
It helps a lot to know a bit of France's 18th century history but the humour is so contemporary in any case! And all the actors are brilliant.
Definitely a good purchase. Scales higher than any French & Saunders show!
Now that French revolution, Marie Antoinette etc. are so popular stories again (thanks to recent films)... could we hope for a second series from Mr Learmouth? If only...

5.0 out of 5 stars "I wouldn't know a penis if I sat on one!", 22 July 2010
D.A.C "1984" (widnes,cheshire,u.k) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Let Them Eat Cake: the Complete Series [DVD] [1999] (DVD)
With risque lines like the one in my title and both Jennifer Saunders and Dawn French being tied up by a serial rapist in 1700's France it's a wonder this ever got aired.

Thankfully somebody at the BBC had a sense of humour.

I came across this at a reasonable price so snapped it up. I vaguely remembered it from the original broadcast and recalled liking it. But would I still like it 11 years later?

The simple answer is yes. It has held up very well, probably due to it being a costume sitcom rather than in the present day.

The whole cast are brilliant, the jokes are on top form and the sets and costumes make it even more enjoyable to sit through.

I put this on not expecting to still like it, but I was even surprised that I could remember certain scenes from it after so long.

Set in The Palace of Versailles in 1700's France it stars Jennifer Saunders as Comtesse De Vache and Dawn French as her maid Lisette. Both bounce of each other perfectly and it makes you wonder why they've never done a full sitcom together before, or since, come to think of it.

Alison Steadman is amoung the supporting cast as Madame la Plonge, the Comtesse's arch rival. She is just as good in the role as French and Saunders.

Whilst watching Saunders I feel like I'm watching a 1700's, parody version of Eddie Monsoon, which is no bad thing.

The situations, characters and the like are all vastly over the top, but it all works.

The worst thing about this sitcom is that it wasn't given a second series. A forgotten gem and one that deserves repeat showings.

"The Peasants are starving!"

"Let Them Eat Cake! Let Them All Eat Cake!"

"You Might Just Regret Saying That!"

5.0 out of 5 stars It's French & Saunders what more do you need to know?, 25 May 2014
Robert J. (Nashua, NH USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Let Them Eat Cake: the Complete Series [DVD] [1999] (DVD)
Hilarious, naughty, inventive. French and Saunders humour. Really do I need to say more? The sets, costumes and acting were all superb. If I could, I would have taken a half star off for no subtitles or closed captioning (which would have helped me immensely) but aside from that a wonderful "historic" romp.

3.0 out of 5 stars Let them eat cake, 5 May 2014
This review is from: Let Them Eat Cake: the Complete Series [DVD] [1999] (DVD)
If you like bawdy comedy nudge nudge wink wink then it's great I've seen French and Saunders have done better.

5.0 out of 5 stars a french and Saunders classic at it's best, 1 May 2014
This review is from: Let Them Eat Cake: the Complete Series [DVD] [1999] (DVD)
I remember this serird first time around on tv but it has never been repeated but I enjoyed it
ans very good value and fast delivery too
FANTASTIC!

5.0 out of 5 stars shame it stopped at one, 10 Jan 2014
I have watched this 3 times now have loved it
the very best of dawn and Jennifer well worth watching

Let Them Eat Cake: the Complete Series [DVD] [1999]