Format: Audio CD|Change

on 8 February 2007
I can hardly believe the haunting beauty of this cd. It is simply the best £12.99 I have spent for many years. Track 5 - "Intercession in Late October" is six and a half minutes of musical heaven ... and the rest of the cd is just as good. I was fortunate enough to hear Polyphony under Stephen Layton on Classic FM early last year doing "Water Night" from the Eric Whiteacre "Cloudburst" cd which I bought straight away. That cd is amazing ... but for Polyphony to be involved in something even more stunning on Morten Lauridsen's brilliant interpretations here leaves me speechless. Polyphony and Stephen Layton must be one of the greatest choirs ever heard. Uplifting and mesmerising, you cant help but get lost in the sweeping beauty of this superb cd. This is really something very special not to be missed.
on 1 December 2009
Lauridsen's delicious use of 9ths is clearly identified again in this superbly recorded album. Polyphony are as good as ever. But I am sure that if you are reading this I am preaching to the converted. Just get it.
on 26 March 2007
The composer Michael Tippett wrote of how an age of mediocrity and shattered dreams needed "images of abounding, generous, exuberant beauty". It is a philosophy that Morten Lauridsen continues to pursue on this outstanding cycle of lyrical and melodic songs in a renewed collaboration with the majestic Polyphony.The Mid-Winter Songs are particularly evocative, giving full expression to the paradoxical symbolism of dying/renewal, light/darkness, and sleeping/waking.Lauridsen has the unerring capacity for finding the exact musical language to embody the poetic images he works with.Listen to the creative care and tenderness inherent throughout the structure of She Tells Her Love While Half Asleep,Contre Qui Rose, La Rose Complete, and Sa Nuit d'ete. To sustain this melodic intensity across the album is a telling achievement and it finds a fittingly exultant conclusion with the heartfelt and supremely moving Sure on This Shining Night. While we have such visionary work emerging from Lauridsen and his American compatriot Eric Whitacre, music will remain a rich source of reconciliation, consolation, exhilaration and hope so desperately needed in our modern wasteland.
on 21 August 2010
This a most enjoyable collection of Lauridsen's choral music. My own favourite is "Sure on this Shining Night"; interesting to contrast this setting with that of Samuel Barber. "Polyphony" under Stephen Layton are perfection.
on 3 February 2014
It is such a blessing that we have music such as this to soothe our troubled souls. I heartily recommend this to everyone who seeks inner peace at the end of a busy day or older ones such as me who need a comforting hand to guide them. A well produced CD that will stand the test of time and be a great addition to your collection.
on 17 August 2013
Polyphony NEVER fail to provide the goods and yet again I revel in their work. The interpretation of Lauridsen's splendid work is most rewarding.
on 2 January 2015
This composer is one of my favourites and never fails to touch me with the sincerity and thoughtprovoking contents of his works. "Polyphony" does them full justice. I cannot think of any other vocal ensemble so "in tune" with anything they perform.The Guardian once called them "The finest group in the world" I believe and I second that. All hail to Steplhen Layton! Jantina Noorman.
on 27 September 2015
The Rose suite and Nocturnes are sublime. Lauridsen will appeal to those who enjoy John Rutter, but there is more dissonance, always in the perfect place.
on 13 June 2016
I bought it just for 'Sure on this Shining Light' but the rest is wonderful too. Beautifully sung, a lovely serene album.
on 26 November 2014
Amazing music by a less well known composer. Great to listen and good delivery and price