5.0 out of 5 stars In my pocket
Air can be relied on to stick to a signature sound -- lush and dreamlike -- and still be able to wedge in a bit of new material.

In the case of "Pocket Symphony," they stick pretty much to the same formula as their previous release, "Talkie Walkie" -- sweet, slightly symphonic electropop that sounds like something to dream to Yeah, same ol'. Yet somehow that...
Published on 17 Mar. 2007 by E. A Solinas

3.0 out of 5 stars Electronic Performers
Now almost 10 years since the classic Moon Safari was released, Monsieurs Dunckel and Godin once again emerge from their Parisian bunker with another slice of Gallic-tinged soundscapes, whispy melodies and movie-like operatics.

Pocket Symphony is AIR's fourth `proper' album but unlike their criminally underrated prog experiment 10,000hz Legend and the slightly...
Published on 20 Mar. 2007 by Johnny Corkers

5.0 out of 5 stars On constant play, 31 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Pocket Symphony (Audio CD)
Each track is rythmic, laid back and kewl.. gentle, subtle and uplifting.. modern classics.. hard to pick a favourite but love the instrumental tracks the most.

4.0 out of 5 stars A long time coming, 22 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Pocket Symphony (Audio CD)
I have not been very impressed with the offerings from Air since the fantastic Moon Safari. Talkie Walkie had some good moments and was listenable up to a point. However, nothing has been remotely close until now. Still far from the groundbreaking first album this is still very good and a breath of fresh air. Such a shame its taken all this time for a respectable follow up. Mind you many other acts from that time have done nothing decent for years, like Basement Jaxx, Groove Armada, Zero 7, so good to see an exception.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 19 Jun. 2007
This review is from: Pocket Symphony (Audio CD)
Suddenly you will find yourself at the end of this album wondering where the time went. There are no jarring moments of pop and no unsuccessful experimentation.

Even the inclusion of Jarvis Cocker and Neil Hannon is unobtrusive.

This record may not grab on first listen but don't let that fool you. It is consistent and enjoyable with no self indulgence that I've detected so far.

Perhaps this album should have been called, simply, AIR since that is what it feels like.

This is their best album, Consistent, entertaining and relaxing.

Enjoy

2.0 out of 5 stars 2 or 3 songs, and the rest...?, 30 Nov. 2007
AD (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pocket Symphony (Audio CD)
A few years ago Air did a song called "Don't Be Light". It wasn't very Air-esque but it hit the spot. Listening to Air in 2007 I just wish they'd follow their own advice. There are 2 or 3 good songs on this album (e.g. Left Bank, Mer du Japon) but there are a lot of very light tracks which I would actually hesitate to call "songs", because they're little more than programmed beats and keyboard sounds (i.e. they forgot to add a melody). It sounds to me as if the band were well and truly on auto-pilot whilst doing some of this album. And the less said about the Jarvis Cocker song the better (simply awful!).

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit too bland, 7 Mar. 2007
S. D. King - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pocket Symphony (Audio CD)
I loved walkie talkie and moon safari. I have been counting down the weeks for this release and I have to say I am a little disappointed. I have listened to it several times and all I can say is how bland it sounds and how lazy the tunes are. Its only redemption for me is "mer du Japon". Lets hope that this is just a breather for Air and that they come back plus fort in their next album.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the Price for "Once upon a Time" alone, 9 Mar. 2007
This review is from: Pocket Symphony (Audio CD)
I've known Air stuff from their very beginning, I mean when they weren't even a duet (i.e. Nicolas Godin unleashing all by himself the awesome "Modulor" way back in 1995). From then onwards, I must admit I didn't like their following efforts on first hearing; "Moon Safari" seemed too naive, "10 0000 Hz Legend" too extreme and "Talkie Walkie" too... radio-friendly. But then, as you probably know if you are reading this far now, Air's strongest point is that their music is so well written and so well crafted that it can only GROW on you like a rampant work of genius snakes.

So right now, as with previous albums, I feel a bit let down, as their sound seems to have barely evolved in three years time (too many Sofia Coppola movie soundtracks perhaps). It might change, anyhow, because...

... Well, because let me tell you a (small) story: first time I heard new single "Once Upon A Time", I thought "Uh, them again, all fuzzy and dreamy and gloomy and so on". After listening to it over and over (again), I went "Gosh, they did it again !". JB Dunckel's voice is wrapped around such a subtle drumbeat (very reminiscent to me of their mate Sebastien Tellier's "La Ritournelle" semi-hit, even though not as hypnotic) that layers down a delicate keyboard motif repeated for five minutes' worth of... well, it's brilliant once again.

Seen ? This is not a band, nor an act, it's an ears (and brain, and heart, and whole body by the way) trap.

4.0 out of 5 stars The new Air album is alright but could of been better, 30 Dec. 2006
Air fan (Chesire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pocket Symphony (Audio CD)
I've been an Air fan since I saw the Sexy Boy video when I was 13 and since then I have enjoyed everything that they have released, apart from 'Flowerhead', which was a dire b-side to Radio #1. As Air are my favorite band I seem to never find any faults in their music and I like this album and the songs all contain components of the Air sound, but I don't think this album is as adventurous as their previous releases, with no songs like Run, Biological, Don't be light, in terms of just doing something really different that sounds amazing. One or two of the songs sound too much like the music they were doing for the Charlotte Gainsbourg's 5:55 album, and I was expecting them to have a different sound for this album. The instrumentals are not as memorable, they just sound inferior to their previous instrumentals. A lot of the album has elements from various songs from their previous work, mainly 10,000hz legend I thought, which is nice continuity but I don't think it's a good thing when you are listening, for example Redhead Girl, has a similar sounds to the Alone in Kyoto song. I hear alot of influence of Bowie/Eno Low era in some songs as well, and overall the album does create an atmosphere that flows throughout [i.e. the songs all have a general tempo they all follow, apart from Mer du Japon, which sounds similar to their Sexy Boy/Kelly Watch the Stars days, but it's not as good]. I am enjoying the album as it is new Air material, but I just wish they were more adventurous as they usually are and I hope they bring out a follow up quickly that has a bit more oomph to it, because this album isn't boring, it's just not as good as their previous efforts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Please look past the negative reviews...., 15 Mar. 2007
Mr. A. FINN (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pocket Symphony (Audio CD)
To say there are not standout tracks is ridiculous - I will name the following tracks that have been on repeat because they're fantastic, listen to these tracks if you can and then try telling me you didn't enjoy the vibe of them...

-Space Maker

-Once Upon a Time

-Napalm Love

-Left Bank

-Photograph

-MER DU JAPON!!

-Lost Message

-Redhead Girl

All of the above are fantastic!

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 16 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Pocket Symphony (MP3 Download)
Nice warm sounds.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's no Moon Safari, but nothing ever will be, 19 Mar. 2007
Mr. G. S. Rai - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pocket Symphony (Audio CD)
I haven't got this album yet, but I listened to it plenty on Air's official Myspace before they released the album, and it's definitely a brilliant piece of work. Having owned all the other Air albums, with the exception of the Virgin Suicides soundtrack, I've found that this is one of the easiest to listen to. Moon Safari was definitely a great, genre-defining album, but it's follow up, 10,000Hz Legend was a lot harder to get into the first time, and I thought the same of Talkie Walkie. Pocket Symphony however just eminates beauty, and I think surpasses what they Godin and Dunckel achieved with Moon Safari. If you've never listened to Air before, this'd definitely be a great place to start. And for those who love Air, don't hesitate with this one, you won't regret it.

Pocket Symphony
Pocket Symphony by Air (Audio CD - 2007)